The Student Room Group

What is happening to this world?

First of all, I'm sure I'll get hate for this post, I know it is controversial but this is eating away at me so I'll post it anyway. Also in no way am I insinuating a certain race, religion or ethnicity.

What is happening to this world? I'm sure at some point we just take a step back and see the world for what it is. Hunger, poverty, fear, greed, disease.

What is happening in the middle east? ISIS? Sure, we see it on the news, another city under siege in Syria yet we get along with our lives. Of course we need to attend to our immediate lives, we can't just be consumed in fear of the inevitable. Can we?
What if I woke up one morning, walked to my bus stop only to see a plane fly through One Canada Wharf? What if on his way to work, my father was blown up on the underground? He narrowly avoided it once, who's to say it won't happen again? What if my mother went out to central London? What if she was shot by some crazy person along with a hundred other innocent civilians?

What if?

What if Donald Trump is elected president? Sure it seems far fetched, but he is leading the Republican race, way ahead of Ted Cruz. Who's to say that the he will lose? And then what would happen? Make America great again, but at what expense?

What if?

What if North Korea is really planning an attack? What if we are at the brink of a third world war? A nuclear war? According to a new report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), nine nations the United States,Russia, United Kingdom, France, China,India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea possess approximately 16,300 nuclear weapons. in total. This is a scary statisitic, but it won't affect us right?

The migration crisis. The Syrian Exodus as it where. The negativity that clouds these people who have risked everything for a safe home, a fresh start. Are they a security threat? Maybe they are...How can we be sure? Are we helping enough? Should we be helping more?

What if?

These are all hypotheses though. Just random thoughts, but who's to say that what many predict, won't come true.

We live in a scary age, how many of you can say that without a shadow of a doubt you will live till you are 70? Who knows, maybe one day I'll have to join the army, maybe one day we won't even need an army...

What if?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What if I finally stopped procrastinating on TSr and did my work?
Lol jk that's too far fetched
Reply 2
Too many questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
Too many questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, no one can predict the future. In a nutshell, what will happen to this world?
I'd much rather use my limited intelligence for playing computer games :smile:
Makes me happier than calculating risk of nuclear war etc.
Many problems that we may face. Some of which are pretty horrific. World isn't in a very good place as it is, but getting there slowly (but maybe not surely).
Reply 5
Original post by homeland.lsw
Agreed, no one can predict the future. In a nutshell, what will happen to this world?

If you had the ability, would you want to know the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The world is much better than it was at any point and will continue to improve.

Right now the worst thing is a bunch of medieval savages with antiquated weaponry we could send to hell at the point of a button. Before that it was the Nazis + Imperial Japan, WW1, the Napoleonic wars, The Great Plague, Spanish Inquisition, these are the best of times and probably the worst they will ever be. Even poverty is has been drastically cut, if you think it's bad today, you're probably a pussy compared with your granddad.
Reply 7
There's always been pain, war, disease, suffering, etc. Nothing's new.

What will happen? The semi status quo will continue. So nothing, really.
If you had the ability, would you want to know the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I wouldn't...
Original post by Drewski
There's always been pain, war, disease, suffering, etc. Nothing's new.

What will happen? The semi status quo will continue. So nothing, really.

Do you not think that eventually there will be a spark? That might set something off?
No I wouldn't...

Yet, you're somehow curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it's always been like this, we just happen to be more aware of it now but I agree, feeling Weltschmerz sucks.
Do you not think that eventually there will be a spark? That might set something off?

Set what off?

North Korea isn't a threat to anyone except South Korea and, at a push, Japan.
Isis can't hit anyone in any meaningful way.

There's nothing about to kick off that would echo the scale of a world war and no fight these days would ever takes place on the industrial scale they have in the past.
Yet, you're somehow curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I'm curious, but I don't think I would cope actually knowing what will happen. I prefer predicting :h:
Donald Trump is happening to the world.
Yes I'm curious, but I don't think I would cope actually knowing what will happen. I prefer predicting :h:

Should have told me you're a psychic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My grandparents lived through the blitz, where you ran the risk of being blown to bits every day.
I saw the arse end of the cold war, a time when nuclear obliteration was on the cards. I also lived through IRA bombing campaigns.

Take any period in history and there was **** to be fearful of. We are living in pretty tame times, tbh. I think you just suffer from a narrow frame of reference.

Bottom line, chill out and enjoy your youth.
If we are doomed to repeat history, I fear it'll be far worse than events in the past because of advancements in technology, though then again, if we were to have a World War III, who knows? It could be robots fighting our wars, while we watch from the sidelines.
Reply 18
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
My grandparents lived through the blitz, where you ran the risk of being blown to bits every day.
I saw the arse end of the cold war, a time when nuclear obliteration was on the cards. I also lived through IRA bombing campaigns.

Take any period in history and there was **** to be fearful of. We are living in pretty tame times, tbh. I think you just suffer from a narrow frame of reference.

Bottom line, chill out and enjoy your youth.

Spoiler

I can't stop it, so I'm just gonna live my life anyway :dontknow:

Fear of a future that you can't change is irrational.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending