The Student Room Group

statistics 3 (edexcel) help

Can someone please explain why for part b we time by 5 instead of 5/root n?

I don't really understand what part b is asking, and why it's approached differently to part c where we find the confidence limits.

Can someone please explain what's going on here :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Katiee224

I don't really understand what part b is asking, and why it's approached differently to part c where we find the confidence limits.

There's a difference between confidence intervals and the standard error of the mean. You might want to look the latter term up in your S3 textbook! :smile:

you use 5 because in the line above b) you are told that 5 is the population standard deviation

in the question they ask for limits for which 90% of the tubes' weights lie, they dont ask for limits for which 90% of the tubes' sample/mean weight lie

"the tubes weight" implies the whole population
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
There's a difference between confidence intervals and the standard error of the mean. You might want to look the latter term up in your S3 textbook! :smile:

Original post by DylanJ42
you use 5 because in the line above b) you are told that 5 is the population standard deviation

in the question they ask for limits for which 90% of the tubes' weights lie, they dont ask for limits for which 90% of the tubes' sample/mean weight lie

"the tubes weight" implies the whole population

So because in part b I am working with the whole population and not a sample, I use the standard deviation, instead of the standard error of the mean? :smile:
Reply 4
So because in part b I am working with the whole population and not a sample, I use the standard deviation, instead of the standard error of the mean? :smile:

No, you want to use the standard error of the mean which is given by σn\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}} where nn is your sample size! :smile:

thats pretty much how i think of it yea :biggrin: when doing s3 papers I tend to underline words/phrases such as "sample mean", "mean weight" etc because they imply using the sample distribution (and more specifically sd/root n) and you can lose big marks if you miss something like that
Original post by Zacken
No, you want to use the standard error of the mean which is given by σn\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}} where nn is your sample size! :smile:

isnt that whats happening here?

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by Zacken

thats pretty much how i think of it yea :biggrin: when doing s3 papers I tend to underline words/phrases such as "sample mean", "mean weight" etc because they imply using the sample distribution (and more specifically sd/root n) and you can lose big marks if you miss something like that

thank you both for the help :smile:

so is that why when using the central limit theorem we use the standard error of the mean, because we are always dealing with a sample?
Reply 8
isnt that whats happening here?

Spoiler

Isn't that what I'm saying? You should use that, no? I don't actually remember any of the terminology from S3. I'll shut up and leave the OP in your hands... :tongue:
Reply 9
Hehe I will go with dylans definition:wink:

thanks for the help though guys, that has cleared up the misunderstanding :h:
Original post by Zacken
Isn't that what I'm saying? You should use that, no? I don't actually remember any of the terminology from S3. I'll shut up and leave the OP in your hands... :tongue:

well the only difference (really) between part b and part c is that in b) we use the population standard deviation and in part c we are using the sample standard deviation because in b) they ask for the weight (implies population) and in c) they ask for the mean weight (implies sample)

i dont really know in the ins and outs either, thats just what ive picked up from doing past papers :laugh:

come rescue us further pure :laugh:

has it? im lost myself now :tongue:

right a good explanation bc I feel like ive confused you further;

LetW=weight of the tubes \displaystyle \text{Let}\:\: W = \text{weight of the tubes} (this is for the whole population)

b) We are talking about the whole population for this part because it says "weights of tubes", so we must use the population distribution for this part which is;

WN(502.2,52) \displaystyle W \sim N(502.2\:, 5^2)

You are looking for limits for which 90% of the weights lie, so we want to go to tables and find values of z which are exceeded with probability 0.05 (that is 5% each side)

tables tell us z=1.6449 \displaystyle z = 1.6449

this means that 1.6449 standard deviations either side of the mean should roughly contain 90% of the weights (do you remember learning something like this http://i.investopedia.com/inv/articles/site/C2CFAconfidenceinterval.gif)

so the 90% interval which will contain roughly 90% of the weights is; mean±1.6449×standard deviation \displaystyle \text{mean}\: \pm 1.6449 \times \text{standard deviation}

plugging in values we get 502.2±1.6449×5 \displaystyle 502.2 \pm 1.6449 \times 5

so interval is; [493.98,510.42] \displaystyle [493.98\:,510.42]
c) mean weight of tubes this time, this implies using the sample distribution; (and the sample size was 10)

WˉN(502.2,(510)2) \displaystyle \bar{W} \sim N\left(502.2\:, \left(\frac{5}{\sqrt{10}}\right)^2\right)

we want a 95% confidence interval this time, so we find a value of z which gives us 2.5% either side, this is z=1.96 \displaystyle z = 1.96

once again using mean±1.96×standard deviation \displaystyle \text{mean}\: \pm 1.96 \times \text{standard deviation} and plugging in our values from the distribution we get;

502.2±1.96×510 \displaystyle 502.2 \pm 1.96 \times \frac{5}{\sqrt{10}}

so the confidence interval is; [499.1,505.3] \displaystyle [499.1\:,505.3]

hope this helps :biggrin: as explaining this has helped me massively
Reply 13
;

LetW=weight of the tubes \displaystyle \text{Let}\:\: W = \text{weight of the tubes} (

I read "weight of lubes" for a second... time to get off the internet
Original post by Zacken

a 500g bottle of lube :eek: is that why you're awake all night yea? :h:
Original post by Zacken

Seems our conversation is rubbing off on other threads

Spoiler

Reply 16
Original post by Student403

Spoiler

:toofunny: bloody hell :rofl:
Reply 17
hope this helps :biggrin: as explaining this has helped me massively

it helped me quite a bit! nicely 'splained :biggrin:

Original post by Student403

Spoiler

you don't have to be so anal about it
Reply 18
right a good explanation bc I feel like ive confused you further;

your first explanation was actually more than perfect but now there is no doubt in my understanding at all hehe:smile:

the s3 book just baffles me with their awful explanations so i'm trying to fill the gaps in my knowledge with past papers haha

time for some fp2 now *gulp*
your first explanation was actually more than perfect but now there is no doubt in my understanding at all hehe:smile:

the s3 book just baffles me with their awful explanations so i'm trying to fill the gaps in my knowledge with past papers haha

time for some fp2 now *gulp*

well 2 explanations is better than one :biggrin:

yea past papers really help a lot for S3, ive only got 4 left though :cry:

are you doing FP3 also? :smartass:

Quick Reply

Latest