The Student Room Group

Should I go ahead with my A level choices?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tcameron
Sorry to burst your bubble but gcse really are not an indication of whether you'll succeed at A levels really. Chemistry and maths especially are significantly more challenging at A level and I honestly don't think gcse's reflect them well. Although AAA is good, people get A*s in these subjects and then crumble at A level.
Please choose subjects you like and don't just go for medicine due to it's reputation.

They only crumble, because they don't practice/revise efficiently
Original post by Tinka99
I am in year 11 and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and also hold 4 sixth form offers to study these. I have the ability to get the topic grades in these but just hate the subjects also I planned on studying medicine.

I am a person who loves the humanities side than science, but I am afraid to do A levels in the humanities fearing I won't get the same opportunities with a humanities or law degree as I would with a science degree.

DON'T DO IT!

And by this I mean, do not do any subject that you are not interested in, not even remotely interested in. It will save you a whole year! Last year, I was arrogant I picked subjects like Physics and Chemistry in which I had no interest in and basically failed to say the least. Even if they were less job prospects in humanities (which I'm sure there isn't) Do what you love, as it'll pay off in the long run...
Original post by SuperHuman98

Not necessarily true
The difficulty can sometimes be too much for some people, especially with stem subjects.
Tbh it's hard keeping up the motivation at A level
Original post by Tinka99
I love GCSE History and Philosophy and Ethics and would also prefer subjects such as Law, Economics, Government and Politics and English Lit.

I'm currently taking G&P and English Language&Literature at AS (Creative writing and Psychology too) and I want to have a career in law.

I would definitely consider those subjects you have mentioned. Humanities-based subjects opens loads of doors tbh.
Any questions, feel free to PM :smile: I don't bite lol
Original post by Tinka99
I am in year 11 and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and also hold 4 sixth form offers to study these. I have the ability to get the topic grades in these but just hate the subjects also I planned on studying medicine.

I am a person who loves the humanities side than science, but I am afraid to do A levels in the humanities fearing I won't get the same opportunities with a humanities or law degree as I would with a science degree.

Ok as a person who takes Physics, chemistry, maths and history for A level, wants to do physics at uni and as possibly as a career, FOR THE LOVE OF CHICKEN DIPPERS IF YOU DONT LIKE THOSE SUBJECTS DONT TAKE THEM FOR A LEVEL.
The subjects that I took I love to bits (maybe not so much chemistry but I really REALLY love physics), but there are times that I and probably other people at A level think that you have made a mistake and should of taken other subjects.
All A levels in their own way are hard and taking subjects that you hate will make it even harder for you to get motivated to get the grades. Its already hard even if you love the subject to get good grades. Why would you make it harder for yourself and why medicine if you dont like science that much?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Can I just say if you want to go to medicine the Russell group says must do chemistry and pick minimum 2 from biology physics and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by vn2410
Just wanted to ask I'm 13 and picking GCSEs I'm gonna do philosophy and history OcR andAQA are they good, I love humanities and I've got 2 as in RS and geography and an A* in history so I'm planning to do all 3 humanities and ICT plus the core , I either want to go into law or medicine (parents prefer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do AQA History and personally love the subject although it is really time-consuming subjects especially with revision with the key events, dates, names places etc. The exam questions are literally like essay writing and do require good writing skills. You should be ok with History as long as you revise and put the effort in.

I do OCR Philosophy and Ethics and the subject is really interesting and really makes you think. Some of the questions include Did god or the Big Bang create the Universe? Why does evil exist? Is abortion right? You need to revise the content and also remember key quotations to use in exam questions. It's quite a good subject to have as well as being quite interesting

The humanities at GCSE are highly respected so I highly reccommend you do them and GCSE's don't matter as much as A levels. As long as you have the right A levels for the career you want to go into you should be ok. Just pick the GCSE's you enjoy and would do well in.
Reply 47
Original post by Tinka99
I do AQA History and personally love the subject although it is really time-consuming subjects especially with revision with the key events, dates, names places etc. The exam questions are literally like essay writing and do require good writing skills. You should be ok with History as long as you revise and put the effort in.

I do OCR Philosophy and Ethics and the subject is really interesting and really makes you think. Some of the questions include Did god or the Big Bang create the Universe? Why does evil exist? Is abortion right? You need to revise the content and also remember key quotations to use in exam questions. It's quite a good subject to have as well as being quite interesting

The humanities at GCSE are highly respected so I highly reccommend you do them and GCSE's don't matter as much as A levels. As long as you have the right A levels for the career you want to go into you should be ok. Just pick the GCSE's you enjoy and would do well in.

Thank you for your advice ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tinka99
I am predicted AAA at GCSE in the Sciences and also been told by my teachers that considering my ability A level would not be too unrealistic to me. I keep on hearing that science has better prospects but I hate the sciences and Maths with passion. In the real world I can't only live on my passion I need a real job with the degree and unsure if a humanities or law degree would provide the same opportunities.

Just because your teaches feel that you are talented in science does not mean that's what you have to go on and further in, it's what you want and enjoy. Of course you can get a job from passion and if your talented at a certain subject, it's certainly better than doing something at uni that you absolutely despise, and then not wanting to put the effort in. Also from a perspective of knowing someone who did all sciences at A-level, it is a huge step up and in my view you should only take those options if you are fully dedicated to that line of work. GCSE science is totally different on a scale of difficulty than A-level. Go with what you want!
Reply 49
Original post by vn2410
Can I just say if you want to go to medicine the Russell group says must do chemistry and pick minimum 2 from biology physics and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

For medicine, you definitely need Biology and Chemistry for essentially all universities to do medicine. For Oxbridge you would also need one of Maths or Physics upon the other two but if not Biology and Chemistry should be enough.
Original post by Tinka99
For medicine, you definitely need Biology and Chemistry for essentially all universities to do medicine. For Oxbridge you would also need one of Maths or Physics upon the other two but if not Biology and Chemistry should be enough.

All medical schools require Chemistry.
Some medical schools require Biology as well
No medical school require/recommend maths (expection being one college at Cambridge Uni)
No medical school require physics
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by tcameron
This is wrong.
All medical schools require Chemistry.
Some medical schools require Biology as well
No medical school require/recommend maths (expection being one college at Cambridge Uni)
No medical school require physics

I have done quite a lot of research myself into Russell group and a lot of others and literally all have required Biology and Chemistry, so without Biology you would be highly limiting your chances in regards to universities.

This is a from the Oxford website
18% of applicants were studying Chemistry AND Biology AND Physics AND Mathematics (compared to 19% of short-listed applicants and 14% of applicants offered places).

Maths and Physics is not a requirement anywhere except that one college at Cambridge and I agree but after studying Oxford and Cambridge acceptance stats I have come to the conclusion people with more than minmum requirements have a higher acceptance rate (Maths and/or physics).
Original post by Tinka99
I have done quite a lot of research myself into Russell group and a lot of others and literally all have required Biology and Chemistry, so without Biology you would be highly limiting your chances in regards to universities.

18% of applicants were studying Chemistry AND Biology AND Physics AND Mathematics (compared to 19% of short-listed applicants and 14% of applicants offered places).

Maths and Physics is not a requirement anywhere except that one college at Cambridge and I agree but after studying Oxford and Cambridge acceptance stats I have come to the conclusion people with more than minmum requirements have a higher acceptance rate (Maths and/or physics).

I have to warn you, medicine at a top uni is ridiculously competitive so it is really not worth chasing unless you know that you will get nearly perfect A-levels. I know that medicine at Oxford is the second most competitive course they offer (after E&M).
Reply 53
Original post by BasicMistake
I have to warn you, medicine at a top uni is ridiculously competitive so it is really not worth chasing unless you know that you will get nearly perfect A-levels. I know that medicine at Oxford is the second most competitive course they offer (after E&M).

What's E and M

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperHuman98

Personally I would argue otherwise, some people work extremely hard and still dont get the grades...

Weirdly enough I did better in my A level subjects that I revised and prepared less in
Original post by Tinka99

Studying admission stats is not the best way of deciding what a levels you should do, especially when you're not even sure you want to do medicine. Taking the example of medicine at oxford, the average number of A* at GCSE for successful people is 10.6, and the process is brutally competitive. If you hate the sciences, the chances of you being one of the one in 5 ish who get an offer is slim (as you will be competing with people who truly love their subjects, have huge amounts of medical work experience, and have read around their subject so that they have stuff to talk about at uni). If you genuinely hate the sciences, why would you want to put yourself through years of doing stuff you don't want to do - if you want to do humanities than do so
Original post by vn2410

Economics and Management. For every 14 applicants, one will get a place.

And it's likely that I'll be applying for it next year but I won't be holding my breath for an offer.
Original post by Tinka99

I think your looking too much into this and too soon. Wait until you actually sit your GCSE's and then decide for definite what it is you want to do. No point listening to target grades, because let's be honest they don't mean anything.
Reply 58
Original post by BasicMistake
Economics and Management. For every 14 applicants, one will get a place.

And it's likely that I'll be applying for it next year but I won't be holding my breath for an offer.

Good Lucj

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tinka99

The only one's which make sense to do are biology and chemistry.
Doing maths or physics will not put you at an advantage at all, especially if you cannot deliver the grades.
This is by chance that those people also do maths and physics but that does not mean you'll have a better chance of an offer.
They deal with students individually and if they do not require/recommended maths or physics. People who are doing other subjects will have just as much chance - again providing they can get the grades.
Maths is probably the most popular A level so in relative terms, more are bound to do it and I don't think trend is exclusively for Medicine applicants either.

You're choosing the hardest a level's which you yourself don't enjoy at just gcse level. I'd suggest thinking logically. Do subjects you think you will enjoy.
Trust me, I do biology and chemistry and did maths at AS. All subjects I enjoyed a lot at gcse which A levels have one way or another partly killed my enjoyment due to the sheer difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest