The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by Motorbiker
Combine sooooooooooooooon.

Anyone particularly interested in anything there?

I want to see if anyone wins the million dollar prize put up by Adidas (maybe, could be a different company) for beating the 40 yard dash record in a pair of their shoes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid if you've never seen it that it's a dreadful spectator sport. Obviously that's not the point of it but it's seriously not a good watch. The 40 yard dash prize might make it more interesting but I don't think the record will fall. Rich Eisen's run is always a highlight but that's like 2 minutes of 3 days. Hardly any good QB's throw so you're sat watching endless 40 yard dashes, 3 cone drills and vertical jumps. I'd much prefer just to read the stat sheet come the end and view the highlights if anyone does anything remarkable.
I love it when the big guys run. Love watching the DBs, RBs and the WRs go at it though. I love the gauntlet that they run...which is pretty cool. Jameis and Mariota threw from what I can remember of last year as well.
For what it's worth, here's my three round mock draft...

Round 1
01. Tennessee Titans: Laremy Tunsil, LT, Mississippi.
Elite left tackles don't grow on trees. After getting their franchise QB, it's time for the Titans to protect him for the next decade. Tunsil is worthy of the #1 overall pick, with excellent technique.

02. Cleveland Browns: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State.
The value is with Joey Bosa or DeForest Buckner...but that's too mainstream! Sigh, the Browns will probably pick up a QB. I like Wentz just a shade more than I do Jared Goff though. I'd be surprised if the Browns didn't to try and move this pick.

03. San Diego Chargers: DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon.
With needs on both lines, the Chargers must get maximum value from this pick. With the top two DE available, the issue is scheme fit; Buckner fits better in the Chargers' 3-4 scheme than Bosa, so I'd pick him here.

04. Dallas Cowboys: Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi.
The Cowboys generally won't be picking in the top-5 that often, so for them this is a chance to pick up a real game changer. That game changer could be Laquon Treadwell, who would definetely energise their receiving corps, which didn't do that much.

05. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State.
--. Jacksonville Jaguars: (Dante Fowler, OLB, Florida.)I'd still include getting Dante Fowler Jr. back from his ACL injury as a bonus first round pick for the Jags, so I think it is important that they address their hideous secondary. Jalen Ramsey will be a star at safety or corner.

06. Baltimore Ravens: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State.
If Joey Bosa is still available, this card is turned in within seconds. This would be bad news for teams, because it would mean they screwed up. Ravens don't really have a need here, but Suggs and Dumervil are not getting any younger.

07. San Francisco 49ers: Jared Goff, QB, California.
I would strongly suggest that the value is with Myles Jack, but, with teams lurking for a QB, the 49ers could be pushed into taking one. Kaerpernick or Gabbert are simply not the answers at the game's most important position. Goff will need to adjust from the spread offense, but he will be an ideal fit in Chip Kelly's scheme.

08. Miami Dolphins: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida.
The Dolphins would have an excellent dilemma over where to go for this pick. Although Myles Jack, Reggie Ragland and others are still on the board at this point, it is more important that Miami address their secondary. Grimes is not the player he used to be, and he's the best that they've got. VH3, despite being shaky down the stretch, is the best pure corner in this draft.

09. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson.
With Vernon Hargreaves III off the board, this will spark a run of sorts on CBs. Alexander is a close second to VH3, and is worthy of being a top-10 pick. Tampa simply must address their woeful secondary.

10. New York Giants: Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA.The New York Giants desperately need an inside linebacker who can cover. If Jack is available, this card is turned in within seconds because he can do that and more. Forget the concerns about the knee. It won't affect his draft stock much.

11. Chicago Bears: Jaylen Smith, ILB, Notre Dame.
--. Chicago Bears: (Kevin White, WR, West Virginia.)
Like I considered Dante Fowler Jr. with the Jaguars, it's important to think that the Bears will be getting a bonus first rounder in Kevin White, who gives the Bears a strong 1-2 receiving corps on the outside, especially with Alshon Jeffrey a lock to get the franchise tag. The Bears defense has been missing a leader in the middle, and would love to get Jalen Smith here. He's a new age LB, and they go quite high these days.

12. New Orleans Saints: Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor.
This is a loaded draft for defensive talent, and the Saints can go in a few directions with this one. They need all the help they can get on the d-line. With that in mind, Andrew Billings is the pick. He's big and athletic, and can play in even or odd fronts. He's a beast, as they say.

13. Philadelphia Eagles: Darian Thompson, S, Boise State.
Game-changing safeties are difficult to come by, and are important first round picks. Teams shouldn't be concerned about him, because the tape jumps off. He's in play in the middle of the first round with a good combine anyway. This could be Lynch if Doug Pederson falls in love with him, but the value isn't there at #13.

14. Oakland Raiders: Ronnie Stanley, LT, Notre Dame.
The Raiders could go in a few directions with this one. I'd pencil in Stanley here, because he could be the team's RT from day one, with the intention to eventually replace Donald Penn in the future. He is a technically sound tackle who could even go higher.

15. Los Angeles Rams: Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama.
It was supposed to be so simple. Then, the Rams released James Laurenitis, Chris Long and Jared Cook. That's a gutsy move, for sure. The best value would be to replace Laurenitis with Reggie Ragland which would disappoint a lot of teams below. Ragland's a beast. Enough said.

16. Detroit Lions: Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State.
It is tempting to put a WR here, especially with the uncertain future of Calvin Johnson. However, Detroit, desperately need to improve their protection for Matt Stafford. Their o-line was garbage at every position. Taylor Decker is a fine tackle, and would improve the line right away.

17. Atlanta Falcons: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson.
And relax, ATL fans. If Shaq Lawson's available, he's going to be the pick. He's very tough, playing the National Championship on a damaged MCL. Led the nation in TFLs. He has all the tools to have a great NFL career. With Vic Beasley and Grady Jarrett already on the roster, Atlanta should look to Clemson more often.

18. Indianapolis Colts: A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama.
The rebuild for this terrible defense must begin in the trenches. A'Shawn Robinson wouldn't deserve to fall this far based on his dominant college career and NFL traits, but it's a deep draft. Someone will have to fall. Whoever gets him will absolutely love him.

19. Buffalo Bills: Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Mississipi.
This is just a Rex Ryan pick. Robert Nkemdiche, would have been a top-5 pick if he was just a little more mature off the field.

20. New York Jets: Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech.
The Jets simply must address their secondary. Antonio Cromartie and Darelle Revis' play fell off the cliff last season, and they won't be getting younger. Kendall Fuller's a solid pick here, despite his injury concerns in college.

21. Washington Redskins: Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama.
Washington's struggles running the ball begins with their center, and Ryan Kelly would represent an upgrade from day one.I wouldn't normally take a center in the first round, but the center anchors the o-line, and a good one raises the play of those around him. Kelly's going to be great.

22. Houston Texans: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State.
It must be tempting for the Texans to get a QB here, but Bill O'Brien will only have designs on Hackenberg. With Arian Foster a professional hospital patient who's career has been interrupted by playing football, Ezekiel Elliot would provide Houston with another gamechanger on offense. He's going to be Todd Gurley good, or better, able to contribute on all three downs. Based on talent alone, Elliott is a top-10 player, and he should go much higher than #22 overall.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor.
The Vikings are crying out for a difference maker at WR. Stephon Diggs may or may not be the guy, but it will be imperative that the Vikings surround Bridgewater with weapons. Corey Coleman, despite his frame, should be able to make a difference straight away, with his strong hands and smooth route running.

24. Cinicinatti Bengals: Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State.
As it stands the Bengals will lose some pieces of their receiving corps. They won't be able to hold on to everybody. Michael Thomas is a raw route runner, but at this point in the first, he's worth taking a chance on, due to his NFL size and speed. AJ Green and Michael Thomas? Yikes.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State.
For all the talk about the Steelers potentially having the best defense next year it needs to stop until they fix their atrocious secondary. Eli Apple could go higher if he has a good combine, but he's an important piece. The Steelers would do well to double-down on cornerbacks since Allen isn't getting any younger.

26. Seattle Seahawks: Shon Coleman, LT, Auburn.
The Seahawks have a very deep roster and will be able to go best player available. Whatever happens with Russell Okung, Shon Coleman would be a great pickup here. The Seahawks need to improve their line and Coleman would do just that.

27. Green Bay Packers: Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Missouri.
I like Kentrell Brothers a lot, and I think his draft stock will rise considerably. Although Clay Matthews has played very well on the inside, the Packers need a 3-down coverage linebacker, to move him to the outside, which seems to be the plan. With KC obvously lurking, #27 feels right.

28. Kansas City Chiefs: Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama.
Kansas City, despite their dominant defense, have needs in the trenches. Jarran Reed is being pegged as more of a run stuffer, but that would be a perfect role for him in KC. I think he should be fine as a tone-setting run-stuffer to replace Mike DeVito on their line.

--. New England Patriots: (selection forfeited)

29. Arizona Cardinals: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky.
Noah Spence could pretty much go anywhere from mid-first to mid-second round, but he could develop into an ace-pass rusher, and the Cardinals need to desperately address pass rush.

30. Carolina Panthers: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State.
Superbowl 50 showed that the Panthers desperately need some help at the bookend position. Michael Oher played well enough to be considered a success, but the Panthers need some help.

31. Denver Broncos: Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson.
The Broncos first pick should be to address the defensive line. John Elway likes to go best player available. Kevin Dodd, has the NFL frame and pass rush ability to replace Malik Jackson, and should also be able to move around on the defensive line. Bill Kollar will be banging the table if he is available, because Dodd could be dominant at the next level.

Round 2
32. Cleveland Browns: Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh.
33. Tennessee Titans: Jonathan Bullard, DT, Florida.
34. Dallas Cowboys: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama.
35. San Diego Chargers: Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame.
36. Baltimore Ravens: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech.
37. San Francisco 49ers: Josh Doctson, WR, Texas Christian.
38. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana.
39. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: James Cowser, OLB, Southern Utah.
40. New York Giants: Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia.
41. Chicago Bears: Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech.
42. Miami Dolphins: Vonn Bell, FS, Ohio State.
43. Los Angeles Rams: Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor.
44. Oakland Raiders: Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah
45. Los Angeles Rams: Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State.
46. Detroit Lions: Scooby Wright III, ILB, Arizona.
47. New Orleans Saints: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State.
48. Indianapolis Colts: Shilique Calhoun, OLB, Michigan State.
49. Buffalo Bills: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis.
50. Atlanta Falcons: Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State
51. New York Jets: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas.
52. Houston Texans: Christian Hackenburg, QB, Penn. State.
53. Washington Redskins: William Jackson III, CB, Houston.
54. Minnesota Vikings: Artie Burns, CB, Miami (Fla.)
55. Cincinnati Bengals: Kyler Fackrell, DE, Utah State.
56. Seattle Seahawks: Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State.
57. Green Bay Packers: Rashad Higgins, WR, Colorado State.
58. Pittsburgh Steelers: Vadal Alexander, G, Louisiana St.
59. Kansas City Chiefs: Kyler Murphy, LT, Stanford.
60. New England Patriots: Su'a Cravens, OLB, Southern California.
61. Arizona Cardinals: Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State.
62. Carolina Panthers: Deiondre Hall, CB, Northern Iowa.
63. Denver Broncos: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah.

Round 3
64. Tennessee Titans: Pharoah Cooper, WR, South Carolina.
65. Cleveland Browns: Jerald Hawkins, OT, Louisiana State.
66. San Diego Chargers: Jalen Mills, FS, Louisiana State.
67. Dallas Cowboys: Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State.
68. San Francisco 49ers: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia.
69. Jacksonville Jaguars: Nick Vigil, ILB, Utah State.
70. Baltimore Ravens: Carl Nassib, DE, Penn. State.
71. New York Giants: Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas.
72. Chicago Bears: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State.
73. Miami Dolphins: Sheldon Day, DE, Notre Dame.
74. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU.
75. Oakland Raiders: Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State.
76. Los Angeles Rams: Antonio Morrison, OLB, Florida.
77. Philadelphia Eagles: Chris Jones, DE, Mississippi St.
78. New Orleans Saints: Tyler Matakevich, ILB, Temple.
79. Philadelphia Eagles: Vadal Alexander, G, Louisiana State.
80. Buffalo Bills: Bronson Kaufusi, DE, Bringham Young.
81. Atlanta Falcons: Charon Peake, WR, Clemson.
82. Indianapolis Colts: Jack Allen, C, Michigan State.
83. New York Jets: Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford.
84. Washington Redskins: Kenny Lawler, WR, California.
85. Houston Texans: Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford.
86. Minnesota Vikings: Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma.
87. Cincinnati Bengals: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois.
88. Green Bay Packers: Germain Ifedi, G, Texas A&M.
89. Pittsburgh Steelers: Janson Fanaika, DE, Utah.
90. Seattle Seahawks: Christian Westerman, G, Arizona St.
91. Kansas City Chiefs: Kris Frost, ILB, Auburn.
92. New England Patriots: Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State.
93. Arizona Cardinals: Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State.
94. Carolina Panthers: Aziz Shittu, DE, Stanford.
95. Denver Broncos: Rees Odhiambo, G/T, Boise State.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2083
Kap puts a trade request in with Chip as the new HC :confused:
Original post by Wattsy
Kap puts a trade request in with Chip as the new HC :confused:

He's not a fit. Chip's system depends on having a QB with an accurate short passing game, and with mobility. People forget, how fast and mobile Blaine Gabbert is.

However. Jared Goff would be a logical and great fit for Chip Kelly.
Kap's mechanics are pretty bad at this point, enough to make you wonder if he's a good fit anywhere really. Easiest way to see why people talk about this is to search on Google images for "Kaepernick throw." Notice that in pretty much every picture his left arm is in a different position. Then search for "Brady throw" and compare.

Consistent mechanics mean consistent accuracy, which is important in any offense nowadays.
Reply 2086
I really do not want to see Blaine Gabbert winning, it would cement the position of the last Jags regime as the worst in Franchise and maybe even NFL History. I'd sort of forgot that was a possibility given that he used to sack himself in Jacksonville and I've not watched much 49er football this year.
The brakes have to be pumped on Bosa! He's good, but he's not a game-changer, and any team expecting him to be one is going to be disappointed. He's too slow to be a linebacker, and he's too small to be an end. He has good handwork and technique, and is a high-character football player who should develop nicely as a power end. In reality, there's 10-15 players who are better in this draft.

Teams are going to be very happy with Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd though. Is Clemson a DL-U or a WR-U? I don't know. Here's a list of the DL and the WRs they've put into the NFL recently. To think Lawson and Dodd could join them, is a real testament to their coaching staff. Charone Peake could well be a first-round receiving talent. Great blocker, and has the size and speed combination that teams crave.

Vic Beasley
Da'Quon Bowers
Andre Branch
Corey Crawford
Malliciah Goodman
Grady Jarrett
Jarvis Jenkins
Brandon Thompson
DeShawn Williams

Jaron Brown
Martavis Bryant
DeAndre Hopkins
Adam Humphries
Sammy Watkins
Watched a bit of Jared Goff the last couple of days. He looks very refined. Haven't watched any of Wentz but I wouldn't hate the Browns picking Goff so far. Miles better than Weeden or Manziel. Agree they will probably go QB, but I think it's probably a good move for them.
Reply 2089
Brakes on Bosa were the last thing the Jags needed! They need Jalen Ramsey at #5 and with him being **** hot at the Combine he's probably headed to the Chargers :frown:
Original post by Wattsy
Brakes on Bosa were the last thing the Jags needed! They need Jalen Ramsey at #5 and with him being **** hot at the Combine he's probably headed to the Chargers :frown:

If Jalen Ramsey isn't available, there's a good chance Myles Jack would be available. With him next to Telvin Smith, the Jags would have one of the best LB corps in the league (despite Paul Posluszny.)
)

If not go for DeForest Buckner...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2091
Original post by jammy4041
If Jalen Ramsey isn't available, there's a good chance Myles Jack would be available. With him next to Telvin Smith, the Jags would have one of the best LB corps in the league (despite Paul Posluszny.)
)

If not go for DeForest Buckner...

I'm warming to Jack I have to sayI and the talk is that he's potentially Kuechly good and well that would be awesome. I know nothing about Buckner really but #5th pick gets you a 4-3 DT in the deepest DT draft of my NFL watching life and possibly all time? I don't know how that represents value. You can get a great interior lineman at the top of the 2nd; you can't get a FS or LB with true star power there.

They also have a problem if they don't get Ramsey because who on earth is playing FS which is an absolute lynch pin in the defensive system? Eric Weddle as a stop gap guy? Eric Berry would be ideal if it all goes Pete Tong negotiating with KC but it probably won't.
Reply 2092
So, Peyton. Never a guy that I liked as a character but the guy was elite for a seriously long time. You have to think the records will stand for a while too. As far as Canton goes, he's in first ballot with no questions asked.
Peyton and Charles Woodson will hit the Hall of Fame together. The way it was supposed to be.
Reply 2094
Peyton and Charles Woodson will hit the Hall of Fame together. The way it was supposed to be.

Money is starting to FLY in Free Agency! The Jags and the Raiders can literally pay what they like for players though so all of this talk of overpaying is a bit redundant. Nobody gets all their incentives through the life of the contract and if they did then they'd represent value.

Can I have the run down on Malik Jackson though please? I feel like adding him to our DL is a great move because it needed help but I don't know all that much about his game
Mariota and Murray at titans is dangerous. Add in drafting a decent WR and they're set.

Who do people think cowboys will draft at 4? I've heard ezekiel Elliott, rb, a lot as well as bosa, the de. A few others are saying if Wentz or Goff are left we should get them and sit them behind Romo for a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Mariota and Murray at titans is dangerous. Add in drafting a decent WR and they're set.

Who do people think cowboys will draft at 4? I've heard ezekiel Elliott, rb, a lot as well as bosa, the de. A few others are saying if Wentz or Goff are left we should get them and sit them behind Romo for a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My favourite scenario is the Cowboys getting Laquon Treadwell, the best receiver in the draft. Him and Dez Bryant, would be a crazy 1-2 pairing. The value isn't there to address other needs. I'd trade down to around #11 to get Ezekiel Elliot. That said, if Jack or Ramsey are somehow there, I'd go with them.
Reply 2097
My favourite scenario is the Cowboys getting Laquon Treadwell, the best receiver in the draft. Him and Dez Bryant, would be a crazy 1-2 pairing. The value isn't there to address other needs. I'd trade down to around #11 to get Ezekiel Elliot. That said, if Jack or Ramsey are somehow there, I'd go with them.

The fact is they'll probably have at least Jack/Bosa/Buckner to pick from:

#1 Titans - Laremy Tunsil LT
#2 Browns - Wentz QB
#3 Chargers - Ramsey FS/CB (This could literally be anyone though)
#4 Cowboys - Jack/Bosa/Buckner
#5 Jaguars - A choice of the two remaining guys/Hargreaves CB
#6 Ravens - The last one of that top group/Stanley OT
#7 49ers - Any of the remaining 'Top 6' guys/Goff QB
(edited 8 years ago)
At #4 you want a game changer. the Cowboys are not a team who should be picking in that range that often (Ravens too)...so I can't see Bosa or a QB. I'd be incredibly surprised if Bosa's going to be a game-changer at the next level. The Cowboys should be looking at a QB in the third or fourth rounds to groom behind Romo.
Reply 2099
You say the Cowboys shouldn't be picking at #5 a lot but if Romo keeps getting snapped every season then that's exactly where you're going to be. It's the same for every team without an elite defence. This should really be the Jags last top 5 pick for a long time with a promising looking QB and a young core but injuries happen sometimes and sometimes seasons just don't go to plan. You also don't want to be like the Texans; crap but not crap enough to draft a good QB without trading up because that scuppers all kinds of plans.

I don't think they'll go QB in the 1st though, it just seems premature. I'd like to see them draft Bosa just because that would mean Jack would fall to us, with Jack and Smith lining up between Poz or even Jack playing MLB and Smith and Irvin outside, the linebacker core becomes very serious.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest