The Student Room Group

poundland installed security gates, is this for unscanned barcodes ? (shoplifters ?)

My local Poundland in our shopping centre has just had those alarm gates fitted at the entrance, the type that trigger an alarm when somebody is shoplifting.

This is just poundland ( not pound stretcher) and every single thing is £1.

Are these alarm gates there for people when they shoplift, the barcodes on the item trigger the alarm ?

I understand it is sometimes tags that trigger alarms, but barcodes do too, but usually on the more expensive stuff.

Are poundland using security gates to be alerted to shoplifters via the unscanned barcodes ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry OP your shoplifting days are done.
Who'd want to nick things from primark lol
Reply 3
Original post by dniy-10
Sorry OP your shoplifting days are done.

Original post by _icecream
Who'd want to nick things from primark lol

I'm not a shoplifter

I just wondered, is it to trigger alarms if the barcodes are not scanned ?
Original post by I love life
I'm not a shoplifter

I just wondered, is it to trigger alarms if the barcodes are not scanned ?

Yeah
Reply 5
who'd want to nick things from primark lol

poundland, not primark

read the post you fool
Reply 6
Original post by dniy-10
Yeah

Thanks, It just new to see them in poundland, guess they have had a lot of thieves lately in store and the barcodes will set off alarm to help catch them
My local Poundland in our shopping centre has just had those alarm gates fitted at the entrance, the type that trigger an alarm when somebody is shoplifting.

This is just poundland ( not pound stretcher) and every single thing is £1.

Are these alarm gates there for people when they shoplift, the barcodes on the item trigger the alarm ?

I understand it is sometimes tags that trigger alarms, but barcodes do too, but usually on the more expensive stuff.

Are poundland using security gates to be alerted to shoplifters via the unscanned barcodes ?

sounds more like one way gates that stop people picking up stock from near the door and running out again...
Reply 8
OP sounds dodgy af
Security gates do not trigger barcodes lol, or at least they only one in very niche high end shops with exclusive items.

So no, only tagged stuff, which tbh I didn';t think poundland had, unless like some other discounters they do perfumes, but they're usually in a locked cabinet.
Reply 11
why are you concerned about alarm gates? if alarm gates are installed,it is meant to prevent shoplifting and that is.
poundland, not primark

read the post you fool

ok weirdo
ok weirdo

??

ur the weirdo
Original post by Joinedup
sounds more like one way gates that stop people picking up stock from near the door and running out again...

what do u mean ?
??

ur the weirdo

Says the guy with a bar code fetish
Says the guy with a bar code fetish

lol

Guess it does look a weird to have a barcode fetish, my property isn't being egged though ( yet) so people can't think I'm so weird
Original post by joey11223
Security gates do not trigger barcodes lol, or at least they only one in very niche high end shops with exclusive items.

So no, only tagged stuff, which tbh I didn';t think poundland had, unless like some other discounters they do perfumes, but they're usually in a locked cabinet.

right, so the barcodes on perfumes e.t.c set off an alarm if not scanned by the barcode ?

cheers
right, so the barcodes on perfumes e.t.c set off an alarm if not scanned by the barcode ?

cheers

Nah not barcodes, I mean some expensive perfumes might have an actual device (actual plastic device) attached which would set it off if the member of staff doesn't remove it (usually they have a device to snap it off on the till), like some clothes and high value alcoholic beverages have in some retailers (mainly clothes though).

If it just has a barcode and nothing else, it shouldn't set anything off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending