The Student Room Group

My eyes hurt after staring into a barcode scanner's beam, is this serious ?

Hi

I was at a local petrol garage tonight and there was a bunch of kids being served in front of me and taking a very long time, perhaps 5 minutes, think they knew the woman behind counter and kept talking for ages to her.

While waiting in the que my eyes kept darting into the path of an extremely bright barcode scanner, it was very bright with many beams bouncing out of it and flickering very brightly, I was basically stood in line with it and kept looking into it several times, maybe even for 10 seconds at one point.

I notice most barcode scanners these days are much brighter than they used to be, much more aggressive looking, is it because barcodes are security devices too and need a strong laser to deactivate them to stop alarms going off ?

Anyway a few minutes after leaving the petrol station garage I feel my eyes hurt a fair bit and feel sore, still feel quite sore now.

Could it be related to the barcode scanners and how can I make sure it doesn't happen again anytime soon ?

thanks
Reply 1
I want to answer the question with a question so..

Why have you been staring at scanner light? You know, you could have just turned around or actually tell the employee to place the scanner in the right position.

At the moment, don't strain your eyes. It should pass after a couple of hours.

By the way, scanners are designed to be safe for eyes but you never know. If the problem persists, I would advise you to visit eye doctor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Impressive
I want to answer the question with a question so..

Why have you been staring at scanner light? You know, you could have just turned around or actually tell the employee to place the scanner in the right position.

At the moment, don't strain your eyes. It should pass after a couple of hours.

By the way, scanners are designed to be safe for eyes but you never know. If the problem persists, I would advise you to visit eye doctor.

do all shops have barcodes that set off alarms if nt scanned ?
Original post by I love life
do all shops have barcodes that set off alarms if nt scanned ?

You seem quite intent on finding out the answer to this. My advice would be don't shoplift.
Reply 4
Original post by milliemogs
You seem quite intent on finding out the answer to this. My advice would be don't shoplift.

well apparently the answer is yes, barcodes set off alarms if not scanned
Never look directly at a barcode scanner, it might just cost you :mmm:
If it has destroyed your eyes, look on the bright side (pun): At least you'll be able to pay for the new eyes, now they're scanned!
Original post by ByronicHero

That's really scraping the barrel for a pun.:biggrin:
Original post by JamesN88
That's really scraping the barrel for a pun.:biggrin:

:hat2:
Original post by ByronicHero

Original post by Tinemither
If it has destroyed your eyes, look on the bright side (pun): At least you'll be able to pay for the new eyes, now they're scanned!

You terrible people! :redface:
What?
On that note, that's not even how bar code scanners (mainly) work.
Original post by XcitingStuart
What?
On that note, that's not even how bar code scanners (mainly) work.

what do you mean by '' that's not even how barcode scanners mainly work ?
I notice most barcode scanners these days are much brighter than they used to be, much more aggressive looking, is it because barcodes are security devices too and need a strong laser to deactivate them to stop alarms going off ?

Anyway a few minutes after leaving the petrol station garage I feel my eyes hurt a fair bit and feel sore, still feel quite sore now.

Could it be related to the barcode scanners and how can I make sure it doesn't happen again anytime soon ?

thanks

Not all bar codes are tagged. For cheap items, this'd be the case 'cos it's more wasteful.

Any tags will still have to be removed at the counter so the alarm doesn't go off.

At e.g. self-service, the bar code will tell the machine the product, and the weight, so people can't put down extra stuff and steal like that as well.
Not all bar codes are tagged. For cheap items, this'd be the case 'cos it's more wasteful.

Any tags will still have to be removed at the counter so the alarm doesn't go off.

At e.g. self-service, the bar code will tell the machine the product, and the weight, so people can't put down extra stuff and steal like that as well.

thanks
thanks

np
np

thanks
Reply 16
Yes, there is a potential risk for sustaining eye damage by barcode scanners, as other types of lasers. I did the exact same thing and have had many years now of misery and problems. I´ve one of the most educated persons in Sweden about science and trivial discussions about laser-induced reported problems and damages. To make a long story short - never stare into a laser!! Ever! Our eyes has inherent optical mechanisms for averting weak directed radiation, but not even that is a sure thing. If you are going to the eye doctor they will rarely find an abnormality in the tissue after a low effect laser. So they are still selling out patiens rather than doing a thorough search in the litterature (scientific) which a have.And the long version: No there is no difference in the wavelenghts. Output effects are the same. We can discuss amplitudes of wavelengths and perceptions of the eyes of these for the different nanometers but in the end with set output effects, its the same threat for the eye. People tend to mess these two parameters up.One of the most important things about lasers: not all persons are represented by the old (stronger models and methods (in vivo)) that were conducted during the 60s, 70s, and 80s, that serves as the foundation for chosen classes of output effects. Only 50 percent of the scientific selection was representing 100% of people. When 50 percent of the rabits were without anomalies after exposure - that was the chosen bar for allowed output effects. These models and methods do a good job for how problems manifest today with percieved problems without any detectable damages for many people from low effect lasers.When scientists during this pioneering works evaluated class 2 which is a very common range of laser outputs in society today, they were not considering it safe as many sloppy scientists have depictured it today. No! Although scientists considered the output effect to be low enough to let that strenght be relatively unregulated compared to higher classes of output effects. The laser regulation implemented in EU is thereby encuraging users of this class to use it after the set instructions that in English could be desbribed as say: standard use. This include to not ever direct a class 2 laser into such and angle that it hit persons eyes. Together with an overall responsible use!Today we have class 2 lasers in phones as AF lasers, barcode scanners, laser rotators, distance mapping lasers, cameras, spirit levels and other gadged lasers. Many of these lasers are used in a way that eye exosure is unavoidable. And of course we have lots of reported problems from laser exposeure today! What a chock!The most distusturbing thing with lasers as such is although that obviosly there hasn´t been a need from the start to have detectable anomalies in the eye tissue to subjectively experiencing problems. Thats is clear from reported problems from people after exposure.This is the top of the iceberg. So please respect that laser is an subject that takes time. Its not something you can read about, even from this publication by me, and just come into. I´ve spent years in the scientifical litterature and are comparing the old models with those used today. I´m still learning. So put demands and be critical to the info you read since there are so much crap out there. And as I mentioned, not even the eye doctors are into this subject. I have spent many hours mailing them in different countries and the image is horrifying.Take care and be clear with people over the counter: take that laser away from me!! I dont want to have it in my eyes! Think of where you ar directing that thing!
Please check thread dates before posting.

Latest

Trending

Trending