The Student Room Group

BA Fine Art 2016 applications

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by paniikki
I have an interview for Fine Art at Chelsea College of Arts next week. Does anyone know what the interview is going to be like? Any advice, tips or something? I'm really nervous...

Also, has anyone got information on how many usually get an interview or an offer for Fine Art at Chelsea? I couldn't find any stats on UAL's website.

I had mine yesterday! They made us wait for 4 hours ! The interview process starts by you leaving your portofio in the room as they look through it privately. After that you're called in to have a one on one interview which literally lasts around 15 mins. They ask all the questions they sent in the email, however what I'd say is that since you have such little time to discuss your work, really condense the information down as to make sure you are able to really get your points across. After that they ask if you have any questions and then leave you to make your own way out the door ahah. Overal it was very different to my past interviews but maybe that was due to time constraints. By the time the 4 hour wait was over, there was no more tours going, so if you're after a tour maybe go earlier ? :smile: Good Luck !! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 141
Has any one else had there slade interview yet ?
How long does it usually take for Goldsmiths BA fine arts decision to be made after an interview?
I know it takes about 2 weeks, but I want to hear real experience on how long it takes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ylmf
I was given an offer at the end of the interview for Newcastle , but reading through other threads from previous years it seems like some people didn't hear back until late March about interviews so there's still a lot of time I think.

Could you tell me a bit about the interview? How it works and what they ask you etc?
Original post by Art.s
I didn't get an offer straight away but I have now, I think they'll still be looking through a lot of people's portfolios, but now I don't know whether to go Newcastle or Loughborough

Well done on your offer! What did they ask you and how did the interview work? Got mine soon and very nervous
Original post by 2avantgarde4me
Hey, I had mine last week. Fairly straight forward, left my work down on a table and allowed a member of staff to have a look while I waited outside. After around 5 minutes they invited me in and asked a number of straight forward questions (Running themes in your work, why Chelsea, why fine art BA etc, any questions for us), all fairly informal and it was over quite quickly. They take around half of people interviewed, good luck!

Original post by gjs2
I had mine yesterday! They made us wait for 4 hours ! The interview process starts by you leaving your portofio in the room as they look through it privately. After that you're called in to have a one on one interview which literally lasts around 15 mins. They ask all the questions they sent in the email, however what I'd say is that since you have such little time to discuss your work, really condense the information down as to make sure you are able to really get your points across. After that they ask if you have any questions and then leave you to make your own way out the door ahah. Overal it was very different to my past interviews but maybe that was due to time constraints. By the time the 4 hour wait was over, there was no more tours going, so if you're after a tour maybe go earlier ? :smile: Good Luck !! :smile:

Thank you so much for answering! Doesn't sound too bad :smile: And thanks for the good luck, I'm going to need it haha!
Reply 146
Original post by Alice du Fresne
Could you tell me a bit about the interview? How it works and what they ask you etc?

It's really relaxed! They take your portfolio in whilst you're having the tour and then when you go into the interview they will have your portfolio laid out having already looked through it - they just asked me to talk through a particular series of paintings in portfolio and asked questions as I was explaining - v conversational. After I had talked about my work they just asked me the general questions like why Newcastle etc and then gave me the opportunity to ask them questions. They were very friendly. The student that gives you the tour will be in your interview as well, which makes it a little less scary. Good luck!
Original post by ylmf
It's really relaxed! They take your portfolio in whilst you're having the tour and then when you go into the interview they will have your portfolio laid out having already looked through it - they just asked me to talk through a particular series of paintings in portfolio and asked questions as I was explaining - v conversational. After I had talked about my work they just asked me the general questions like why Newcastle etc and then gave me the opportunity to ask them questions. They were very friendly. The student that gives you the tour will be in your interview as well, which makes it a little less scary. Good luck!

That's so helpful thank you! In terms of general questions did they ask about your personal statement or artists or exhibitions that have inspired you or just about the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Original post by Alice du Fresne
That's so helpful thank you! In terms of general questions did they ask about your personal statement or artists or exhibitions that have inspired you or just about the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The artists/exhibitions stuff kind of came up when I was talking about my work, I mentioned an exhibition from a few years ago that really inspired me and went on to talk about other artists, I tried to kind of incorporate it into what I had to say. There were some things in my personal statement that they asked me about, like a course I did last year but it wasn't a huge part of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 149
Annybody know how many people goldsmiths fine art and art history interview and how many they actually take? I remember they said they get about 450 applications? Also anybody have any advice for the interview for this course, getting very nervous now 😐
Anyone else have their slade interview yesterday? Was an incredibly odd experience - I think I came across as too aggressive.. I was literally spewing ideas? I suppose maybe that's a natural response to the time constraint and stress of the situation. They were pretty grilling, one of the comments made was "it certainly looks like modern art" and then another chipped in like "that's a pejorative btw"... Not feeling particularly positive either lol
Reply 151
Original post by creamteapunk
Anyone else have their slade interview yesterday? Was an incredibly odd experience - I think I came across as too aggressive.. I was literally spewing ideas? I suppose maybe that's a natural response to the time constraint and stress of the situation. They were pretty grilling, one of the comments made was "it certainly looks like modern art" and then another chipped in like "that's a pejorative btw"... Not feeling particularly positive either lol

Who did you have doing yours? The room below or above ? Are you applying for the painting pathway?
Original post by gjs2
Who did you have doing yours? The room below or above ? Are you applying for the painting pathway?

I don't remember their names- downstairs room, I had two women, one curly haired and one sort of pixie looking, and a friendly old(ish) man. I'd probably end up doing media but they didn't ask/I hadn't really considered. What about you? X
Reply 153
I don't remember their names- downstairs room, I had two women, one curly haired and one sort of pixie looking, and a friendly old(ish) man. I'd probably end up doing media but they didn't ask/I hadn't really considered. What about you? X

Yeah I had the same ones, think I was after you :smile: I chose painting !
Original post by gjs2
Yeah I had the same ones, think I was after you :smile: I chose painting !

What do you mean, did they ask you to choose? How did it go, were any of them particularly grilling you?

Also I found it weird at the end because for the photo she basically forced me to hold up a specific piece like "I think this one is representative of your work", even though I protested
(edited 8 years ago)

You're not the only one, I'm also slightly worried if I came across a bit stubborn or overbearing, like whatever instantly came to mind was said - all due to stress of time constraints.

That was a bit of an odd comment on your work, maybe it was to challenge you in some way?? If so then personally I see it as a positive, at least they were engaging with the work in a way that could open up some sort of discussion?? I didn't feel/wasn't particularly challenged during my interview, I think there was one question that I was asked but I didn't quite answer because I wasn't sure what it meant (lol), so I (regrettably) sort of just brushed it over by talking about something else as though I were answering the question :s-smilie:... Alsooo, were you asked about how you would start to go about making work??

The panel hadn't mentioned anything to do with a chosen pathway

Usually interviewees are asked to choose a piece of work to be photographed with? That wasn't my case either - a tutor quickly chose a piece of work for me to hold and another placed these two small-ish objects that I had brought in beside me; I suppose this was done due to lack of time?

Overall, they tend to not give any clues as to how well you've done, so there's no knowing whatsoever until the official response
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by doner kebab
You're not the only one, I'm also slightly worried if I came across a bit stubborn or overbearing, like whatever instantly came to mind was said - all due to stress of time constraints.

That was a bit of an odd comment on your work, maybe it was to challenge you in some way?? If so then personally I see it as a positive, at least they were engaging with the work in a way that could open up some sort of discussion?? Did they say anything positive? I didn't feel/wasn't particularly challenged during my interview, I think there was one question that I was asked but I didn't quite answer because I wasn't sure what it meant (lol), so I (regrettably) sort of just brushed it over by talking about something else as though I were answering the question :s-smilie:... Alsooo, were you asked about how you would start to go about making work??

The panel hadn't mentioned anything to do with a chosen pathway

Usually interviewees are asked to choose a piece of work to be photographed with? That wasn't my case either - a tutor quickly chose a piece of work for me to hold and another placed these two small-ish objects that I had brought in beside me; I suppose this was done due to lack of time?

Overall, they tend to not give any clues as to how well you've done, so there's no knowing whatsoever until the official response

Yeah I was asked about how I'd go about making work, but he kind of rephrased the question to be like 'how would you cope with there being no set projects' and I basically said that I had enough material to sustain me, and that I don't really take any notice of the project briefs on foundation since I'm constantly making my own work and passing it off as foundation work.

I didn't really know how to respond to them choosing the piece for me, since I was visibly unsatisfied with the piece they'd chosen, but at the same time if that's the piece they wanted to remember me by then so be it…

Sigh, such a profound experience hah. What did you think of the studios?
Yeah I was asked about how I'd go about making work, but he kind of rephrased the question to be like 'how would you cope with there being no set projects' and I basically said that I had enough material to sustain me, and that I don't really take any notice of the project briefs on foundation since I'm constantly making my own work and passing it off as foundation work.

I didn't really know how to respond to them choosing the piece for me, since I was visibly unsatisfied with the piece they'd chosen, but at the same time if that's the piece they wanted to remember me by then so be it…

Sigh, such a profound experience hah. What did you think of the studios?

Yeah I agree haha, i've only just started to come down from it all, trying to occupy as much of my time doing things that distract me from thinking about it

As for the studios I really like them, they're all in close proximity to each other, whereas some of the other places that I've visited their studios are generally more spread out and not as connected (have a larger student intake also), so there's less of a sense of community. I suppose if there isn't enough space in the studio to do something in then there is always a chance to book a room to yourself. Going around, it all looked slightly chaotic (with work and that) which is great; there is a true art school vibe... What did you think?? Have you applied to other places?
Original post by doner kebab
Yeah I agree haha, i've only just started to come down from it all, trying to occupy as much of my time doing things that distract me from thinking about it

As for the studios I really like them, they're all in close proximity to each other, whereas some of the other places that I've visited their studios are generally more spread out and not as connected (have a larger student intake also), so there's less of a sense of community. I suppose if there isn't enough space in the studio to do something in then there is always a chance to book a room to yourself. Going around, it all looked slightly chaotic (with work and that) which is great; there is a true art school vibe... What did you think?? Have you applied to other places?

Ah that's interesting that you say that - I personally felt that it wasn't spacious enough and a little too small, I'm quite an insular artist despite my work being about collectivism/social relations haha. Though I did like the chaos of it too, and I was impressed with the work I saw when I was walking around. And no I've only applied to the Slade as I originally applied for academic courses (politics, philosophy etc). So it was my one chance at art school! What about you/have you got a place anywhere else?
Ah that's interesting that you say that - I personally felt that it wasn't spacious enough and a little too small, I'm quite an insular artist despite my work being about collectivism/social relations haha. Though I did like the chaos of it too, and I was impressed with the work I saw when I was walking around. And no I've only applied to the Slade as I originally applied for academic courses (politics, philosophy etc). So it was my one chance at art school! What about you/have you got a place anywhere else?

Ohh ok that's different, so do you have any preference, for example, would you rather go to art school?

Recently had interviews at CSM and Chelsea, last one is at Goldsmiths, no responses yet...
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply