The Student Room Group

Tell me theres more to life than a 9-5??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
Nine to Five is amazing !

I like what info now tbh. 7 - 7 and I effectively get half the month off. I get 6 full days off in one week! (I do have to work nights and weekends)
Reply 41
Original post by The_Internet
I like what info now tbh. 7 - 7 and I effectively get half the month off. I get 6 full days off in one week! (I do have to work nights and weekends)

my sarcastic point which many kids missed ...
Original post by Andy98
The only guarantee of life is death

Posted from TSR Mobile

And taxed

Original post by Feel Tha Bern
Your post highlights how we have an innate need for danger and hardship

Working 9-5, 5 days per week is not bad at all, people used to spend every hour of their waking lives toiling on farms or down toxic mines, but still people seem less happy today. Modern life is extremely easy, but I don't think it addresses our more primal needs. Growing up it always shocked me how people from ghettos who live the most brutal lives seem so much more happy and less angsty than my whiteboi friends from affluent backgrounds.

Money doesn't buy you happiness true

Original post by Reue
You were 50% correct.

Well try not sending your kids to school :biggrin:
Original post by Reue
How old are you? And at what age do you think you'll be kicking the bucket?

I've been around the sun thirty three times and have no anticipation of when I'm going to snuff it. There are plenty of ways to perish some sudden some not so.
Original post by Superhotfire
Please tell me the ultimate goal of life isnt:
Birth
School
9-5 job
Die

Cycle continues...

Please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. This is as good as life gets.

You just have to learn to find happiness in the small joys in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45

Well try not sending your kids to school :biggrin:

There's no legal requirement to send your kids to school in this country, only a requirement that they receive an education. How they obtain that education is up to you.
That's pretty much it. That's why you need to find a career you enjoy but also pays well, find a partner you love and are happy with and finally have hobbies. It's very important to find an outlet that makes you happy and lets you be 'you'.
Reply 47
And taxed

There's no guarantee of living long enough to get taxed...
Original post by Andy98

This is true
Original post by Reue
There's no legal requirement to send your kids to school in this country, only a requirement that they receive an education. How they obtain that education is up to you.

Well they are essentially being "schooled" , even if not in an actual school
Reply 50
Well they are essentially being "schooled" , even if not in an actual school

Clutching at straws :wink: it's still not 'going to school' as the OP inevitably intended.
Original post by Asuna Yuuki
It's how the system's worked for millennia. You put something into society, you get something back out.

PRSOM
To the OP:

What you're feeling is normal. Everyone faces it.

When you're young, you think, "If only my parents paid more attention to me" or "If only I had that toy" or "If only I had that cookie" then you'd be happy.

Then, you get older and think, "If only that boy/girl I liked liked me back" or "If only the school I wanted to get in to would let me in" or "If only I got that car I wanted", then you'd be happy.

Then, you get older and think, "If only my kids would listen" or "If only my spouse showed they cared more" or "If only I could get some time off work" then you'd be happy.

This desire is special - You feel hungry, there is such a thing as food. You feel lonely, there is such a thing as companionship. You feel horny, there is such a thing as sex.

This desire exists throughout your life and can be filled only by something special - You -were- made for more than a 9-5 job and a meaningless existence, and I promise you that thing exists that you're looking for. You just have to have the courage to find it, the humility to accept it and the strength to hold on to it.
Reply 53
This is true

:top:
Original post by Andy98

Actually there's no guarantee of not living long enough to get taxed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XMaramena
Birth - unavoidable, sorry.

School - unavoidable, will probably be ****, sorry. Actually, this is avoidable. No law in the UK says you have to attend school

University - will be epic, you'll make friends for life. No. Just no

9-5 job. These are the working hours of most jobs. You're free to choose whatever you like, or even better, make your own. We live in a world where almost anyone can become self employed doing what they love now. Unfortunately, most people lack the commitment and dedication to see it through, and end up in what you would call a "desk job", as the safe option.

Marriage, Kids - epic, you'll make friends for life.

Retirement - all the pressures are gone, and you can do as you like. Depending on how good your "9-5" job was, this could be as early as 50.

Die - unavoidable. At the moment. There is a pill that can drastically slow down your aging though. Don't think it's been released yet, when it does it will likely be far too expensive for most people. But again, depending on how good you made your 9-5 job, it's always a possibility.

There you go, doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

Still sounds bad
Original post by Superhotfire
Please tell me the ultimate goal of life isnt:
Birth
School
9-5 job
Die

Cycle continues...

Please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds better than a nightshift. Your very detailed timeline misses out retirement and it depends on your career aspirations as to how your days will pan out
gotta throw marriage and children into there but yeah that is pretty much life for most of us
Yeah work in a high skilled job it's 8-6/7 :frown:.
Original post by TeeEm
Nine to Five is amazing !

What jobs have you had?

Quick Reply

Latest