The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

We DO NOT NEED to eat MEAT

Scroll to see replies

To everyone thinking that animal's lives are somehow equally important to those of humans- think again. Humans are made in the image of God while all the chickens, cows and other animals are not. The Bible even states that we should 'kill and eat'. Jesus Christ himself- who never committed a sin- was not a vegetarian and ate fish, confirming that it is nothing wrong with eating meat. Of course, we don't need to eat meat, but we don't need to eat potatoes or lettuce or tomatoes either. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't.
Original post by Ethereal World
and these lean body goalz ftw :yep:

And good digestion.

And good skin and hair.

Oh and energy levels.

All things that have improved on a vegan diet above :yep:

Yass! *high fives*
Hardest part is cheese. I didn't eat eggs anyway because intolerant. Not a fan of milk.

But cheese. Hmmmmmm. :sad:
I get that but it has to be done differently. The thread title alone is gonna create a situation whereby meat eaters come in and just say mmmm bacon :perv:

Humans know we don't need a lot of things but we still do them because we like to do things. We don't NEED alcohol...etc.

The way I would do it (though I don't bang on about being a vegan) is just say put a thread up... put 5 reasons why I'm vegan. and then just explain why it is your choice- it's a much better way to educate people than telling them what they are doing is inherently wrong.

yes, people won't listen to that, his delivery is cringe...he looks like a nutcase.

I'm a vegetarian and listening to that never converted me.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Oh and one more thing, if vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all their food? Banter

That originality though. Amazing.
Original post by Trapz99
To everyone thinking that animal's lives are somehow equally important to those of humans- think again. Humans are made in the image of God while all the chickens, cows and other animals are not. The Bible even states that we should 'kill and eat'. Jesus Christ himself- who never committed a sin- was not a vegetarian and ate fish, confirming that it is nothing wrong with eating meat. Of course, we don't need to eat meat, but we don't need to eat potatoes or lettuce or tomatoes either. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't.

Responding purely from a Christian perspective, I have to disagree with you. Did Adam and Eve eat meat in the garden of eden? No, God said I give you plants to eat. Humans are designed to be vegetarian and our biology reflects this
Original post by RickmanAlways
[video="youtube;U5hGQDLprA8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hGQDLprA8[/video]

Take an hour of your time to watch this please.
Gary Yourofsky is brilliant and this will change the way you think.
We dont. Need to eat. MEAT.

At this very moment i am clubbing a seal.
Responding as an intelligent person, your beliefs are wrong and frankly hilarious.
Hardest part is cheese. I didn't eat eggs anyway because intolerant. Not a fan of milk.

But cheese. Hmmmmmm. :sad:

Milk, cheese, yoghurt and chocolate are very hard to give up. I admire your willpower. I didn't even know it was possible to be intolerant to eggs.

But, whatever, I don't get why people are so hostile to vegans and vegetarians, even if some are militant everything you say makes sense and it's even scientifically supported that being vegetarian is beneficial to your health. It's so weird
Not to get into a debate on Christianity, but it's been proven definitively that we evolved from earlier species of primates and were not specially created. The majority of mainstream Christian doctrines also acknowledge that the Biblical account of creation in Genesis was intended as allegory and not a literal recounting of how humanity began.
Original post by MountKimbie
You can't compare 200 years ago to now. That's ridiculous.

Humans and animals are not equal. I wish we could live in a world where we didn't eat meat, but we won't, and don't. We've eaten meat since the dawn of man and that will never change.

I have bigger fish to fry than worry about meat consumption. I'd rather concern myself with how we treat eachother as human beings first.

I think it's legitimate to compare 200 years ago to now. I think 200 years ago, people probably said that they had owned slaves since the dawn of man, and that it would never change. If we can stop eating meat in two hundred years' time, I'll be happy.

Humans and animals are exactly equal - humans are animals. The difference between a human brain and the brains of other species is one of degree, not of kind. There is no obvious, distinct line that separates sentient animals from non-sentient ones.

Probably the biggest fish that currently needs frying is climate change. Meat consumption, through the emissions of livestock, is a massive contributor to climate change. World hunger is a very large fish. Meat consumption contributes to that too, by ensuring that the most economically viable way to farm does not feed the most people. Cancer and heart disease are also fairly significant fish that could be dealt with to a large extent by removing fatty meats from peoples' diets.
Original post by heineken
Responding as an intelligent person, your beliefs are wrong and frankly hilarious.

Did you read the first line of my response? I was responding to him from the perspective of his faith; there is no need for you to butt in and give me your opinion on those beliefs
Hence why I said 'responding from a Christian perspective' and not 'responding from an atheists perspective'
There really is no need to be so terse.
Reply 54
I think it is morally incompatible with my morals/beliefs so I choose not to
Original post by heineken
There really is no need to be so terse.

There was no need to imply I am intellectually inferior
That's sort of my point- you're making a point from a demonstrably incorrect "perspective". It renders your argument moot.
But he was arguing from the perspective of a believer in the Christian faith and myself also being part of that faith I am knowledgeable about what the Bible truly says. Nowhere does it say that humans are allowed to abuse animals. He is wrong.

Anyway, I'm not getting into a discussion about religious belief here, at least not one that isn't relevant to vegetarianism. It's off topic
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I think it's legitimate to compare 200 years ago to now. I think 200 years ago, people probably said that they had owned slaves since the dawn of man, and that it would never change. If we can stop eating meat in two hundred years' time, I'll be happy.

Humans and animals are exactly equal - humans are animals. The difference between a human brain and the brains of other species is one of degree, not of kind. There is no obvious, distinct line that separates sentient animals from non-sentient ones.

Probably the biggest fish that currently needs frying is climate change. Meat consumption, through the emissions of livestock, is a massive contributor to climate change. World hunger is a very large fish. Meat consumption contributes to that too, by ensuring that the most economically viable way to farm does not feed the most people. Cancer and heart disease are also fairly significant fish that could be dealt with to a large extent by removing fatty meats from peoples' diets.

Slavery still exists, just in a slightly different form.

Humans are not equal to animals in the eyes of the law (yes humans are animals but I need to use the word animals to differentiate them from us). In what way do you think humans equal to animals? Sentience?

If a child and a dog are drowning in a river with similar chances of survival you'll go for the child. Bit of a silly situation to imagine, but you get the point.

Been watching Cowspiracy have we?
Vegan not vegetarian

Latest

Trending

Trending