The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485: 28th June 2016

The official thread for the OCR Physics A Fields, particles and the frontiers of physics :colonhash:

Exam date: 28/06/2016
Time: 9:00am
Duration:120 mins

The Newtonian World thread can be found here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3931801

Good Luck guys let the odds be ever in our favour!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
im doing this course too.
took me ages to find a thread on it!
hows your revision going?
have u completed your coursework yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bennyboy_007
im doing this course too.
took me ages to find a thread on it!
hows your revision going?
have u completed your coursework yet?

Was it in the right thread or did I put it in the wrong thread and no one could find it?
Been revising and learning the content by myself with the help of a tutor since October
If you mean ISA as in coursework, yes and no. Its a long story

How is your revision going?
How far is everyone on their course?
We just finished radioactivity/half life and going onto fission and fusion (which I'm quite excited about tbh)

also - I found it pretty easy from the second page of the main a level directory thread :/
Original post by Laurenafenete
Was it in the right thread or did I put it in the wrong thread and no one could find it?
Been revising and learning the content by myself with the help of a tutor since October
If you mean ISA as in coursework, yes and no. Its a long story

How is your revision going?

i typed stuff into the search bar relating to this i didnt use the threads. lol
oh no!! :s-smilie: whys that?
its going ok thanks. i have quite a bit of G485 left to do though :/ dunno how the teachers plan to fit it all in.
Original post by pheobetheminion
How far is everyone on their course?
We just finished radioactivity/half life and going onto fission and fusion (which I'm quite excited about tbh)

also - I found it pretty easy from the second page of the main a level directory thread :/

Ah thats good to hear, we will hopefully be going onto astrophysics

i typed stuff into the search bar relating to this i didnt use the threads. lol
oh no!! :s-smilie: whys that?
its going ok thanks. i have quite a bit of G485 left to do though :/ dunno how the teachers plan to fit it all in.

Same ;(
The physics dept here isn't that good
I do Edexcel but happy to answer any questions or give out help if needed on any topic except astro (haven't covered it yet)
Original post by Laurenafenete

Same ;(
The physics dept here isn't that good

i feel your pain mate!

we have 2 physics teachers. ones alright, while the other is a horrendous teacher!! hes like one of those mad scientists that goes on a ramble and doesn't stop, all while scribbling formulas on his board.. all in a very strong irish accent!if he isnt doing that then he finds an online powerpoint and goes though that - most of the time it loosly relates to our course
(edited 8 years ago)
i feel your pain mate!

we have 2 physics teachers. ones alright, while the other is a horrendous teacher!! hes like one of those mad scientists that goes on a ramble and doesn't stop, all while scribbling formulas on his board.. all in a very strong irish accent!if he isnt doing that then he finds an online powerpoint and goes though that - most of the time it loosly relates to our course

Ahahahahahaha that was basically me last year, however the irish physics teacher was really good! Best one I've ever had (trust me I've gone through 9 physics teachers in a year and 1/2). The other one was S**t, but could talk the talk.

Now we just have two crap ones because the two from last year left.
Reply 10
do we want to analyse the previous past papers on this thread,
I have the 2015 ones..
Original post by Dabo_26
I have the 2015 ones..

That's a pretty good idea - have you done mocks yet?

I've found reading examiner reports is really useful as well, sometimes they say what will definitely be focussed on in the next paper
Original post by Dabo_26
I have the 2015 ones..

Which ones? Both the Newtonian world and frontiers of physics?
suprise
I do have a question: On the Jan 12 paper question 3 b) ii) I intentionally didn't times BA by N, because the description for the graph was:
"Fig 3.2 shows the consequent variation of the magnetic flux density B at right angles to the plane of the coil X with time t."
Because it said coil, I thought it would be incorrect to times it by the number of turns in the coil, because it implies that it shows the data for the whole coil.
What would you have done?
Original post by ukcolBehT
I do have a question: On the Jan 12 paper question 3 b) ii) I intentionally didn't times BA by N, because the description for the graph was:
"Fig 3.2 shows the consequent variation of the magnetic flux density B at right angles to the plane of the coil X with time t."
Because it said coil, I thought it would be incorrect to times it by the number of turns in the coil, because it implies that it shows the data for the whole coil.
What would you have done?

I would've multiplied by N.
Ok, reason?
Alright, looking back at it, I think I really should have, but the only reason is that they gave you the number of turns, and they're probably not going to give you information you don't need.
Have they ever been tricky with it and gave information that wasn't needed? Because if they never did, then this is a new "rule" for the exam for me.
Original post by ukcolBehT
Ok, reason?
Alright, looking back at it, I think I really should have, but the only reason is that they gave you the number of turns, and they're probably not going to give you information you don't need.
Have they ever been tricky with it and gave information that wasn't needed? Because if they never did, then this is a new "rule" for the exam for me.

The magnetic flux density doesn't depend on the number of coils, the induced voltage does. So if they give you the 'flux density', they give it as a quantity independent of N.
I guess I didn't read it properly, because now it is so clear. Thank you
IMG_20160622_200606.jpg

I need help on this, how do you do c) and d)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending