The Student Room Group

Have you ever met any university students who have helicopter parents?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Most (all?) will have cleaners for the shared/public areas.

Well they had cleaners for the reception area in the building foyer and for the non flat areas. But anything within your flat you had to clean yourself, so you had to clean your own bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms and hallway. That's how it was in all the accommodations I visited.
Original post by SophieSmall
Argh, I would have hated catered halls so much.

They were to best, the food was half decent and all the meat came from the uni farm. Never had to cook for yourself when you were hungover. Just roll out of bed for lunch and get a take out.
Original post by DiddyDec
They were to best, the food was half decent and all the meat came from the uni farm. Never had to cook for yourself when you were hungover. Just roll out of bed for lunch and get a take out.

eh I like making my own choices and variety, that and I hate having to stick to someone else schedule.

Of the catered accommodations I looked at you had to get your food within certain time slots, usually a couple of hours. Nah, screw that.
Reply 63
My neighbours had a helicopter and would fly in now and again but that was when I was at college not uni. Err on a personal note my parents just don't give a ****. When I was at uni my mum went to south america for two years my father has been estranged for a long time now and my brother and sister and me just don't give a **** about each other but then I am weird so I do understand.
eh I like making my own choices and variety, that and I hate having to stick to someone else schedule.

Of the catered accommodations I looked at you had to get your food within certain time slots, usually a couple of hours. Nah, screw that.

I liked it for the first year, regular meal times and never needing to make a choice as there were always 3 options. I spent the majority of my uni career either drunk or hungover and it made my life a lot easier.
One mother was discovered during Freshers Week living in her daughter's Halls room - she wanted to 'share the excitement with her' and was worried 'she wouldn't be able to find her way to lectures' without her guidance. The same mother then booked a 'half-term holiday' for her daughter and was amazed that Unis don't have half-terms. And then in December she phoned her daughter's tutor asking where her daughter's end-of-term-report was ......

No I'm not joking.
Reply 66
Well they had cleaners for the reception area in the building foyer and for the non flat areas. But anything within your flat you had to clean yourself, so you had to clean your own bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms and hallway. That's how it was in all the accommodations I visited.

Your own flat? Yep that would be your responsibility.
I know a relative who got accepted into Cambridge and his parents moved to a house in Cambridge so they can still live as a family (they thought that he would go out and drink alcohol/smoke if he lived in halls).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Your own flat? Yep that would be your responsibility.

Yep.

Just seen a lot of people talking about having accommodation cleaners that take their rubbish out, clean their kitchen and vacuum for them and do the bathrooms ect.
Yep.

Just seen a lot of people talking about having accommodation cleaners that take their rubbish out, clean their kitchen and vacuum for them and do the bathrooms ect.

Don't forget iron your shirts and fold your clothes.
Reply 70
Original post by Zacken
There's a "watch" button at the top of the thread. You can click that instead of commenting.

savage
Original post by gutenberg
I had a friend who lived in halls on-campus at a city centre university. His mum used to walk through the uni every morning on her way to work (there's a train station at the back of th uni, and lots of people use it as a walk-through to get places), and she would come and knock on her son's door every morning to make sure he was up, make him a cup of tea, and then go on her way! :eek: I don't think she really got involved in other ways, but still...! This is 100% true btw, the mother told me herself!

what uni is this?
Reply 71
Ive chosen to live at home for uni so my parents are sort of gonna be on my case 24/7
Reply 72
Am I the only son who put their parents on voicemail and didn't talk to them for a whole month? Oops.
Original post by whorace
Am I the only son who put their parents on voicemail and didn't talk to them for a whole month? Oops.

More like whole term.
Reply 74
More like whole term.

Had to drop a sneaky text to check they hadn't moved the day before I left obviously.
Original post by Guls
what uni is this?

It's one in Ireland.
Original post by returnmigrant
One mother was discovered during Freshers Week living in her daughter's Halls room - she wanted to 'share the excitement with her' and was worried 'she wouldn't be able to find her way to lectures' without her guidance. The same mother then booked a 'half-term holiday' for her daughter and was amazed that Unis don't have half-terms. And then in December she phoned her daughter's tutor asking where her daughter's end-of-term-report was ......

No I'm not joking.

Good grief!

My dad once jokingly suggested I moved to London just to get away from them.
Isn't that what the cleaners were for?

only for communal areas
Original post by doodle_333
only for communal areas

Not at my uni.
mine are surprisingly laid back, i know they still care and worry about me but we speak only every few days, phonecall once a week at most, they came up to my halls twice to help me stock up on stuff and all but overall i think that me moving out has made them realise that no one stays a little child forever. they became a lot nicer to me too.

Quick Reply

Latest