The Student Room Group

Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Just want oreos
my username makes me hungry too :frown: also loving that you made ur own hashtag xD

:console:

I figured I need my own hashtag coz there are so-called 'Third World' problems. Then there are First World problems. And then there are TLG Problems :cool:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Unlikely but based on past experiences, would never say never. I could stretch as far as high-church Anglican, realistically. Not very far beyond that (am Roman Catholic) :jebus:

Then there's no hope for me. :cry:
I don't have any. But if I decided to get married for some crazy reason I would marry a religious person if he accepted me for who I am and would not try to convert me. Also, he would have to agree not to indoctrinate the children and let them choose their own path.
Reply 23
Original post by spv
Saachi?

For me, it would probably be a no, unless Jain, then yes.

Yeah, but as long as I'm not asked or encouraged to convert (and nor would I ask it of her).
I guess it would be easier and more convenient in the long run to get married to someone from the Dharmic faiths though, but if she wasn't I wouldn't let that come in the way.

What about Sikh or Buddhist for you though?
I already have. It's not really a big issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
Then there's no hope for me. :cry:

Awww hunny bun :frown: :console: :jumphug:

You never had a chance anyway ...

Spoiler

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Awww hunny bun :frown: :console: :jumphug:

You never had a chance anyway ...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman

Spoiler

:sad:

:jumphug:
To give a serious answer to the OP: probably not. I have a feeling that it would cause way too many problems even in the early stages of the relationship, let alone the (likely) vehement disagreements over how best to raise children when we get to it. Just not worth the trouble. I wouldn't mind going out with somebody who was an agnostic/deist/non-affiliated person, though, despite me being a very firm atheist.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, or it depends? But most probably no.
Original post by pinkishwhite
No, or it depends? But most probably no.

that use to be my exact response:laugh:
Probably not. I'm not very religious and wouldn't want to marry a religious fanatic
Reply 32
Original post by sa33d97
im vegan

looool

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah as long as she doesn't try to convert me
Probably not. If they are moderately religious it may work but if they are very religious i pretty much cant see how it would work
Reply 35
Original post by nucdev

What about Sikh or Buddhist for you though?

Sikh= for the most part, Punjabi= not my type haha (except Priyanka Chopra..hahaha)
Buddhist, idk. haha
For me, it's Gujarati or nothing. And that kinda ends up meaning Hindu or nothing. Tbf, I can't say I would be too comfortable with something other than Hindu. Though, I'd accept atheist/agnostic weirdly?
I'm just weird.. :/
Reply 36
Original post by spv
Sikh= for the most part, Punjabi= not my type haha (except Priyanka Chopra..hahaha)
Buddhist, idk. haha
For me, it's Gujarati or nothing. And that kinda ends up meaning Hindu or nothing. Tbf, I can't say I would be too comfortable with something other than Hindu. Though, I'd accept atheist/agnostic weirdly?
I'm just weird.. :/

:sexface: for PC Lmao

Well it makes sense that you would say Jain - they're mostly Gujaratis and they're atheist too so right up you're street :laugh:
yeah
Reply 38
Original post by nucdev
:sexface: for PC Lmao

Well it makes sense that you would say Jain - they're mostly Gujaratis and they're atheist too so right up you're street :laugh:

Funny thing, I didn't even realise they were atheists. In my brain, I associate Hindu, with Jain, thinking they were similar, but they're kinda not.
I'd rather not. Too many complications in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending