The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZaiKay
Same here! I think that if the option to select London was available when you booked the test, we should be ok.. Just over 2 weeks to go, eeeek!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sitting in London! Big relief :redface:
Original post by anillatoo
Anyone knows what is the latest time to get accepted in the admissions centre?

It's on your ticket. So mine is 8:15. That's the arrival time. I'm going to try and get there before though. Maybe 8-ish.

I have no idea how I'm gonna get there so early. I don't even wake up until 10 these days.

Original post by KoalaBoar
Sitting in London! Big relief :redface:

Same!

This is one of those times I regret not knowing my way around London.
Good luck everyone taking GAMSAT this year.
My tips (or, what worked for me...):
Section 1. Rattle through this as quickly as you can, treat it like UKCAT (if you've done that) flag and come back to anything you can't get instantly or aren't sure of. You'll find you have loads of time left over and can relax on the more difficult ones without worrying about time.

Section 2: Can't really advise, I scraped through with the 55 I needed for Nottingham. I spent an additional 10-15 minutes (beyond the allotted reading time) writing an essay plan for both before starting. I found it quite challenging to crystallise the numerous ways you can approach each essay into a coherent whole and I don't think I'd've managed to keep a structured Intro; argument; counter argument; conclusion format without doing so. Write quickly.

Section 3: This isn't 'really' a science paper. The concepts involved might well be 1st year undergraduate biology/chemistry and A-level physics (something I read when I was prepping) BUT... you don't need to know about them, they're logic problems dressed in scientific terms.

My results. 71 overall [72:55:79]
Original post by nightflight
Good luck everyone taking GAMSAT this year.
My tips (or, what worked for me...):
Section 1. Rattle through this as quickly as you can, treat it like UKCAT (if you've done that) flag and come back to anything you can't get instantly or aren't sure of. You'll find you have loads of time left over and can relax on the more difficult ones without worrying about time.

Section 2: Can't really advise, I scraped through with the 55 I needed for Nottingham. I spent an additional 10-15 minutes (beyond the allotted reading time) writing an essay plan for both before starting. I found it quite challenging to crystallise the numerous ways you can approach each essay into a coherent whole and I don't think I'd've managed to keep a structured Intro; argument; counter argument; conclusion format without doing so. Write quickly.

Section 3: This isn't 'really' a science paper. The concepts involved might well be 1st year undergraduate biology/chemistry and A-level physics (something I read when I was prepping) BUT... you don't need to know about them, they're logic problems dressed in scientific terms.

My results. 71 overall [72:55:79]

I'm very envious of your section 3 score. How did you practice for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prep wise, I did UKCAT the year before last and got the Kaplan 'score higher...' book to prep for that. That sorted me for section 1 as I just applied the same techniques for reading the blocks of text, freeing up time to sit and ponder the non-text questions.

Section 2 I read a few example essays online to get a feel for the level of writing I was aiming for and picked up the tip about planning for a bit longer.

Section 3 I did barely any prep for (I did a fairly broad bio/chem BSc, albeit some 8 years ago now, and figured the basic knowledge was all in there somewhere already) I made sure I could remember the key equations in physics, V=IR, e=1/2mv^2 etc and that was it.

Plus general reading up on the format and gleaning what tips and insights I could from here from previous years so I knew what I was walking into

Practice? None.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nightflight
Prep wise, I did UKCAT the year before last and got the Kaplan 'score higher...' book to prep for that. That sorted me for section 1 as I just applied the same techniques for reading the blocks of text, freeing up time to sit and ponder the non-text questions.

Section 2 I read a few example essays online to get a feel for the level of writing I was aiming for and picked up the tip about planning for a bit longer.

Section 3 I did barely any prep for (I did a fairly broad bio/chem BSc, albeit some 8 years ago now, and figured the basic knowledge was all in there somewhere already) I made sure I could remember the key equations in physics, V=IR, e=1/2mv^2 etc and that was it.

Plus general reading up on the format and gleaning what tips and insights I could from here from previous years so I knew what I was walking into

Practice? None.

Wow. You must have a high IQ that's all I can say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
It's on your ticket. So mine is 8:15. That's the arrival time. I'm going to try and get there before though. Maybe 8-ish.

I have no idea how I'm gonna get there so early. I don't even wake up until 10 these days.

Same!

This is one of those times I regret not knowing my way around London.

Alright, I will arrive later than that since I live far from the test centre, when did the exam start when you took it last time?
Alright, I will arrive later than that since I live far from the test centre, when did the exam start when you took it last time?

I haven't sat it before. This is my first time!
I haven't sat it before. This is my first time!

oh, sorry, thought you took it before! If anyone can let me knw what time the first exam component started at any test centre...
(edited 8 years ago)
I just did a sample paper. I got 70% in Section 1 and 30 (well 29.something)% in Section 3.

I guess that means I'm screwed for Section 3.
I just did a sample paper. I got 70% in Section 1 and 30 (well 29.something)% in Section 3.

I guess that means I'm screwed for Section 3.

Which paper was that, the purple one? As long as you excel in section 1 & 2 and scrape a pass in S3, you will be fine for unis which do not weigh S3 more...
(edited 8 years ago)
Which paper was that, the purple one? As long as you excel in section 1 & 2 and scrape a pass in S3, you will be fine for unis which do not weigh S3 more...

Blue.

I'm going to do the Red one over the weekend and in the meantime I'm going to go over everything I'm weak in.

Yeah I'm banking on S1 and S2 pulling my score up. But I think I'm going to retake in September anyway and apply with my September score if I don't do as well as I want next week.
This time next week I'm going to be crying myself to sleep :afraid:
Original post by PintoBeans
This time next week I'm going to be crying myself to sleep :afraid:

I'll be digging myself a hole to bury myself in for when we get the results. At least I'll be prepared for that.
Did a full mock yesterday and managed to stay within the time constraints. If nothing else at least I know I have the stamina to finish this damn exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know roughly what percentage we need to be getting to get at least 60s in the actual exam? I keep getting about 60-70% section one and 50-60% for section three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those are good scores for S1. I scored 61 and I get 50-60% in that section.
Original post by Es0phagus
Those are good scores for S1. I scored 61 and I get 50-60% in that section.

How can you know that? Isn't the whole point of the GAMSAT scoring being secret that you can't convert from % to GAMSAT score or vice versa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
How can you know that? Isn't the whole point of the GAMSAT scoring being secret that you can't convert from % to GAMSAT score or vice versa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what really worries me. I'm averaging around 80% now on S1 and 40-ish% in S3. But I have no idea how these would reflect as a GAMSAT score. Shitting myself about S2 now because I feel like my essay writing isn't good enough.
Original post by Themightylaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not saying that % = GAMSAT score. I am just saying that I got 50-60% on my practise tests and I got 61 in the exam. Whether I did better (or worse) %-wise on the exam day, I will never know. But, S1 isn't really something you can improve on drastically, so I'd guess I performed more or less the same as the practise tests. Also, since your score is linked to the performance of the cohort, it is impossible to gauge. I'd just comment that 60-70% from practise tests is probably above average.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending