The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

CURRENT STUDENTS: Is there the option of doing the Extended Project?
Original post by amarocks88
CURRENT STUDENTS: Is there the option of doing the Extended Project?

I don't know anyone who does it, but that's not to say it's not possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you allowed to drop a subject in A2 to focus on STEP?
Original post by AweysAbdul
Are you allowed to drop a subject in A2 to focus on STEP?

You probably wouldn't need to, but if it came to January (the time most people start really preparing for STEP) and you could make a reasonable case that you were going to fail a STEP offer unless you dropped a subject, you would be allowed to do it.
I've only ever heard of Cambridge using STEP- no real intention of going to Oxbridge really not keen on the reputation and seems a but pretentious and dull to me. I'm more interested in Manchester or Queen Mary's if I can get halls in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erodedsoul
I've only ever heard of Cambridge using STEP- no real intention of going to Oxbridge really not keen on the reputation and seems a but pretentious and dull to me. I'm more interested in Manchester or Queen Mary's if I can get halls in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think one of the biggest problem about entrance to Ox-bridge and state school students isn't that private schools students do better in their grades than us or that we CAN'T get in, it's that we don't feel like we'd "fit in" and it's such a shame that we deny ourselves fantastic opportunities to go to fantastic unis because we weren't "groomed" to go to Ox-bridge like private school students are. Sorry if this feels like a bit of an attack :smile:, but I'd just hate to see you miss out on applying because you think Ox-bridge is a bit pretentious when it probably isn't so. Manchester's great as is Queen Mary's but don't give up on Ox-bridge because you think you wouldn't fit in to this idea of "poshness". Sorry again. I'm speaking a bit generally tbh...
Original post by kamranali
I think one of the biggest problem about entrance to Ox-bridge and state school students isn't that private schools students do better in their grades than us or that we CAN'T get in, it's that we don't feel like we'd "fit in" and it's such a shame that we deny ourselves fantastic opportunities to go to fantastic unis because we weren't "groomed" to go to Ox-bridge like private school students are. Sorry if this feels like a bit of an attack :smile:, but I'd just hate to see you miss out on applying because you think Ox-bridge is a bit pretentious when it probably isn't so. Manchester's great as is Queen Mary's but don't give up on Ox-bridge because you think you wouldn't fit in to this idea of "poshness". Sorry again. I'm speaking a bit generally tbh...

No I see exactly what you mean, and if Oxbridge is your scene and you have the grades by all means I would encourage people to apply as it would be an amazing opportunity- however I'm still getting my head round the fact I'll have to leave London because of accommodation, so I don't think I could be somewhere like Cambridge or Oxford. I agree with you that many state school pupils would benefit from Oxbridge, but I really don't think I'd be one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erodedsoul
No I see exactly what you mean, and if Oxbridge is your scene and you have the grades by all means I would encourage people to apply as it would be an amazing opportunity- however I'm still getting my head round the fact I'll have to leave London because of accommodation, so I don't think I could be somewhere like Cambridge or Oxford. I agree with you that many state school pupils would benefit from Oxbridge, but I really don't think I'd be one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you like to remain so close to London? I've lived here all my life and marvellous though it may be, I'd like to try living elsewhere in the UK, so I won't be applying to any London unis.
Original post by kamranali
Why would you like to remain so close to London? I've lived here all my life and marvellous though it may be, I'd like to try living elsewhere in the UK, so I won't be applying to any London unis.

Well that's why I said Manchester, but i do love London with a passion so if it weren't London it would have to be a big city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't mind any Russell Group uni but I get what you mean by Oxbridge being posh
Letters are going out soon
We'll be receiving offers by Friday
Original post by goldenusername
Letters are going out soon
We'll be receiving offers by Friday

This Friday or next Friday?

My interview seems like so long ago; just hope I've done enough to get in
I don't think I'll be getting in :tongue: but I have an unconditional offer from what I think is my second choice so at least not all is bad. Have any of you guys recieved any offers you might take up if Harris doesn't work out?
I just received a conditional offer from the school :smile:. I got an overall score of 519 so I'm very happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I'm_infires
I don't think I'll be getting in :tongue: but I have an unconditional offer from what I think is my second choice so at least not all is bad. Have any of you guys recieved any offers you might take up if Harris doesn't work out?

I'm sure it went better than expected; we just have to wait now. I have an offer from another school but I don't really want to go there so if I don't get one from HWSF I'll stay at my current school

Original post by Couscousisnice
I just received a conditional offer from the school :smile:. I got an overall score of 519 so I'm very happy.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Officially scared and won't be able to calm down until the letter comes
Congratulations!! Is it your first choice?
Officially scared and won't be able to calm down until the letter comes
Congratulations!! Is it your first choice?

Yes it is, there aren't many good schools close to where I live so I'm very happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I GOT IN OMG! Does anyone know how they did the scores? I got 545!!
Original post by Onanwo
I GOT IN OMG! Does anyone know how they did the scores? I got 545!!

What score do you need to get accepted and what is it out of? I'm still waiting for my letter :tongue: Very well done btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Omg i got in i got in i got 535 points (u need 465 points if you have been free school meals in the last 6 years and 498 if you haven't)
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
This Friday or next Friday?

My interview seems like so long ago; just hope I've done enough to get in

Some people got their letters already but everyone will definitely get it by Friday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending