The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
save your money, or buy gold i would recommend. www.bitgold.com
Depends how long you would like to trade for. If you value money and want lots of it in say five years you will need to buy high potential pay off stock. And lots of it. Spread you bets. Use 400 quid on steady 'safe earners' and go illogical with the other 100 quid and see what happens.
Original post by Axlerod
Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the stock market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀

Trading on the stock market without any knowledge is pure gambling.. And I wouldn't recommend doing that. First you should to read a lot of books on investing to gain valuable knowledge that you will need.

If you aren't patient and want to trade tomorrow, there are lots of trading sites out there. But again, if I were you I definitely wouldn't do that.

If you are patient, here are 2 books you might want to read:

- money, master the game - tony robbins (basic investing stuff but really helpful and I think every beginner should read this one)
- why stocks go up and down
Reply 4
Original post by Jeffrey98
Trading on the stock market without any knowledge is pure gambling.. And I wouldn't recommend doing that. First you should to read a lot of books on investing to gain valuable knowledge that you will need.

If you aren't patient and want to trade tomorrow, there are lots of trading sites out there. But again, if I were you I definitely wouldn't do that.

- money, master the game - tony robbins (basic investing stuff but really helpful and I think every beginner should read this one)

Thanks and I'm not looking to trade tomorrow in the hope of making millions. It's more of something I'd like to do as a side hobby and improve my extra curriculars. Plus I have always been fascinated by it. Will definitely give them books a read, thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by One-Adult-Swim
Depends how long you would like to trade for. If you value money and want lots of it in say five years you will need to buy high potential pay off stock. And lots of it. Spread you bets. Use 400 quid on steady 'safe earners' and go illogical with the other 100 quid and see what happens.

How would I know which stock is a 'steady safe earner'?
Reply 6

also robert t kiwosaki's rich dad poor dad series.
Reply 7
Original post by Axlerod
Thanks and I'm not looking to trade tomorrow in the hope of making millions. It's more of something I'd like to do as a side hobby and improve my extra curriculars. Plus I have always been fascinated by it. Will definitely give them books a read, thanks! :smile:

lol just play a sport

Anyway, the first thing you should do is learn what moves a stock's price and how shares are traded on a stock exchange. You need to learn stuff like bid price, ask, spread, P/E ratio. Then learn about specific industries like retail, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, foreign currency or commodities and try and research one of them in depth. Try to figure out which stocks have potential to rise in price- do your own research (and read the news regularly) and don't rely on any stock 'experts'. Read the business/economic news everyday and try to analyse how current events could impact a stock today.
Reply 8
Original post by Axlerod
Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the stock market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀

Start with a virtual portfolio and see how it goes before using real money.

And have a look at
http://www.iii.co.uk/shares/new-to
https://www.hl.co.uk/free-guides/how-to-select-shares
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cheap-online-sharedealing

Also, you need to be over 18.
Original post by Axlerod
How would I know which stock is a 'steady safe earner'?

The truth is you wouldn't. You could study historical stock trends and see which stock tend to, historically be stable and at times rise slightly. Then choose to invest your money there. These kinds of investments would require a large amaount of investment over a sustained period to make any kind of meaningful return . Remember though, that the past is never an indicator of the future. Alternatively you need to use your imagination and invest small amounts into a multitude of high risk but high payoff assets. Such investment where if you invest small amounts in say 100 different kinds of stock. You only need two of them to come off good in order to break the bank. This is where the real game players are. The 'knack' of the game is to use you imagination and vision to predict the future. No ded certs.
The truth is you wouldn't. You could study historical stock trends and see which stock tend to, historically be stable and at times rise slightly. Then choose to invest your money there. These kinds of investments would require a large amaount of investment over a sustained period to make any kind of meaningful return . Remember though, that the past is never an indicator of the future. Alternatively you need to use your imagination and invest small amounts into a multitude of high risk but high payoff assets. Such investment where if you invest small amounts in say 100 different kinds of stock. You only need two of them to come off good in order to break the bank. This is where the real game players are. The 'knack' of the game is to use you imagination and vision to predict the future. No ded certs.

Also bearing in mind that we are rapidly approaching a world wide crash?

even with experience and knowledge the stock market is gambling.
Original post by john2054
Also bearing in mind that we are rapidly approaching a world wide crash?

Am anticipating that also. If you were that way inclined you could view this as an opportunity for some high risk gambling. I believe it mostly depends on how highly you value your money. If you ain't afraid of losing it Then you can go big. If you want to keep hold of your money then your not going to take the risks that pay.
even with experience and knowledge the stock market is gambling.

Yeah something unpredictable can always happen but at least you know how to minimize your risk in certain situations and understand why things can happen.
Reply 14
Original post by Trapz99
lol just play a sport

Anyway, the first thing you should do is learn what moves a stock's price and how shares are traded on a stock exchange. You need to learn stuff like bid price, ask, spread, P/E ratio. Then learn about specific industries like retail, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, foreign currency or commodities and try and research one of them in depth. Try to figure out which stocks have potential to rise in price- do your own research (and read the news regularly) and don't rely on any stock 'experts'. Read the business/economic news everyday and try to analyse how current events could impact a stock today.

I play football weekly and compete in Muay Thai/kickboxing lol, I wanna do the trading because my career goals are in finance and I thought it would help if I do something relevant.
Reply 15
Original post by Axlerod
I play football weekly and compete in Muay Thai/kickboxing lol, I wanna do the trading because my career goals are in finance and I thought it would help if I do something relevant.

Some platforms require 22 pounds per transaction, to buy and sell.
You couldn't trade with that little of money. You could only hold on to stocks.
Start off with an ETF. Returns may not be great but the fees are low.

Edit: Spread betting is BS.
Reply 17
Original post by HmmIsIt
Some platforms require 22 pounds per transaction, to buy and sell.
You couldn't trade with that little of money. You could only hold on to stocks.

And some are a lot less.

But yes with Stamp Duty to pay also £400 is too little for multiple shares.
Am anticipating that also. If you were that way inclined you could view this as an opportunity for some high risk gambling. I believe it mostly depends on how highly you value your money. If you ain't afraid of losing it Then you can go big. If you want to keep hold of your money then your not going to take the risks that pay.

This isn't just my predictions on a crash. In fact we were recently contemplating purchasing buying a property, but given the volatility of the markets at the moment, in fact i think this is the second quarter we are witnessing a consecutive drop, now is not a good time to be buying.

I am aware that it is possible to buy hedge funds based on negative market movements, but this is really shooting beyond my remit, and i will be quite happy for my portfolio not to depreciate too greatly over the coming years, and so for that reason i am now reconsidering the idea to buy a property, and keeping it in the funds. Which although that will not pay my rent, it will give me a degree of flexibility which such a purchase would thus curtail.

Thanks for discussing.
Reply 19

Latest

Trending

Trending