The Student Room Group

Work experience then uni?

Did anyone do a years work experience (I don't know if it counts as a gap year) and then go to uni after? How was the one year and was it worth it not going the same time as all your friends?
Original post by Just want oreos
Did anyone do a years work experience (I don't know if it counts as a gap year) and then go to uni after? How was the one year and was it worth it not going the same time as all your friends?

Heya,

I did this - worked for a year, lived semi-independently and went out a lot - so I got most of that out of my system - saved up some money, did a bit of traveling, learned some good time management and work ethic skills and then went to uni. It was good for me, because I was more ready to settle down and study once I got to uni :h: But most of my friends didn't go to university so I wasn't worrying about the social aspect as much.

Work experience is valuable so if you've got a good opportunity to get some under your belt it's worth considering as it will help you in the future :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya,

I did this - worked for a year, lived semi-independently and went out a lot - so I got most of that out of my system - saved up some money, did a bit of traveling, learned some good time management and work ethic skills and then went to uni. It was good for me, because I was more ready to settle down and study once I got to uni :h: But most of my friends didn't go to university so I wasn't worrying about the social aspect as much.

Work experience is valuable so if you've got a good opportunity to get some under your belt it's worth considering as it will help you in the future :smile:

thank you so much! that was really helpful:smile:
Reply 3

If your unsure just look at your course too, I study Business Management at Newman and work experience is mandatory for the course so we have time to do 3 weeks and careers team also provide support or their connections to get a good chance to get some good roles with higher levels of responsibility. I'm currently looking at working abroad and the support and information provided has been great and worth it! Always check with the uni too if your unsure, I work and study at the same time and it has really taught me how to manage my time better.
Original post by Kam Brar
If your unsure just look at your course too, I study Business Management at Newman and work experience is mandatory for the course so we have time to do 3 weeks and careers team also provide support or their connections to get a good chance to get some good roles with higher levels of responsibility. I'm currently looking at working abroad and the support and information provided has been great and worth it! Always check with the uni too if your unsure, I work and study at the same time and it has really taught me how to manage my time better.

oh yeah good point! the uni I'm planning to do to offers some term time and summer work experience
Reply 5
oh yeah good point! the uni I'm planning to do to offers some term time and summer work experience

That's great! Also don't limit yourself to just university related. My Uni has careers fairs where they bring in employers looking for people for paid work to internships and it's surprising what you can do! I first only limited myself to one thing but the more I am exploring and taking what information the uni offered and doing my own research it's opened my mind a lot more to all the possibilities! What are you currently studying?
That's great! Also don't limit yourself to just university related. My Uni has careers fairs where they bring in employers looking for people for paid work to internships and it's surprising what you can do! I first only limited myself to one thing but the more I am exploring and taking what information the uni offered and doing my own research it's opened my mind a lot more to all the possibilities! What are you currently studying?

that is great, I'm studying A2 media, philosophy and english and I'm planning to study media arts at uni :smile:
Nothing wrong with financial security and self-sufficiency. Your brain isn't going anywhere so you can always go to Uni a bit later.
Reply 8
that is great, I'm studying A2 media, philosophy and english and I'm planning to study media arts at uni :smile:

I did media production and media in communications and culture at 6th form and I loved it! It's good because a lot of what I learned in there is linking into my first year of business here at Newman. What uni's are you looking at to study it? It sounds like a very fun course.
I did media production and media in communications and culture at 6th form and I loved it! It's good because a lot of what I learned in there is linking into my first year of business here at Newman. What uni's are you looking at to study it? It sounds like a very fun course.

ohh thats cool! Im applying to royal holloway :smile:
ohh thats cool! Im applying to royal holloway :smile:

Where abouts is that? Also are you thinking of applying to 1 uni or using up all 5 spaces?

Quick Reply