The Student Room Group

Question about postgraduate loans

Hi everyone,

I'm a current MA student looking to study an MPhil next year. I understand that you aren't eligible for a postgraduate loan if you've already got a postgraduate qualification. But here's the thing: I won't have my MA qualification until September, and the applications for the loan will be in June/July -- so I won't have a masters qualification by the time I apply for a loan (if I do apply). Would I be eligible?

Thanks, and good day to you.
Original post by Phaethon
Hi everyone,

I'm a current MA student looking to study an MPhil next year. I understand that you aren't eligible for a postgraduate loan if you've already got a postgraduate qualification. But here's the thing: I won't have my MA qualification until September, and the applications for the loan will be in June/July -- so I won't have a masters qualification by the time I apply for a loan (if I do apply). Would I be eligible?

Thanks, and good day to you.

That is a very interesting question. Not all of the rules/guidance for eligibility have been released yet so I don't think anyone will be able to answer with any authority. It will depend on whether eligibility relies on whether you have a Masters qualification prior to the start of your MPhil or whether it depends on whether you gain a MA at any point while on the course....

I'd suggest applying as they'll check eligibility through the application process. But don't rely on/spend the loan payment straight away in case your eligibility lapses and SLC demand immediate repayment (which they can do if they judge you were overpaid).
Reply 2
Thanks for this. I just checked, and it turns out I won't receive my qualification until early December! Definitely way after the start of the MPhil. But as you said, I'll just wait and see.
Thanks for this. I just checked, and it turns out I won't receive my qualification until early December! Definitely way after the start of the MPhil. But as you said, I'll just wait and see.

I don't think the government realise that award dates for MAs/MScs are 12-15 months after starting...so there's usually an overlap of writing up periods and progressing on to another course.:smile:

Make sure your MPhil is eligible though - they're excluding MPhils that are integrated into a PhD so be sure you're registered onto a freestanding MPhil (if you upgrade that to a PhD following completion of the MPhil that's considered differently by finance/regulators to enrolling on a combined MPhil/PhD and leaving with an MPhil as an early exit award). This is something to check with the university concerned to make sure they've registered the course with the SLC correctly :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
I don't think the government realise that award dates for MAs/MScs are 12-15 months after starting...so there's usually an overlap of writing up periods and progressing on to another course.:smile:

Make sure your MPhil is eligible though - they're excluding MPhils that are integrated into a PhD so be sure you're registered onto a freestanding MPhil (if you upgrade that to a PhD following completion of the MPhil that's considered differently by finance/regulators to enrolling on a combined MPhil/PhD and leaving with an MPhil as an early exit award). This is something to check with the university concerned to make sure they've registered the course with the SLC correctly :smile:

Yikes, I didn't know that. Are you certain of this? Unfortunately most of my offers are for an MPhil/PhD. But this sounds odd, because as I understand it, you're officially an MPhil until the upgrade. Do you have any links to back this up?
Yikes, I didn't know that. Are you certain of this? Unfortunately most of my offers are for an MPhil/PhD. But this sounds odd, because as I understand it, you're officially an MPhil until the upgrade. Do you have any links to back this up?

See http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6965/sdnt-pgl-pres-16-2nd-v03.pptx slide 11

Speak to your university. Even MPhil/PhD courses *can* be ok if the university has the course recorded correctly (and HEFCE are very clear that students on MPhil/PhD courses should be recorded as having MPhil as their courseaim until after they've upgraded - which means any university that puts you straight onto a course with the aim of a PhD is doing things wrong :wink:)
Hi Phaethon

The information we have at present is "Students who already hold a qualification which is equivalent to or higher in level than a Masters will not be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan."
More information will be released when we have it.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending