The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

We DO NOT NEED to eat MEAT

Scroll to see replies

I will not argue that we "DO NOT NEED to eat MEAT".

However, I will argue that we should eat meat but a certain type of meat.

Why? It is because it is nutritious and tasty -end of.

Only issue I have is that people should only eat halal meat; to me there is no problem if we kill the animal painlessly and swiftly.

Honestly, since you cant argue against known science, the death of animals is really the only reason vegans and vegetarians are complaining. On the other hand, Islam takes away the only reason you have to complain unless you hate that they die all together.
I understand why not eating meat would be beneficial in many ways, however what I've never been told is how to actually live on a vegetarian or vegan diet and still maintain my health, I'm a triathlete so be able to keep my muscles working, and for it not to be extra work or money for my family to accommodate me as I'm only 16. It's all well and good saying why we shouldn't eat but at the end of the day I think most people understand that and the real issue is how viable and easily they can do it
Original post by harrisonchar
I understand why not eating meat would be beneficial in many ways, however what I've never been told is how to actually live on a vegetarian or vegan diet and still maintain my health, I'm a triathlete so be able to keep my muscles working, and for it not to be extra work or money for my family to accommodate me as I'm only 16. It's all well and good saying why we shouldn't eat but at the end of the day I think most people understand that and the real issue is how viable and easily they can do it

I'm a runner and I don't eat meat... I'd like to say my muscles still work. It definitely can be done.... :smile:
I would stop, but I love meat too much
No I don't need to eat meat, but I can and I will.
Dont need to eat meat but I will.
Hitler was vegetarian.
Expecting any meat eater to care enough to watch this for an hour. Good luck with that.
Original post by Debbie_KB
I'm a runner and I don't eat meat... I'd like to say my muscles still work. It definitely can be done.... :smile:

That's great and I don't doubt that it can be done, my question is how

Thankfully the internet exists! :biggrin: as long as you make sure to use good, unbiased sources then there is literally a world of knowledge at your fingertips right now - why wait to be told? (I don't really know much about building muscles and stuff so I can't really help you there myself..)

Nuts and seeds throughout the day is my replacement, and looooads of greens. I have a massive jar (and literally a jar) of green juice in the morning, carrots juice for lunch. Jacket potato and hummus for dinner with salad. :smile:
Original post by Ethereal World
I'm a vegan but I disagree with any condescension of meat eaters or conversion tactics.

There are a lot of things we don't NEED to do, but consumer culture and society are at this point and the meat industry is a standard feature of rich economies.

But you could have said the same about slavery. :argh:

I imagine people who thought slavery was probably wrong just went along with it since it was the norm.

Original post by Drewski
Which I'll happily do by munching on a bacon sandwich. Cheers.

hahahahahah

funny guy

I find you lot more annoying than militant vegans. At least they have justifications for being knobs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nuts and seeds throughout the day is my replacement, and looooads of greens. I have a massive jar (and literally a jar) of green juice in the morning, carrots juice for lunch. Jacket potato and hummus for dinner with salad. :smile:

Would you say that its more expensive? Does it take a lot of prep?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I find you lot more annoying than militant vegans. At least they have justifications for being knobs.

Militant vegans are always militant vegans - and never sodding let you forget it. They're the dietary equivalents of hipsters with Macbook Pros.

The rest of us just get on with our lives.

But if you come shoving your beliefs down our throats, we're not going to be backwards about telling you exactly where to **** off to.
Would you say that its more expensive? Does it take a lot of prep?

Not massively more expensive, I still go out socially, and the veggie options are cheaper than the meat ones where I go out.... that's a bonus!

It takes a bit of prep, but then again, you would prep meat if you were cooking it?

I totally understand your point how there is no clear help book for starting out as a vegan when meat is all you've known. I dropped meat due to eczema and ended up curing myself completely and beating my PB by 30 seconds, I'm an 800m runner btw :biggrin:
Not massively more expensive, I still go out socially, and the veggie options are cheaper than the meat ones where I go out.... that's a bonus!

It takes a bit of prep, but then again, you would prep meat if you were cooking it?

I totally understand your point how there is no clear help book for starting out as a vegan when meat is all you've known. I dropped meat due to eczema and ended up curing myself completely and beating my PB by 30 seconds, I'm an 800m runner btw :biggrin:

Ah okay I see, thanks for your help, I'm 16 and do triathlons and everyone says that it's so easy to do but I don't think it is for everyone, I just think the amount of food I'll need to consume to get the stuff I need would be ridiculous but anyway if people can do it and it works for them then that's great
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But you could have said the same about slavery. :argh:

I imagine people who thought slavery was probably wrong just went along with it since it was the norm.

hahahahahah

funny guy

This whole comparison to slavery (and women's rights) that vegans bang on about all the time actually does really irritate me.

I'm a vegan but I can still recognise that the sanctity of human life is greater than animal life.
Original post by Ethereal World
This whole comparison to slavery (and women's rights) that vegans bang on about all the time actually does really irritate me.

I'm a vegan but I can still recognise that the sanctity of human life is greater than animal life.

I'm just comparing how people go along with something they see as awful just because it is normal. Or they think it is wrong deep down but because everyone goes along with it they can make it all fine. Or that just because it is a a result of some detached consumerism that makes any moral dilemma mute, as if mindless consumerism lets us off the hook on the impacts of that consumerism. At numerous points in me growing up I thought about the whole meat eating thing, asked my parents about it, but they just give a kind of "it's just life" response and I go along with it. I mean, my parents aren't bad people, they have pets they look after and wouldn't harm. I imagine it would have been the same if I was a child growing up in a family that owned slaves.

If you are a vegan for ethical reasons I can't see how the slavery analogy is not relevent in some way. Even if you don't place animal suffering as being equal to human suffering and it is purely to show how passivity allows major suffering to happen.

I don;t know why this would irritate someone. You don;t have to agree with say Peter Singer to see why he equates the way we treat animals to slavery. Logic can easily lead down that route and vice versa. If your moral philosophy based purely on minimising physical pain a lot of slavery is probably better than what we do to animals for food, for example.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian and I completely reject sanctity of human life on any level beyond humans have instincts and/or social conditioning to look out for other humans due to natural selection making us this way. Darwinism discredits a lot of the arguments for sanctity of human life which are usually based on there being something mystically special about us when in reality we are just an animal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RickmanAlways
[video="youtube;U5hGQDLprA8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hGQDLprA8[/video]

Take an hour of your time to watch this please.
Gary Yourofsky is brilliant and this will change the way you think.
We dont. Need to eat. MEAT.

There's a lot of things we don't need to do, so unless you turn caveman, you're a hypocrite.

Latest

Trending

Trending