The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Monreal I heard.

Didn't see the match, though. Just the goals.

Giroud took both of his really well, I thought. Gives him a big lift - and hopefully the arrival of his kid will do the same. He's endured a barren streak really and needs to be finding form.

Feeling very positive about giroud.. so far in his career at arsenal he has been such a patchy player, you know you will get a few months of regular scoring, followed by a drought, and then repeat.

If that stays true, then its come at a great time, if he can kick into one of his usual good patches right at the end of the season.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Feeling very positive about giroud.. so far in his career at arsenal he has been such a patchy player, you know you will get a few months of regular scoring, followed by a drought, and then repeat.

If that stays true, then its come at a great time, if he can kick into one of his usual good patches right at the end of the season.

his left foot volley yesterday was absolutely sublime :coma:
Eboue. Remember him? He's signed for Sunderland. Now to place bets on him scoring against us...
Original post by swirly
his left foot volley yesterday was absolutely sublime :coma:

He scored both goals with his right foot?
Nice one swirls
Giroud is crap. He will be never be a top striker
Realistically, the side we have now only contains the basis for a title challenge, so many players need replacing:
???
Sanchez - Ozil - ???
Cazorla - Coquelin
Monreal - Koscielny - ??? - Bellerin
Cech

And then our bench options are fairly terrible.

Ospina (very dubious), Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny/Ramsey, ???, Campbell, Welbeck

I just don't believe clowns like Ramsey, Mertesacker, Giroud, Walcott, et al. are near good enough to be regulars in a side that can seriously consider themselves title contenders. Yeah, they're fine to get you through an FA Cup tie against a Championship side, but when it comes to relying on them for any lengthy period of the season it'll always end in disaster.
Coquelin is not good enough to start for Arsenal especially next season it will be much tougher
Original post by al_94
Coquelin is not good enough to start for Arsenal especially next season it will be much tougher

He was very good up until his injury, not been the same since he returned but it can always take a bit of time to get up to speed. I wouldn't be against signing a defensive midfielder, but he's certainly not the weak link in this team.
Original post by al_94

coquelin is ample. and he's still fairly young. who do you think would be a realistic upgrade on him?
Original post by Welkom
He was very good up until his injury, not been the same since he returned but it can always take a bit of time to get up to speed. I wouldn't be against signing a defensive midfielder, but he's certainly not the weak link in this team.

Original post by swirly
coquelin is ample. and he's still fairly young. who do you think would be a realistic upgrade on him?

He's not an established player, he's not an international, hasn't achieved any recognition in the PL either only Arsenal fans really rate him. He lacks discipline at times we saw what happened against Spurs and it's not the first time either. Not saying he's a bad player but I would prefer to sign someone better. We were linked to Krychowiak in the summer shame we didn't buy him.
imagine
How come Spurs reckon they're a great team now, but we beat them in three games, and they couldn't beat us with ten men?

And good move on the tickets....but knowing Gazidis it's to placate the fans over Arsene and poor form lately. And a good result over Hull, but Arsene needs to go, and there was nothing wrong with the banner. I agree with it's sentiment 10000%.
Original post by al_94
He's not an established player, he's not an international, hasn't achieved any recognition in the PL either only Arsenal fans really rate him. He lacks discipline at times we saw what happened against Spurs and it's not the first time either. Not saying he's a bad player but I would prefer to sign someone better. We were linked to Krychowiak in the summer shame we didn't buy him.

He established himself here in 2015 and was receiving plenty of recognition up until his injury. You say Coquelin lacks discipline and 'it's not the first time', but that's complete nonsense. In a positional sense he is our most disciplined midfielder and has only been sent off three times in his entire career (2016 v Spurs, 2013 at Augsburg and 2010 at Lorient), all of which were for two yellows, he's never received a straight red card. While holding midfield was once a priority for us, albeit an unaddressed one by this deluded manager, it no longer takes precedent over centre-forward, centre-midfield, centre-back and right-wing. Once all of those have been addressed we can look at improving upon Coquelin.
Original post by Welkom
Realistically, the side we have now only contains the basis for a title challenge, so many players need replacing:
???
Sanchez - Ozil - ???
Cazorla - Coquelin
Monreal - Koscielny - ??? - Bellerin
Cech
And then our bench options are fairly terrible.

Ospina (very dubious), Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny/Ramsey, ???, Campbell, Welbeck

I just don't believe clowns like Ramsey, Mertesacker, Giroud, Walcott, et al. are near good enough to be regulars in a side that can seriously consider themselves title contenders. Yeah, they're fine to get you through an FA Cup tie against a Championship side, but when it comes to relying on them for any lengthy period of the season it'll always end in disaster.

Original post by al_94

Coq is fine for most games, but I would say we could do with somebody better if we really want to compete for the league and CL.

Consider also that in your "good enough" 11 he's alongside an increasingly injury-prone Cazorla who will be turning 32 near the beginning of next season. I think a top CM is a must as well as the other positions you mentioned tbh.
Original post by unamujercaliente
How come Spurs reckon they're a great team now, but we beat them in three games, and they couldn't beat us with ten men?

And good move on the tickets....but knowing Gazidis it's to placate the fans over Arsene and poor form lately. And a good result over Hull, but Arsene needs to go, and there was nothing wrong with the banner. I agree with it's sentiment 10000%.

They're not a great team, they've just got a superior manager to us. Injuries have been fairly kind to them too, but there's no doubt they deserve the title more than us.
Original post by e aí rapaz

Consider also that in your "good enough" 11 he's alongside an increasingly injury-prone Cazorla who will be turning 32 near the beginning of next season. I think a top CM is a must as well as the other positions you mentioned tbh.

That's where my ??? comes in on the bench. I would like a top CM so that we can finally stop playing the disaster that is Aaron Ramsey, but I didn't want to come in and polarise the entire thread by suggesting we drop Cazorla too. Rotating a new midfielder with Cazorla is the way to go.
Original post by Welkom
That's where my ??? comes in on the bench. I would like a top CM so that we can finally stop playing the disaster that is Aaron Ramsey, but I didn't want to come in and polarise the entire thread by suggesting we drop Cazorla too. Rotating a new midfielder with Cazorla is the way to go.

Ideally we would buy a 1st 11 CM and rotate the others alongside him tbh.

Not expecting more than one outfield player to be purchased this summer though.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Ideally we would buy a 1st 11 CM and rotate the others alongside him tbh.

Not expecting more than one outfield player to be purchased this summer though.

Agreed, at least not unless Wenger is sacked. Which he won't be.
Original post by Welkom
He established himself here in 2015 and was receiving plenty of recognition up until his injury. You say Coquelin lacks discipline and 'it's not the first time', but that's complete nonsense. In a positional sense he is our most disciplined midfielder and has only been sent off three times in his entire career (2016 v Spurs, 2013 at Augsburg and 2010 at Lorient), all of which were for two yellows, he's never received a straight red card. While holding midfield was once a priority for us, albeit an unaddressed one by this deluded manager, it no longer takes precedent over centre-forward, centre-midfield, centre-back and right-wing. Once all of those have been addressed we can look at improving upon Coquelin.

You sound like a fanboy. He did good in the PL for 2015 that's it. I mean Arsenal can buy players in all positions but don't expect the top players to come because most of them don't want to come to us.

Latest