The Student Room Group

applying for med

i got Cs in my GCSEs and for my a levels bio chem psychology and drama i am predcited A*A*AA is there any chance and how would it be pssiible to apply for med?
Reply 1
Yeahh I think it is possible, just work on getting good work experience and look up all the med Unis in the uk and make a document of what each ones requirements are for Medicine. Some unis don't mind as much for GCSE grades but they may require you to have atleast BB for Double Science. And biology and chem are the most important for med (obviously) so you've got to carry on those for A2 as a full a level and just aim for all As and you should have a good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fa123123
i got Cs in my GCSEs and for my a levels bio chem psychology and drama i am predcited A*A*AA is there any chance and how would it be pssiible to apply for med?

surely if you get Cs in your GCSEs you cannot be predicted with A*s and As because they have a system (dunno what it called) where they generate you A levels predicted grades and that will be your predicted grades!
Plus i doubt it that you can do medical with Cs in your GCSEs because A levels aren't easy and for the medical course they are also looking at your GCSEs grades. Also you haven't picked maths or physics which automatically limits the number of unis you can go to
But try and seee, make sure that you achieve A and A* in your A level subjects :h:
Original post by fatima1998
surely if you get Cs in your GCSEs you cannot be predicted with A*s and As because they have a system (dunno what it called) where they generate you A levels predicted grades and that will be your predicted grades!
Plus i doubt it that you can do medical with Cs in your GCSEs because A levels aren't easy and for the medical course they are also looking at your GCSEs grades. Also you haven't picked maths or physics which automatically limits the number of unis you can go to
But try and seee, make sure that you achieve A and A* in your A level subjects :h:

No, you're wrong.

You don't need maths and physics, just biology and chemistry are fine, the other two subjects don't really matter.
People can be predicted and achieve A*'s and A's at a level, it's been proven.
There are medical courses out there for people with not the expected GCSEs for an average candidate such as the foundation medical courses are available to you.
Additionally, you can apply to universities that don't necessarily look at GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got BBBD for my AS even thought I did well on my GCSEs, and I secured two interviews...
Because I applied wisely.
You can do it, don't lose hope Op! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
No, you're wrong.

You don't need maths and physics, just biology and chemistry are fine, the other two subjects don't really matter.
People can be predicted and achieve A*'s and A's at a level, it's been proven.
There are medical courses out there for people with not the expected GCSEs for an average candidate such as the foundation medical courses are available to you.
Additionally, you can apply to universities that don't necessarily look at GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you need to get a B in GCSEs to do sciences in A levels
in our school, if you are doing triple science then you should have ABB
or double science AA
plus it depends on which uni the OP is planning to- for competitive uni GCSEs does matter
one of my friend had all As and A*s except one subject she got a B in and she wasn't accepted in the uni for the medical course so she has to use an alternative way to do medical which takes longer time to get a degree
you need to get a B in GCSEs to do sciences in A levels
in our school, if you are doing triple science then you should have ABB
or double science AA
plus it depends on which uni the OP is planning to- for competitive uni GCSEs does matter
one of my friend had all As and A*s except one subject she got a B in and she wasn't accepted in the uni for the medical course so she has to use an alternative way to do medical which takes longer time to get a degree

Yeah, so she probably applied to the wrong universities, or her UKCAT wasn't high enough, a personal statement may not have been competitive enough, there are so many other factors, it doesn't just count on GCSEs...

Edit: was this after interview? If so, it all depends on the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Yeah, so she probably applied to the wrong universities, or her UKCAT wasn't high enough, a personal statement may not have been competitive enough, there are so many other factors, it doesn't just count on GCSEs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know man!
but GCSEs is the starting point for your career!
if you dont get the grades in your GCSEs and you won't meet the requirement to do the subjects in the sixth form!
i know man!
if you dont get the grades in your GCSEs and you won't meet the requirement to do the subjects in the sixth form!

You still can
A lot of people have done it in the past
Some sixth forms accept people with lower grades hence, are able to study a-levels.
If OP is able to get good AS grades, then he is on the right track

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you can do it! Apply wisely tho- I got two interviews and also an offer with weak GCSEs but higher a levels and ukcat and extracurricular

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Of course you have a chance! However, be sure to check out the GCSE requirements on each university's website as some may want more than a C for certain subjects.
Reply 12
i know man!

well with my gcses i got accepted to do chem, biology, maths and physics but i decided to do only chem and bio.
Reply 13
Original post by Bloom77
You still can
A lot of people have done it in the past
Some sixth forms accept people with lower grades hence, are able to study a-levels.
If OP is able to get good AS grades, then he is on the right track

Posted from TSR Mobile

which uni did you apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending