The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Just seen the PL table. Liverpool should be on the same amount of points as us after their game in hand (assuming they win it). League season starting to feel like its run its course, if we lose against City then its all but done. If that's the case, I hope Liverpool leapfrog us and take the Europa spot. If Mourinho comes in for next season, then we won't have the Europa league to deal with and can concentrate on the league.

I know most United fans would love Europe, even if its Europa but I just don't feel like its worth being in Europe if it ain't the CL. Europa has some cracking ties this season but for me, it still pales in comparison to the CL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That defeatist attitude though.

Love the spin you put on the EL. Not worth it if you aren't in it, kinda like the League Cup eh?
Original post by Lúcio
That defeatist attitude though.

Love the spin you put on the EL. Not worth it if you aren't in it, kinda like the League Cup eh?

Not defeatist. Its a realistic view.

Not really. I've never rated the Europa League. If United are going to be in Europe, I'd rather it be the CL or not even be in Europe altogether if it isn't the CL. We're never going to win Europa League this season, we'd need major luck to win it. 4th is pretty much gone if City beat us in the league, West Ham are on fire so it wouldn't be surprising if they knock us out the FA cup. I just hope we knock Liverpool out the Europa League. 4 wins out of 4 against Liverpool would make this season less ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not defeatist. Its a realistic view.

Not really. I've never rated the Europa League. If United are going to be in Europe, I'd rather it be the CL or not even be in Europe altogether if it isn't the CL. We're never going to win Europa League this season, we'd need major luck to win it. 4th is pretty much gone if City beat us in the league, West Ham are on fire so it wouldn't be surprising if they knock us out the FA cup. I just hope we knock Liverpool out the Europa League. 4 wins out of 4 against Liverpool would make this season less ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of fans (from different clubs) have this view but personally I don't understand it..

- EL still gets you a decent chunk of co-efficient points
- it's extra revenue for the club
- get to watch more games as a fan
- some European football is better than no European football to attract some players
- gives a good opportunity for youngsters/fringe players to get some experience in early rounds
- helps build the right mentality for playing in Europe in the future (see Atletico Madrid/Dortmund)
- another trophy you can possibly win
- gets you CL qualification if you don't achieve it in the league
Reply 5963
Liverpool fan, you're getting smashed on Thursday
I think the main issue is playing on Thursday nights. Most teams playing in it tend to do worse in the league. Spurs are bucking that trend, though.
Love all European football personally, be it EL or CL. Granted, that may be because I just love knockout football.

It's a shame that we're facing each other so early on in the tournament, because I know a lot of Liverpool and United fans would have wanted a decent European away.
Original post by NathanW18
I think the main issue is playing on Thursday nights. Most teams playing in it tend to do worse in the league. Spurs are bucking that trend, though.

Depends on squad size and general player fitness to be honest.

Everton crumbled in the league when they were doing well in EL, but they aren't a "top" club anymore anyway.
Teams like Liverpool and United have big squads so they can rotate and cope with both.

If you play in the CL on Tuesday/Wednesday, you'll normally play in the league on Saturday.
If you play in the EL on Thursday, you normally won't play in the league until Sunday/Monday.
The rest days are pretty much the same - people only complain about the EL because it isn't as prestigious.

Let's not forget, you're only in it because you went out in the group stage of the CL. As of now, you'd get absolutely nowhere near winning the CL. Might as well give EL a go since you could actually win it.
Original post by Lúcio
Depends on squad size and general player fitness to be honest.

Everton crumbled in the league when they were doing well in EL, but they aren't a "top" club anymore anyway.
Teams like Liverpool and United have big squads so they can rotate and cope with both.

If you play in the CL on Tuesday/Wednesday, you'll normally play in the league on Saturday.
If you play in the EL on Thursday, you normally won't play in the league until Sunday/Monday.
The rest days are pretty much the same - people only complain about the EL because it isn't as prestigious.

Let's not forget, you're only in it because you went out in the group stage of the CL. As of now, you'd get absolutely nowhere near winning the CL. Might as well give EL a go since you could actually win it.

This is the important thing, I guess. My main issue with it has always been the fixture pileup and Thursday nights. I'm not sure if the longer flights to Eastern Europe matter much. The squad players should be able to handle the group stage, but I just don't know with this team any more.

I think the club should be putting everything into this competition, because the loss to WBA has massively hurt our top 4 fight. If we lose to City, we're definitely not making it through the league. EL is likely out best shot at getting into the CL next season.
Original post by Zerforax
A lot of fans (from different clubs) have this view but personally I don't understand it..

- EL still gets you a decent chunk of co-efficient points
- it's extra revenue for the club
- get to watch more games as a fan
- some European football is better than no European football to attract some players
- gives a good opportunity for youngsters/fringe players to get some experience in early rounds
- helps build the right mentality for playing in Europe in the future (see Atletico Madrid/Dortmund)
- another trophy you can possibly win
- gets you CL qualification if you don't achieve it in the league

Extra revenue is irrelevant for clubs the size of United and Liverpool. Plus the extra revenue is barely anything anyway especially when comparing it to the CL.

To attract the very best footballers, you need the CL. I highly doubt being in Europa would tempt them. I mean the very best players such as Bale, would he be tempted by a team playing in Europa even if it is European football? Plus, even the very good footballers in top clubs, say Isco I doubt he'd want to leave RM for a team in Europa.

Do Liverpool or United need the right mentality to play in Europe though? We've won the CL competition a combined 8 times.

You can achieve CL qualification through concentrating on the league though. Having the Europa league, FA Cup and League cup coupled with having to play league games is so many competitions to juggle plus more risk of injuries. Imagine Coutinho gets injured in a Europa league game ahead of a huge game against a PL rival. I know its an assumption but its a possible scenario. Plus, the Europa League knockouts you could easily lose both legs by having 2 off days whereas with the league, its more of a marathon.

Overall I think most of your points apply to most Premier League sides who don't consistently play or have played or have ever played in the CL and the Europa League is what most of them could hope for. To clubs the size of United and Liverpool, most of those points don't really apply. In terms of playing young players, it is more games but you could easily give them the league cup games and early round FA cup games. You could even give them a game here and there in the PL. Maybe there's more exposure to a higher level in Europa than say the league cup but most times the group stages are usually filled with piss poor teams (no disrespect to them).

Original post by Mackay
Love all European football personally, be it EL or CL. Granted, that may be because I just love knockout football.

It's a shame that we're facing each other so early on in the tournament, because I know a lot of Liverpool and United fans would have wanted a decent European away.

Yeah I enjoy watching European football especially big ties which the Europa League has thrown up. I just don't want United to be in it, I'd much rather they be in the CL or not be in Europe at all if not the CL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NathanW18
This is the important thing, I guess. My main issue with it has always been the fixture pileup and Thursday nights. I'm not sure if the longer flights to Eastern Europe matter much. The squad players should be able to handle the group stage, but I just don't know with this team any more.

I think the club should be putting everything into this competition, because the loss to WBA has massively hurt our top 4 fight. If we lose to City, we're definitely not making it through the league. EL is likely out best shot at getting into the CL next season.

I agree.
Just do what we do and play a few key players instead of the entire team.
Klopp has been doing that really well lately - he has barely used Sturridge and Coutinho so they'll be fit for the game tomorrow.
We have more than enough to beat you at Anfield but I'm not sure we could win at OT. I think the hope is that you have a poor game and we win by 2 or 3 to effectively end the tie.

That being said, we're very inconsistent and there's no saying the opposite couldn't happen.
DDG is normally the thing that sets us apart though. Every bloody time.
Extra revenue is irrelevant for clubs the size of United and Liverpool. Plus the extra revenue is barely anything anyway especially when comparing it to the CL.

To attract the very best footballers, you need the CL. I highly doubt being in Europa would tempt them. I mean the very best players such as Bale, would he be tempted by a team playing in Europa even if it is European football? Plus, even the very good footballers in top clubs, say Isco I doubt he'd want to leave RM for a team in Europa.

Do Liverpool or United need the right mentality to play in Europe though? We've won the CL competition a combined 8 times.

You can achieve CL qualification through concentrating on the league though. Having the Europa league, FA Cup and League cup coupled with having to play league games is so many competitions to juggle plus more risk of injuries. Imagine Coutinho gets injured in a Europa league game ahead of a huge game against a PL rival. I know its an assumption but its a possible scenario. Plus, the Europa League knockouts you could easily lose both legs by having 2 off days whereas with the league, its more of a marathon.

Overall I think most of your points apply to most Premier League sides who don't consistently play or have played or have ever played in the CL and the Europa League is what most of them could hope for. To clubs the size of United and Liverpool, most of those points don't really apply. In terms of playing young players, it is more games but you could easily give them the league cup games and early round FA cup games. You could even give them a game here and there in the PL. Maybe there's more exposure to a higher level in Europa than say the league cup but most times the group stages are usually filled with piss poor teams (no disrespect to them).

Yeah I enjoy watching European football especially big ties which the Europa League has thrown up. I just don't want United to be in it, I'd much rather they be in the CL or not be in Europe at all if not the CL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea probably is irrelevant for Man Utd. I don't think Liverpool can sniff at an extra £10-15mil or however much it is.

Agree for the top talent but Liverpool haven't shopped there for a while. If you're trying to attract the next big thing, those kinds of players want a platform where they can show off their skill to make a reputation for themselves for a big move. For example putting in big performances in the QF and later will get you noticed.

I think it's easier to say it's a one off below par season but we still have Europe etc. Once you start missing out a lot, I think potential signings get more nervous.

Don't know about Utd (would say you've lost a lot of experienced players over the years) but with Liverpool you can see it where the new batch of players (and Rodgers) didn't have the experience or quite know how to approach the European games. It's different to the PL.

I can see pros/cons but I'd rather Liverpool achieved EL qualification at the very least.
I can see pros/cons but I'd rather Liverpool achieved EL qualification at the very least.

I think it's important to matter who you are.
United will be okay because they had CL football this year. Like you said, I think when it's been a few years like with Liverpool, the least we need is EL.

I think with Klopp and EL, we could tempt some quality players. However without any Europe whatsoever, I'm not very sure.
The issue we have is that unless a top 6 side wins the FA Cup, 7th place in the league won't get EL, which means we'd need to finish ahead of West Ham/United (whilst fending off Chelsea too).

People are forgetting about Chelsea because of their awful start but their form in the league has been a ridiculous improvement. They could finish ahead of us if we aren't careful, although our recent form has definitely helped.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yea probably is irrelevant for Man Utd. I don't think Liverpool can sniff at an extra £10-15mil or however much it is.

Agree for the top talent but Liverpool haven't shopped there for a while. If you're trying to attract the next big thing, those kinds of players want a platform where they can show off their skill to make a reputation for themselves for a big move. For example putting in big performances in the QF and later will get you noticed.

I think it's easier to say it's a one off below par season but we still have Europe etc. Once you start missing out a lot, I think potential signings get more nervous.

Don't know about Utd (would say you've lost a lot of experienced players over the years) but with Liverpool you can see it where the new batch of players (and Rodgers) didn't have the experience or quite know how to approach the European games. It's different to the PL.

Liverpool are one of the richest clubs in the world and I'm sure 10-15 mill won't affect you. You splashed out 32 mill on Benteke! :wink:. Also, that 10-15 mill is if Liverpool win the Europa League which is more unlikely than Liverpool finishing 4th in the league imo.

Well let's put it this way. Would you rather a season without Europa League football and challenge for the title (like you did 3 seasons ago) or Europa League football and finish in the table like 5/6th? As a poster above said, Spurs seem to be bucking this trend but usually with Europa League football, teams usually underperform in the league. Again this is an assumption since even without Europa League football, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll challenge for the title. But I'd much rather have a season without Europa League football to concentrate solely on the league and FA cup.

3/4 of our squad have regularly played in the champions league. However those who have won the competition have mostly left/retired. We now only have Bastian, Rooney and Carrick who have experienced winning the CL.

Fair enough. But I'd much rather write the season off and start again next season. Lose against City and I think our squad would lose the focus and desire to play in the league since our objective of CL football would be over. I could definitely see us slide down the table. If that happens, I hope we fully concentrate on the FA cup but we have a really difficult tie against West Ham. Its a bit depressing that our season could be over in 2 weeks time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Liverpool are one of the richest clubs in the world and I'm sure 10-15 mill won't affect you. You splashed out 32 mill on Benteke! :wink:

Well let's put it this way. Would you rather a season without Europa League football and challenge for the title (like you did 3 seasons ago) or Europa League football and finish in the table like 5/6th? As a poster above said, Spurs seem to be bucking this trend but usually with Europa League football, teams usually underperform in the league. Again this is an assumption since even without Europa League football, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll challenge for the title. But I'd much rather have a season without Europa League football to concentrate solely on the league and FA cup.

3/4 of our squad have regularly played in the champions league. However those who have won the competition have mostly left/retired. We now only have Bastian, Rooney and Carrick who have experienced winning the CL.

Fair enough. But I'd much rather write the season off and start again next season. Lose against City and I think our squad would lose the focus and desire to play in the league since our objective of CL football would be over. I could definitely see us slide down the table. If that happens, I hope we fully concentrate on the FA cup but we have a really difficult tie against West Ham. Its a bit depressing that our season could be over in 2 weeks time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've actually spent very little net due to big sales of Suarez and Sterling in the last two summers.

The extra 10-15mil could be the difference between buying another Benteke or buying a decent striker.

Our title challenge was a one-off due to Suarez/Sturridge. In reality, most of the time it's a case of good squads achieve in all competitions.

Why is it that the top 4 can compete in the CL and PL? If you can't deal with EL/PL, how are you going to cope with CL/PL if you did achieve it?
Our title challenge was a one-off due to Suarez. In reality, most of the time it's a case of good squads achieve in all competitions.

Fixed that for you.
Original post by Ned Stark
Fixed that for you.

Really bothers me how much people think it was just Suarez.

Not only did Sturridge score 21 in 29 games, a lot of those were the match winning goals.

Straight off the bat at the start of the season we won the first 3 games of the season 1-0 with Sturridge scoring the goal in each game.

That's 9 points without even going through the rest of the season.

Not only did Sturridge score 21 in 29 games, a lot of those were the match winning goals.

Straight off the bat at the start of the season we won the first 3 games of the season 1-0 with Sturridge scoring the goal in each game.

Without Sturridge, we may have just finished 3rd or 4th, we will have conceded too many goals for even Suarez alone to provide the goals for challenging for the title.

Sturridge did play well throughout that season for sure, but it was clearly Suarez who propelled him (and the rest of the team) to any kind of success. Players like Suarez can negate the failures of a team and improve the sum just by being on the pitch.

I do agree with you, but that's 6 points, not 9...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ned Stark
Sturridge did play well throughout that season for sure, but it was clearly Suarez who propelled him (and the rest of the team) to any kind of success. Players like Suarez can negate the failures of a team and improve the sum just by being on the pitch.

I don't understand why it's difficult that both players were the key reasons for our success that season?

Original post by QuadStudios
I do agree with you, but that's 6 points, not 9...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good spot :colondollar:

Latest