The Student Room Group

Flying on aeroplanes - are you scared that it will crash?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by davidguettafan
EVA air... Do u know anything about them Andy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Globally speaking it's the third safest airline, no one has ever been hurt in one of their flights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rockrunride
I love the fact that they're so technologically advanced all pilots need to control it is the little joystick.

It's ridiculous :tongue: I had a chance to go to the a380 final assembly line and it was unreal

EVA air... Do u know anything about them Andy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Direct flight to Thailand? or Taiwan? I know someone that has flown with EVA air and said they weren't bad :smile:
I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing :frown:

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.

I'm going on a long trans-Atlantic flight too, don't worry! Firstly, all these incidents are around either warzones or areas with bad regulation, such as Indonesia. If you're going from the UK you shouldn't be worried. Even then, it would probably be more dangerous driving than flying. People do not realise how many are killed on the roads each year.

When people die in a car collision, it's never usually more than 8 people who are killed. This is why bus crashes make it on the news, and they do not. When a plane crashes the loss is huge, so it does make the news.
More are killed in cars, but each event is not large enough to warrent coverage, so the fear is in part due to the media, but don't worry about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Compare the number of people who die in a road traffic accident with the number of aircraft crash fatalities:

2014 data.

RTA's; 1775 UK only fatalities.

Air Crashes; 1328 global fatalities.

From this statistic alone, you have a better chance of winning the (59 number) lottery than to die in an air accident.
(edited 8 years ago)
You are seven times more likely to crash on a plane than win the lottery so, yeah, i will be scared.

But dw too much about it, you will probably land safe.
Reply 65
Original post by Blackstarr
You are seven times more likely to crash on a plane than win the lottery so, yeah, i will be scared.

But dw too much about it, you will probably land safe.

You're more likely to get hit by lightning twice than win the lottery

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Indeed, hence the "/" separator (survivability is low where large quantities of jet fuel and/or high speeds are concerned, irrespective of altitude)

Statistically better than you might think, though I'm not all that keen to play the odds myself.

Large quantities of jet fuel, high altitude and high speed are all factors noticeably absent from my helicopter flying though :wink:
Reply 67
I'm more scared of the barotrauma (because my ears hurt hell a lot when the airplane lands) than about it crashing
Original post by Foo.mp3
Flip-side is you're more likely to collide with somet at low alt and you can't rely on aerofoils to generate lift if you lose power, aye

Sure you can. It's called autorotation. You're much better off losing power in a helicopter than a fixed wing aircraft, as a helicopter can lose most or all of the forward speed before touching down. I've done half a dozen or so landings after cutting all engine power at 600'.

Yeah you're generally closer to obstacles, but that's not a problem with decent planning.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Kudos, but you don't spend all that long <200m off the deck ordinarily and with power failure you only have so much time to use pitch and wind velocity to generate sufficient lift a la freewheeling autorotation (particularly if you fail to manoeuvre into wind)

Actually about 80% of my flying has been below 1,000', but more height just gives you more options. Power failure close to the ground is harder to deal with (as the crash in Honolulu showed). You can autorotate as long as you like, the rate of descent stabilises pretty quickly and the aircraft just glides. Wind direction only matters when you're close to the ground, when yes you do want to be into the wind. The biggest danger is not reducing pitch fast enough and inducing blades stall, but once you've made that initial reaction the rest of the glide is pretty dull.

+ weather + piloting + luck (flocks/poorly lit buildings/other aviators)

They're not big issues if you plan appropriately. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's easy, but there are procedures and routines which take luck out of the equation.
Original post by Pickles
It's ridiculous :tongue: I had a chance to go to the a380 final assembly line and it was unreal

Direct flight to Thailand? or Taiwan? I know someone that has flown with EVA air and said they weren't bad :smile:

Yeah Thailand, you ever been?
Yeah not just crash though other things too but then once up in the air that changes to the fact if it going to happen there is nothing you can do about it and just distract myself with watching films, playing games etc.

I have only had this since the most recent of incidents from say stuff from 2007 onwards before that had absolutely no issues with flying really
Yeah Thailand, you ever been?

I have indeed, it's such a cool place. Let me know if you need any tips etc. :smile:
Original post by Pickles
I have indeed, it's such a cool place. Let me know if you need any tips etc. :smile:

Yeah where do you recommend I visit? I want to go to an island with beautiful beaches and sea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah where do you recommend I visit? I want to go to an island with beautiful beaches and sea

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long are you going for? I travelled S. E. Asia for about 2 1/2 months. Instead of clogging up this thread, drop me a VM or PM then we can chat over that. Thailand is cool :smile:
Yes. But it's one of many things I get anxious about so I deal with it okay.
Nope. I'm isially a regular traveller and have never been scared
Original post by Pickles
How long are you going for? I travelled S. E. Asia for about 2 1/2 months. Instead of clogging up this thread, drop me a VM or PM then we can chat over that. Thailand is cool :smile:

Ok I have messaged you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
More likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport.
Original post by queen-bee
Nope. I'm isially a regular traveller and have never been scared

Do you travel long haul or short flights? For me short flights are less scary lol unless you think about that Germanwings co pilot who crashed the short haul flight :/. Scary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest