The Student Room Group

Best city in the uk to move to other than London

Looking to move to the UK from Australia for a fresh start. I would like a city that has welcoming people, wicked nightlife and a good cultural scene. Thought you guys might be able to help out and this could provoke a good chat about London alternatives :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hpayne96
Looking to move to the UK from Australia for a fresh start. I would like a city that has welcoming people, wicked nightlife and a good cultural scene. Thought you guys might be able to help out and this could provoke a good chat about London alternatives :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brighton is pretty awesome in that way. Young, beach scene with awesome night life. Great culture, great city, an hour from London.
Sounds like Manchester!
It's basically London in smaller form, the nightlife and underground scene is really good :smile: Also people up north are really friendly compared to London. If you have any questions feel free to ask !
Reply 3
Birmingham
Bristol or Sheffield
Manchester ❤️
Manchester!
A lot of the major cities here have what you're after OP, will you be moving to the UK to study or to work?
Leeds.
DON'T move to the UK, it is a disaster full of bigots and idiots.
Bristol by far.

Don't go North, it's cold.
Original post by similarBlank
DON'T move to the UK, it is a disaster full of bigots and idiots.

Would you like some ketchup to go with that chip on your shoulder?
Leeds Leeds Leeds

How big a city do you want?
It sounds like you want friendly people who are similar in outlook to Aussies.

If so, I would recommend Newcastle - Very friendly people. Their winters might be a little tough for you, but a decent nightlife. Edinburgh also has a great nightlife and friendly people.

If you want a smaller town, someone mentioned Sheffield, which is very decent. Decent nightlife, decent people, very low rent.

Manchester is 'Standard big city #1242'. It's not as cultural as Edinburgh nor as party-central as Newcastle. You might like it, or it might be too generic for you. Great football, though, if you're in to that.

Can you be a bit more specific about budgets and things that interest you? It might help.

If you're a hard-drinking clubber with no interests outside of sex, my advice will be very different than a lad's lad footballer or an arts geek(Of which I am one).
Reply 14
I would first say Bristol and then Leeds :smile:
Original post by Inazuma
Would you like some ketchup to go with that chip on your shoulder?

And mustard please. Yum.

BTW, if you think I'm one of those people calling right-wingers bigots I'm not, I'm referring to the people who call anyone who wants to leave the EU 'racist' and such. The, typically, left-wingers who are so self-righteous and smug they don't even realise they're being intolerant to other peoples' views. So I haven't got a chip on my shoulder, I'm having a go at the people that do. :P (Sorry, I should've made that more evident in the first place....)
Reply 16
Bristol. People are nice and has good nightlife. It's down south yet affordable. Still, it'll depend on what you want to do in the UK. Bristol has 2 universities and is engineering centric in terms of job market.
Original post by similarBlank
And mustard please. Yum.

BTW, if you think I'm one of those people calling right-wingers bigots I'm not, I'm referring to the people who call anyone who wants to leave the EU 'racist' and such. The, typically, left-wingers who are so self-righteous and smug they don't even realise they're being intolerant to other peoples' views. So I haven't got a chip on my shoulder, I'm having a go at the people that do. :P (Sorry, I should've made that more evident in the first place....)

Mustard?! You animal! :afraid:
(It's all about the mayo)

I wasn't particularly sure who you were referring too, but since you meant them, I'll let you off this time for insulting the UK :wink:
Though a chip on one's shoulder sounds pretty tasty....
Manchesta
Original post by Inazuma
Mustard?! You animal! :afraid:
(It's all about the mayo)

I wasn't particularly sure who you were referring too, but since you meant them, I'll let you off this time for insulting the UK :wink:
Though a chip on one's shoulder sounds pretty tasty....

Yeah. :biggrin: Sorry, I'm pretty hyped up at the moment as I was just around people insulting the leave campaign and was getting quite frustrated at them disregarding peoples' views like that. When I see these British people doing that it's the only time I ever think bad stuff about Britain. :smile:

To keep this on topic, if OP wants a "wicked nightlife" I've heard Brighton is.... rather like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending