The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

I've failed a module in my first year, can I still get into second year

Is it still possible to get into second year, I want to study abroad for my second year. Is this failed module going to be an issue, if I pass everything else? Or will it mean I can't go into second year until I passed it next year.
Original post by shelly100
Is it still possible to get into second year, I want to study abroad for my second year. Is this failed module going to be an issue, if I pass everything else? Or will it mean I can't go into second year until I passed it next year.

You'll still be able to go on to second year but you may have to retake that module you failed during your second year. You may also be able to retake some assignments/exams in the summer before your second year too.
As for year abroad, I'm not sure for your uni but I know you need a minimum of around 60% in each module to be eligible for a year abroad.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
You really need to contact your department to see what the rules are relating to failing a module. Maybe they will give you sufficient time to do a resit. It varies between unis and courses.
Reply 3
Original post by cherryred90s
You'll still be able to go on to second year but you may have to retake that module you failed during your second year. You may also be able to retake some assignments/exams in the summer before your second year too.
As for year abroad, I'm not sure for your uni but I know you need a minimum of around 60% in each module to be eligible for a year abroad.

I passed all my other modules so far except for this one. When I applied for study abroad they never said anything about needing 60%. It was something like it depended on the host uni requirements. I'm not sure though I'm hoping it's not 60%
Check your uni's policies for admittance to 2nd year and for retakes. At mine we need 40% in first year across the modules that are counted, including 40% in every core module. We can retake once at the start of 2nd year.
They sometimes have slightly different policies for 1st year January exams. For one of my core modules we can also retake in June, so you might want to check that too.
It depends what code you got for the module when the marks were published on student record . Check the code against the document from the student centre http://www.studynet2.herts.ac.uk/ptl/common/studentcentre.nsf/0/98370E73AE82CA21802577E60057CE00/$FILE/Transcript%20Grade%20Information%20January%202012.pdf . If still stuck, talk to your programme tutor who will be able to tell you what to do
Original post by morgan8002
Check your uni's policies for admittance to 2nd year and for retakes. At mine we need 40% in first year across the modules that are counted, including 40% in every core module. We can retake once at the start of 2nd year.
They sometimes have slightly different policies for 1st year January exams. For one of my core modules we can also retake in June, so you might want to check that too.

40%!?
Mines 60-70 :frown:
Original post by shelly100
I passed all my other modules so far except for this one. When I applied for study abroad they never said anything about needing 60%. It was something like it depended on the host uni requirements. I'm not sure though I'm hoping it's not 60%

Your uni probably has some form of entry requirement so check the website or ask a tutor.
If you've failed the module, you'll have to retake either at the end of this academic year or during your next year.
40%!?

That seems quite high. That means that everyone going through is on track for a 1st or a 2.1.
Although the requirements for staying on the 4 year course for mine is 60% after 2nd year I think.
Reply 9
40%!?

40% is the pass mark for modules in my uni as well
Original post by shawtyb
40% is the pass mark for modules in my uni as well

Yeah 40 the pass mark but to be eligible for a year or term abroad, you need 60-70
Yeah 40 the pass mark but to be eligible for a year or term abroad, you need 60-70

At mine the 40% is just to get into the second year. I don't think there are additional requirements to do a year abroad. But it depends on the uni.
edit: Obviously you have to speak the language etc..
(edited 8 years ago)
At mine the 40% is just to get into the second year. I don't think there are additional requirements to do a year abroad. But it depends on the uni.
edit: Obviously you have to speak the language etc..

Which uni are you at?
Which uni are you at?

Warwick.
Warwick.

I've just had a look, your uni requires 60% too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending