The Student Room Group

Surviving University - need some advice

Hi guys, just wondering if it would be possible to survive off of a maintenance loan. I'm planning on doing a NHS funded course (diagnostic radiography) but my parents would not be able to help me during my course..

Would I have to work while I do my degree?
currently looking at studying at Birmingham/Bristol
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
anyone know anything?
Reply 2
anyone?
Reply 3
Original post by KyleH123
Hi guys, just wondering if it would be possible to survive off of a maintenance loan. I'm planning on doing a NHS funded course (diagnostic radiography) but my parents would not be able to help me during my course..

The amount you get depends on your circumstances. If you get the maximum loan you'll probably be fine, but if you get less you might struggle more. It also depends on the accommodation cost - some can cost more than you'll receive in the loan.

In short, the reason you've received no replies yet is because you've not left any time for people to answer (bear in mind people are at work or school) and because your question is impossible to answer.
You can use the Student Finance Calculator to get an estimate of what you'll receive from the government to help support you. Your university may also have bursaries available, so you can look into that on the websites of the universities you're considering.

It's perfectly possible to have a job while studying, yes. That could be a part time job with proper shifts, but alternatively there might be many other opportunities available for casual work (student ambassadors/other roles within uni, working events, tutoring, being an extra etc).
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
The amount you get depends on your circumstances. If you get the maximum loan you'll probably be fine, but if you get less you might struggle more. It also depends on the accommodation cost - some can cost more than you'll receive in the loan.

In short, the reason you've received no replies yet is because you've not left any time for people to answer (bear in mind people are at work or school) and because your question is impossible to answer.

My parents don't work as my mother is ill and so my dad has to look after her as her carer.
So I assume I'd receive the maximum loan.

Thanks for the repy.
Reply 6
My parents don't work as my mother is ill and so my dad has to look after her as her carer.
So I assume I'd receive the maximum loan.

Thanks for the repy.

This is your money so it's a bit too important to just assume. Use the calculator to assess how much you're eligible for. Then check the uni websites to see how much their accommodation will cost. You'll be able to use this to see whether you'll have money left over, and if so how much that will be.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
This is your money so it's a bit too important to just assume. Use the calculator to assess how much you're eligible for. Then check the uni websites to see how much their accommodation will cost. You'll be able to use this to see whether you'll have money left over, and if so how much that will be.

£8200 per year for birmingham
Reply 8
£8200 per year for birmingham

You get £8200 left over? Why are you worried then?
Reply 9

You get maximum loan, £8.2k? That's more than enough!
Why are you even worried, I live in Birmingham and most stuff is dead cheap, accomodation at uni won't cost much either compared to other cities. You won't starve, just go to the baguette shop and get a £1 baguette. And if you're really worried then just get a student account with a big overdraft facility
you'll be fine, you probably don't need to work provided you choose your accommodation sensibly

I believe it is possible to survive off your maintenance loan. With mine in first year, it allowed me £80 a week - so I believe it depends on the amount you are offered and what it boils down to a week and then taking away your expenses etc.

You may have to work, but there are small jobs you can get.
Reply 12
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
I believe it is possible to survive off your maintenance loan. With mine in first year, it allowed me £80 a week - so I believe it depends on the amount you are offered and what it boils down to a week and then taking away your expenses etc.

You may have to work, but there are small jobs you can get.

Original post by doodle_333
you'll be fine, you probably don't need to work provided you choose your accommodation sensibly

Original post by RonnieRJ
You get maximum loan, £8.2k? That's more than enough!
Why are you even worried, I live in Birmingham and most stuff is dead cheap, accomodation at uni won't cost much either compared to other cities. You won't starve, just go to the baguette shop and get a £1 baguette. And if you're really worried then just get a student account with a big overdraft facility

Original post by Juno
You get £8200 left over? Why are you worried then?

Thanks so much guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending