The Student Room Group

Turkey joining the EU? Disucuss

I was just curious as to everyone's opinions of both the outcome and the validity of the claims that Turkey is to achieve its long coveted full EU membership by June? Also do you think its notable absence from the media is due to the fact that it would no doubt have a huge effect on people's decisions in the referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even if you take away the fact that Turkey is a backwards country ran by a despot-in-the-making and that the country doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the EU's requirements on human rights etcetera. The country has a border with Syria it can't even police. It's been 'holding the EU to ransom' as some have said to receive extra money and to fast track its ascension to the EU.

That's not true. The EU elites would LOVE for turkey to join. It just makes them feel more prestigious reigning over an extra 75 million people, bringing more of the world under their influence. They don't care about how European society will be affected by the free-movement of people from backwards and inferior cultures.
Turkey has no cultural ties to Europe. This whole accelerated deal, but the whole deal to begin with, seems like some blackmail scheme so that the refugees in Greece and Germany can be sent back to Turkey asap, among other things. I am generally pro-Europe and I have nothing against the Turkish population, but Turkey as an EU member...how exactly does that make sense? Just no.
I hope UK leaves EU.
(edited 8 years ago)
If Turkey want to join the EU, we should look into this AFTER we have the refugee crisis under control. Right now we need to try to work closely with Turkey to deal with it. Perhaps giving them a chance to prove if they'd be a good addition to EU.
God no I hope it doesn't.

You'd have millions of savage,uneducated migrants who come from a backward culture running to the UK,Sweden and Germany for benefits.
Original post by Lord Samosa
If Turkey want to join the EU, we should look into this AFTER we have the refugee crisis under control. Right now we need to try to work closely with Turkey to deal with it. Perhaps giving them a chance to prove if they'd be a good addition to EU.

I agree that the refugee crisis must first be dealt with before anyone does anything, but concerning Turkey's proposed EU membership in general... In my opinion there are many countries in the world that would theoretically make a good addition to the EU, but they do not have any sort of cultural ties to Europe and therefore they should not be considered.
If the EU is to remain the "European Union" in a cultural/historical sense, we can't just add an Asian country to the mix. If we go that route we might as well have the U.S. join up; they'd probably mesh better culturally than the Turks.
I'll focus on the Economics. :h:

Turkey in general have a good economic condition. The country has a steady economic growth rate of 4%. They were able to manage financial downturns well, particularly in terms of trading iron, steel, vehicles, machinery and electrical equipment. Back in 2001 they heavily relied on foreign investment, though now they are a self-sufficient country. Few the past decade Turkey was seen to have equal economic conditions to countries such as Bulagria and Romania, though now they're better off. It's evident because the income per-capita has increased six-fold! If they do join the EU they will expand the consumer market significantly.

On the other hand, the country can still be seen as under-developed to a few countries in the EU. It's still considered as a "poor" which could place a strain further on the EU. the country's unemployment rate is actually rising, which may lead to a migration of the Turks to the west; the French including many other EU countries are not supportive of this.
Original post by Desideria
I agree that the refugee crisis must first be dealt with before anyone does anything, but concerning Turkey's proposed EU membership in general... In my opinion there are many countries in the world that would theoretically make a good addition to the EU, but they do not have any sort of cultural ties to Europe and therefore they should not be considered.
If the EU is to remain the "European Union" in a cultural/historical sense, we can't just add an Asian country to the mix. If we go that route we might as well have the U.S. join up; they'd probably mesh better culturally than the Turks.

But Turkey has been a part of NATO for a long time, fought in WW1, a member of the European council and so on. It would be silly to say Turkey has absolutely nothing to do with Europe. If we were talking about a country like Sudan trying to join then fair enough. But Turkey does have ties to Europe, we cannot ignore that. And tbf they are one of the most "westernised" Muslim countries.

They have an interesting economy, that could be a positive for the EU in the long term. http://www.oecd.org/economy/turkey-economic-forecast-summary.htm

But ultimately, we mustn't rush in a decision, we don't want to burden the EU further and need to make a sound decision that benefits everyone.
I think the whole thing is disgusting.

The migrant plan won't work it will face legal challenges under human rights law.

We have just let 80 million people to move around as they please

Accelerated their membership application

Given them 6 billion

The vast majority of their country isn't Europe

They can't police their boarders which are with dangerous countries

At the stroke of a pen Europe is a fifth Muslim

Their culture is nothing like our

They are poor

Their economy is nothing like ours

I could go on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
God no I hope it doesn't.

You'd have millions of savage,uneducated migrants who come from a backward culture running to the UK,Sweden and Germany for benefits.

I get your point but countries such as Slovakia, Poland and Czech republic, who reputably, have the highest number of immigrants in England reigned with benefits have low GNI's that Turkey so maybe Turkey is different. But I do honestly get what your implying because, no matter what, that will occur and it will affect the popular of current residents of the UK.
Original post by Oblivion99
I get your point but countries such as Slovakia, Poland and Czech republic, who reputably, have the highest number of immigrants in England reigned with benefits have low GNI's that Turkey so maybe Turkey is different. But I do honestly get what your implying because, no matter what, that will occur and it will affect the popular of current residents of the UK.

What's more worrying is that it's Muslim migration and the migrants coming from countries where gender equalities are among the bottom 10 in the world. Polish people,Czechs and Slovakians aren't normally Muslim and at least they're not as bad I guess.
Original post by paul514

The migrant plan won't work it will face legal challenges under human rights law.

Given them 6 billion

They are poor

I could go on

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said again, your 31. Pathetic. Their culture is nothing "like ours", what culture do we exactly abide to? And yes Turkey have a culture, but us British have immersed ourselves into those cultures as a lot of us find their restaurants delicious. Yes there are differences but other EU countries have differences which are manageable.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What's more worrying is that it's Muslim migration and the migrants coming from countries where gender equalities are among the bottom 10 in the world. Polish people,Czechs and Slovakians aren't normally Muslim and at least they're not as bad I guess.

Yeah true. I am not Muslim, but how does their religion merge into this? Obviously, they will have to comprehend that if they do migrate to this country, they will have to abandon their religious abdications (despite being a unreligious country with actually an adequate population of non muslims there). Thus, UK might not be part of the EU then so we probably will have NO immigrants! :2euk48l:
Original post by Oblivion99
Yeah true. I am not Muslim, but how does their religion merge into this? Obviously, they will have to comprehend that if they do migrate to this country, they will have to abandon their religious abdications (despite being a unreligious country with actually an adequate population of non muslims there). Thus, UK might not be part of the EU then so we probably will have NO immigrants! :2euk48l:

Their religion and culture go hand in hand. There have been sharia patrols in Vienna at night telling the girls to cover up, you've had hate preachers and police in Germany have received countless tipoffs that many migrants are Islamic State supporters.

Hahaha I doubt they will. I hope to God that the UK comes out of the EU.
Original post by paul514

Not really, as the EU countries will only be "deporting" them to another EU country which is not against any HR legislation or international law.

Well yes, that is one of the benefits of membership.

They've been on the waiting list since 1989, I think. The Germans (who wish to wield the EU for their own interests) have always blocked any progression of accession.

Given them 6 billion

Turkey asked NATO, the EU and the US to implement a No-fly Zone over Syria and a buffer zone for refugees along their border a couple of years back. Had they done so, we would be seeing a lot less movement .

Furthermore, the EU has been asking Turkey to let in more Syrian refugees and some form of compensation needs to be paid.

You don't need to be in Europe to be in the EU. Algeria, as a former French colony until it's independence in 1962 was part of the EEC, the precursor to the EU.

Of course they can. As a member of NATO, and as the second largest army personnel within NATO, they are more than adequately equipped to deal with their borders.

The people that will be defending Europe, in the event of an attack, will be Muslim. Do you have an issue with Muslims defending you?

Turkey has been at the forefront of adopting European cultures and practices for the last 100 years. Where some EU nationals grudgingly accepted changes in their cultures, Turkish people have enthusiastically welcomed it.

They are poor

If they were in the EU, they would rank 7th by GDP.

If Turkey is what you consider to be "poor", then let's kick out the 22 Member States who are poorer than Turkey.

I could go on

You could, but it won't get you anywhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Not really, as the EU countries will only be "deporting" them to another EU country which is not against any HR legislation or international law.

Well yes, that is one of the benefits of membership.

They've been on the waiting list since 1989, I think. The Germans (who wish to wield the EU for their own interests) have always blocked any progression of accession.

Turkey asked NATO, the EU and the US to implement a No-fly Zone over Syria and a buffer zone for refugees along their border a couple of years back. Had they done so, we would be seeing a lot less movement .

Furthermore, the EU has been asking Turkey to let in more Syrian refugees and some form of compensation needs to be paid.

You don't need to be in Europe to be in the EU. Algeria, as a former French colony until it's independence in 1962 was part of the EEC, the precursor to the EU.

Of course they can. As a member of NATO, and as the second largest army personnel within NATO, they are more than adequately equipped to deal with their borders.

The people that will be defending Europe, in the event of an attack, will be Muslim. Do you have an issue with Muslims defending you?

Turkey has been at the forefront of adopting European cultures and practices for the last 100 years. Where some EU nationals grudgingly accepted changes in their cultures, Turkish people have enthusiastically welcomed it.

If they were in the EU, they would rank 7th by GDP.

If Turkey is what you consider to be "poor", then let's kick out the 22 Member States who are poorer than Turkey.

You could, but it won't get you anywhere.

FUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK!!!! You answer just summed up this thread. Respect.
Reply 17
Original post by Roofas
Even if you take away the fact that Turkey is a backwards country ran by a despot-in-the-making and that the country doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the EU's requirements on human rights etcetera. The country has a border with Syria it can't even police. It's been 'holding the EU to ransom' as some have said to receive extra money and to fast track its ascension to the EU.

That's not true. The EU elites would LOVE for turkey to join. It just makes them feel more prestigious reigning over an extra 75 million people, bringing more of the world under their influence. They don't care about how European society will be affected by the free-movement of people from backwards and inferior cultures.

very good points here
Turkey would actually be the poorest nation within the EU by gdp per capita, much poorer even than the Baltic and Eastern European states.
They are now becoming more despotic by the week - newspaper offices and tv news agencies are being invaded and gagged by Erdogan and his government, and reporters have only recently been arrested and jailed without charge for writing anti-government articles! Hardly the progressive muslim country that some are trying to convince us they are.
Turkey has air power and a huge land army that they are currently using to bomb the Kurds that are actively fighting ISIS. Do you really think it a good idea to allow accession to the EU of a country that would deal oil with ISIS whilst actively hampering attempts to fight the terrorist organisation? I could also mention that despite this huge army, they are unable to secure their border and control the movement of people within Turkey as they have so far allowed over 130,000 "refugees" to cross into Greece illegally. These are not exactly the actions of a nation that has any intention of either 'westernising' or controlling their border with a neighbouring country and, by default, the EU.
I do hope for a Brexit.
Turkey has all sorts of problems like discriminating against Kurds, supporting Islamist rebels in Syria with weapons, periodically shelling the Kurdish YPG in Syria (who have captured large areas of the Turkish border from ISIS), wrongfully detaining journalists and activists under anti terrorism laws, and recent events suggest that they have some major problems with press freedom. And their border with Syria is quite porous, with all sorts of smuggling going on. That country should not be allowed anywhere near EU membership.

Quick Reply

Latest