The Student Room Group

Ridiculous TESCO screening test 2016?

Hi all.

So I applied to Tesco once before back in November 2014. I remember applying to about 7 different jobs and failing the screening test on all of them except the last 2 - these two got me an interview, which I then messed up over massive nerves issues.

I'm re-applying to some more jobs on a different account, and I KEEP failing them, no matter how many times I re-try. Every time I fail every job listing posted, I create a new account and try again (You're not allowed to re-apply).

I actually went back onto my original account, found the job application history & found the 2 that were successful, wrote down the answers I put and then used them on this new account.. STILL got the instant automated rejection.

Nothing is different, same store as well. Only difference is my email..

Anyone know if there's some sort of new secret sequence of answers to give in 2016, or is it just bugged?

Scroll to see replies

i think Tesco just take the piss with applying online.
it's probably just down to the vacancies they have and by the time you applied they probably have enough people, idk
keep trying, it's just luck.

sainsburys are good for replying, but theyre website is faulty as it never lets me actually apply after typing in my postcode.

it's ridiculous.
Reply 2
Original post by chickenfoot
i think Tesco just take the piss with applying online.
it's probably just down to the vacancies they have and by the time you applied they probably have enough people, idk
keep trying, it's just luck.

sainsburys are good for replying, but theyre website is faulty as it never lets me actually apply after typing in my postcode.

it's ridiculous.

Very annoying indeed. Will keep my eye open for any vacancies at Sainsburys. Will go into the Tesco store tomorrow morning and see if they'll take my CV that way too
Reply 3
I keep getting the exact message and I'm starting to get quite annoyed. :angry:
Reply 4
Original post by Sarah_E24
I keep getting the exact message and I'm starting to get quite annoyed. :angry:

Feel you on that one ha. I tried 4 different accounts in the end. Given up!
Tescos are shysters, man. You don't want to work for them.
Reply 6
Go for aldi, Morrisions, Waitrose or even Lidl. They're better environments and you're more valued than an employee at tesco would be
Reply 7
I emailed Tesco, having failed the screening test multiple times. I even asked a friend who works for Tesco to fill it out and he failed using the same answers that he used when applying for the job.
anywho, this was the response I received telling me that I was wrong when I know that I was right, considering I already work in retail.
"Thank you for your email and your interest in joining Tesco. We can confirm that your application was unsuccessful based on the online test that you were asked to complete. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any individual feedback for the questionnaire due to the high volume of applicants we receive. We also do provide feedback as this would give you an advantage over others if you were to apply for other vacancies. As you may be aware, when applying for the vacancy you completed a situational judgement test that asked you to choose (from the options) how you would respond to a certain situation that may arise in a retail environment. We do this to see which candidates we believe would be the most appropriate for our retail environment and who, based on these questions, we feel would best live our values. Unfortunately, you did not achieve the minimum criteria required in our automatic screening to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process. Our advice would be to visit the link below which has our core purpose and values which are helpful to remember when answering the situational judgement questions. We would also encourage you to really put yourselves in the shoes of our colleagues & customers when applying again. We would like to encourage you to re-apply to other vacancies when and if they may arise online. We hope this answers your query and best of luck with any future applications ":angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:I don't want to work for them anymore anyway hahaha.
I got the same message the other day. Honestly was a bit shocked because I thought my answers were alright :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Sarah_E24
I emailed Tesco, having failed the screening test multiple times. I even asked a friend who works for Tesco to fill it out and he failed using the same answers that he used when applying for the job.
anywho, this was the response I received telling me that I was wrong when I know that I was right, considering I already work in retail.
"Thank you for your email and your interest in joining Tesco. We can confirm that your application was unsuccessful based on the online test that you were asked to complete. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any individual feedback for the questionnaire due to the high volume of applicants we receive. We also do provide feedback as this would give you an advantage over others if you were to apply for other vacancies. As you may be aware, when applying for the vacancy you completed a situational judgement test that asked you to choose (from the options) how you would respond to a certain situation that may arise in a retail environment. We do this to see which candidates we believe would be the most appropriate for our retail environment and who, based on these questions, we feel would best live our values. Unfortunately, you did not achieve the minimum criteria required in our automatic screening to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process. Our advice would be to visit the link below which has our core purpose and values which are helpful to remember when answering the situational judgement questions. We would also encourage you to really put yourselves in the shoes of our colleagues & customers when applying again. We would like to encourage you to re-apply to other vacancies when and if they may arise online. We hope this answers your query and best of luck with any future applications ":angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:I don't want to work for them anymore anyway hahaha.

Bet their poxy thing is bugged and they just don't want to admit it!!
Reply 10
I've worked here for two years. I applied when I was 16, got rejected and applied again 6 months later (still 16) and got accepted. Literally had the exact same answers on the form that I'd had in my first application. It's a decent job, and will definitely see me through university. I just could not cope having to work for them full time - It's absolutely soul destroying.

Soz if I've put anyone off x
The same of losers in here is strong indeed. The fact that chav's with no GCSE's can get jobs here.
Hi i passed the online test about 15 times now..my applications turns to unsuccesful once expiry date of vacancy arrives.
Original post by MasterButcher
The same of losers in here is strong indeed. The fact that chav's with no GCSE's can get jobs here.

Just google the answers, it took me 30mins to find them.
My application is now under review.
No need to be bitter, just try harder.
Has anybody passed the new Festive Colleague online application test questions? They are completely different to the usual ones used for the rest of the years applications. If somebody has the right answers would you post them here please. I'd really appreciate some help.
Thanks.
I have tried the Festive Colleague one multiple times and have failed this each time with different answers as well. So frustrating.
Hi there, I have just got past the questions and submitted my application for a Festive Colleague job about 10 mins ago, here are the answers.
1) Working as a colleague, you will be interacting with customers etc. ANSWER= I like serving customers....etc
2) Working during a season where there is lots to get on with etc. ANSWER= I am happy when kept busy...etc
3) Working across several departments (how do you feel) etc. ANSWER= I like learning new things...etc
4) Working in a team and often need to ask for advice etc. ANSWER= I like working in a team...etc
5) Customer asking about Mince Pies etc. ANSWER= Take customer to where mince pies are...etc
6) Fellow colleague struggling to find Goose Fat etc. ANSWER= Help them immediately...etc
7) Restocking the crackers and customers are asking questions etc. ANSWER= Serve as fast as possible...etc
8) A customer is chatting to you about a good experience etc. ANSWER= Talk more so feedback can be passed on...etc
9) Overheard a couple discussing mince pies etc. ANSWER= Pause what you are doing...etc
10) Getting to know colleagues but asked to go to a different department etc. ANSWER= Help out in other department...etc.

Hope this makes sense, I shortened the questions and answers obviously, this worked for me! Good Luck, I know Tesco are a pain in the arse.
Hmmm I passed the Festive one no problems first time (I assume it would immediately tell me if I failed?) But I cannot for the life of me pass the other one. I have done it 3 times, changing some of my answers that could be debatable, but still getting rejected!
I honestly don't know what I am doing wrong, I have worked other retail jobs for years so I know what I am doing and I know I can do it. Just can't get past this stupid screening. Fingers crossed I land a festive job and they actuallly see my ability.
Original post by Bewsh
Hi all.

So I applied to Tesco once before back in November 2014. I remember applying to about 7 different jobs and failing the screening test on all of them except the last 2 - these two got me an interview, which I then messed up over massive nerves issues.

I'm re-applying to some more jobs on a different account, and I KEEP failing them, no matter how many times I re-try. Every time I fail every job listing posted, I create a new account and try again (You're not allowed to re-apply).

I actually went back onto my original account, found the job application history & found the 2 that were successful, wrote down the answers I put and then used them on this new account.. STILL got the instant automated rejection.

Nothing is different, same store as well. Only difference is my email..

Anyone know if there's some sort of new secret sequence of answers to give in 2016, or is it just bugged?

Both my parents work in Tesco and I applied for both of them, I know exactly why you're failing.

If you try and do the same screening questions more than once, thats it, your email is blacklisted. You need to make a new email and new account and retry with the seemingly obvious answers to the questions. Worked twice for me, store manager told me dad its how it is.

Trust me.
Original post by esmejane
Hi there, I have just got past the questions and submitted my application for a Festive Colleague job about 10 mins ago, here are the answers.
1) Working as a colleague, you will be interacting with customers etc. ANSWER= I like serving customers....etc
2) Working during a season where there is lots to get on with etc. ANSWER= I am happy when kept busy...etc
3) Working across several departments (how do you feel) etc. ANSWER= I like learning new things...etc
4) Working in a team and often need to ask for advice etc. ANSWER= I like working in a team...etc
5) Customer asking about Mince Pies etc. ANSWER= Take customer to where mince pies are...etc
6) Fellow colleague struggling to find Goose Fat etc. ANSWER= Help them immediately...etc
7) Restocking the crackers and customers are asking questions etc. ANSWER= Serve as fast as possible...etc
8) A customer is chatting to you about a good experience etc. ANSWER= Talk more so feedback can be passed on...etc
9) Overheard a couple discussing mince pies etc. ANSWER= Pause what you are doing...etc
10) Getting to know colleagues but asked to go to a different department etc. ANSWER= Help out in other department...etc.

Hope this makes sense, I shortened the questions and answers obviously, this worked for me! Good Luck, I know Tesco are a pain in the arse.

Wow, so now I'm so confused/annoyed, my answers were identical to yours excluding no. 10 (I put 'ask about other department') and I failed! Wtf, super annoyed :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending