The Student Room Group

Women in Sweden warned not to go out after dark

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caravaggio2
Rape stats in Sweden are only behind Lesotho.

You cannot compare rape stats of Sweden to any other for many many different reasons you idiot.
Original post by loveleest
sazzy said it so nicely- It is sad that women aren't allowed to go out at night because of rapists :'(

Thanks :smile: I make my comment as a woman who is generally nervous about being alone on her own at night for similar reasons. I am working evenings and won't be getting home until 10.30pm at night and I will be waiting for the bus on my own in the dark. I am also going out Saturday night and will be having to make my own way home.

It worries me that I could be seen as a target because I'm a woman alone at night, and it also worries me that if, God forbid, anything happened to me, people would be questioning why I was out alone at night rather than getting to the real issue that there is a rapist targeting women who should be just as entitled as anyone else to walk home from work or from an evening out with friends.
sazzy said it so nicely- It is sad that women aren't allowed to go out at night because of rapists :'(

Advised not to and not allowed are two completely different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zargabaath
Yep and the Police telling people not to approach criminals is the same as blaming them if they're attacked by them.

Telling someone to lock their door is the same as blaming them if they get burgled.

Telling someone to wear a seatbelt is the same as blaming them for getting hurt if they're in a car crash.

#Logic

We'll never live in a world like that because that's the nature of life on this planet.

I agree with you, but I think she meant to make the point that the initiative is misdirected; feels a bit like they aren't actually addressing the real problem. I think that's what the poster may have been trying to get around to saying.
I don't think that it was intended to make women seem any less equal than men, only concerned for their safety.
It's a shame we live in society where this type of behaviour is observed frequently and therefore commonplace to issue warnings about :frown:
Original post by JenniMusic
therefore commonplace to issue warnings about :frown:

How often are these warnings issued?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Advised not to and not allowed are two completely different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but obviously they would feel compelled not to go out if they would be raped...?

I feel like you constantly pick at my posts...why?
Original post by leavingthecity
I agree with you, but I think she meant to make the point that the initiative is misdirected; feels a bit like they aren't actually addressing the real problem. I think that's what the poster may have been trying to get around to saying.

I get you, but addressing the "real" problem isn't going to do anything. If it did we'd have no crime. Telling criminals not to commit crime isn't exactly a good plan.
Original post by Sazzy890
Thanks :smile: I make my comment as a woman who is generally nervous about being alone on her own at night for similar reasons. I am working evenings and won't be getting home until 10.30pm at night and I will be waiting for the bus on my own in the dark. I am also going out Saturday night and will be having to make my own way home.

It worries me that I could be seen as a target because I'm a woman alone at night, and it also worries me that if, God forbid, anything happened to me, people would be questioning why I was out alone at night rather than getting to the real issue that there is a rapist targeting women who should be just as entitled as anyone else to walk home from work or from an evening out with friends.

I totally can see where you are coming from. I get panic attacks when I am going home from a night out with my friends, and It is quite upsetting that it is like that..And yes, I agree it's annoying when people say that "Well, it's your fault for staying late at night" when men shouldn't be raping and sexually assaulting women in the first place.
Trouble with encouraging women not to go out alone at night is that it inadvertently puts the blame on the woman for being out on her own at night when in reality it is the rapists fault for raping the woman in the first place.

It is a shame that we live in a world now where people can't just go out at whatever time of day or night they like alone without there being a risk of being attacked and violated.

Sweden has never been like this, I wonder who caused it....... I didn't want to insert a #hatefact in fear of it being censored but search it up
I get you, but addressing the "real" problem isn't going to do anything. If it did we'd have no crime. Telling criminals not to commit crime isn't exactly a good plan.

As in the real touchy problem of immigrants committing these sex crimes.

It does feel a little like governments are to willing to call it what it is, or they're thinking of how to deal with this sensitive subject and in the meantime they advise women to stay in doors whilst they put together a plan.
Original post by leavingthecity
As in the real touchy problem of immigrants committing these sex crimes.

It does feel a little like governments are to willing to call it what it is, or they're thinking of how to deal with this sensitive subject and in the meantime they advise women to stay in doors whilst they put together a plan.

I think that's exactly what they're doing, although I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing nothing because they can't think of a solution.
Yep and the Police telling people not to approach criminals is the same as blaming them if they're attacked by them.

Telling someone to lock their door is the same as blaming them if they get burgled.

Telling someone to wear a seatbelt is the same as blaming them for getting hurt if they're in a car crash.

#Logic

We'll never live in a world like that because that's the nature of life on this planet.

So are you telling me that not locking your door, and not going out at night, are on exactly the same level in terms of extremeness?

Locking your door at night, is a very easy, low effort cautionary behaviour, that would not infringe on a persons life in anyway. Telling someone that they aren't allowed to leave their house after hours, would not infringe another persons life in any way either? Do you actually think that?

A more suitable example, would be telling someone not to buy nice things, because it invites burglars. That is a more fair comparison.
Telling someone to not leave their doors unlocked at night is much more common sense, and would be on the same level as telling a woman not to dance around naked at night.

Do you see the difference? Telling someone to lock their doors is reasonable. Telling someone to not venture out after hours is not reasonable, and is oppressive.

You need to solve the source of the problem, not change the victims behaviour to an extent where it affects their quality of life.

So yes, use some logic.

Original post by Farm_Ecology
No it doesnt. Warning somebody something bad might happen if they do something is not the same as blaming them if it does.
So you think trying to keep people safe is victim blaming, is it wrong to tell people to lock their front door when they go to bed?When could anyone go out at any time night or day and be completely safe?Posted from TSR Mobile

The above applies to you two as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think that's exactly what they're doing, although I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing nothing because they can't think of a solution.

Yep. Stuffing us girls indoors whilst they draft and redraft something that's sounds sensitive enough. You are right, I can't see them resolving the issue any time soon. Better plan some nights in for the foreseeable future if you live there.
Trouble with encouraging women not to go out alone at night is that it inadvertently puts the blame on the woman for being out on her own at night when in reality it is the rapists fault for raping the woman in the first place.

It is a shame that we live in a world now where people can't just go out at whatever time of day or night they like alone without there being a risk of being attacked and violated.

I always used to think this was victim blaming, then I realised I was how stupid that logic is. We do live in a horrible world, but trying to stay safe and telling women to stay safe doesn't mean it's a womans fault. It's just caring about people safety.

Rape is always a rapists fault.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, but obviously they would feel compelled not to go out if they would be raped...?

I feel like you constantly pick at my posts...why?

It is not a certain they will be raped, it is a caution that there has been a recent rise and it would be advisable not to put one's self in unnecessary risk.

Don't take it personally, I just disagree with a lot of your posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks
Telling someone that they aren't allowed to leave their house after hours, would not infringe another persons life in any way either? Do you actually think that?

Who has said they aren't allowed to go out after hours?
It is not a certain they will be raped, it is a caution that there has been a recent rise and it would be advisable not to put one's self in unnecessary risk.

Don't take it personally, I just disagree with a lot of your posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if there is a big chance, then they should avoid it by not just going out, imo
lmao. Huh?
I actually think you go out of your way to point out and pick the smallest/unnoticeable flaws out of my posts and make a big deal out of it...I have realised this.

What do I say that you disagree with so much?
Well, if there is a big chance, then they should avoid it by not just going out, imo
lmao. Huh?
I actually think you go out of your way to point out and pick the smallest/unnoticeable flaws out of my posts and make a big deal out of it...I have realised this.

What do I say that you disagree with so much?

Would you rather they had not said anything?

I don't go out of my way to pick apart your posts, you aren't that special. If they were unnoticeable then how did I notice them?

I just disagree with your opinions, I would take a guess that you are left leaning verging on tumblr feminism, but I may be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you rather they had not said anything?

I don't go out of my way to pick apart your posts, you aren't that special. If they were unnoticeable then how did I notice them?

I just disagree with your opinions, I would take a guess that you are left leaning verging on tumblr feminism, but I may be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a feminist yes, which a lot of people are against on tsr, so I can see why you disagree with a lot of my posts now.

Quick Reply