The Student Room Group

Birmingham, Exeter, Loughborough, or Sheffield?

I've received unconditional offers (already have my A-Levels) from all of the above uni's, but am very unsure of which one to pick. I've applied to study International Relations/Politics.

I know someone at Uni of Birmingham studying IR who I visit regularly, and have visited Loughborough on an open day. Birmingham uni itself seems really sociable, and the city vibe is tempting, but from what I've heard about the course I'm not 100% sure it's for me (lots of seminars, group stuff e.t.c.) Loughborough had a really nice vibe to it, but I'm a little worried the town is kind of boring, plus it's not as internationally renowned as Birmingham.

I'm not sure I'll be able to visit Sheffield, though I do hope to visit Exeter. As such I've not formed any personal opinions on those two! As such, I'm turning the TSR for help :smile:

If you go to one of these uni's, I'd love to hear your experience, particularly if you're studying (or have studied) Politics/International Relations. My primary focus is job prospects, so which of these uni's is the best for that (particularly internationally)? What are the student unions like? The city/town? The social life?

I'd really appreciate some advice with this. Thank you!
Reply 1
Ultimately, it's down to which course suits you the most.
My friend studies IR/Politics at Sheffield and I know he enjoys it, there are also plenty of student societies. Examine closely what units you will be covering at each university and decide for yourself which course seems the most interesting. I've only visited Sheffield Uni on their open day so I can't speak for the other ones but Sheffield struck me as one of the more interesting destinations for Uni out of the ones I visited. In the end I stuck with SOAS anyway as the course there suited what I wanted to study.
Original post by Dear_Rhian
I've received unconditional offers (already have my A-Levels) from all of the above uni's, but am very unsure of which one to pick. I've applied to study International Relations/Politics.

I know someone at Uni of Birmingham studying IR who I visit regularly, and have visited Loughborough on an open day. Birmingham uni itself seems really sociable, and the city vibe is tempting, but from what I've heard about the course I'm not 100% sure it's for me (lots of seminars, group stuff e.t.c.) Loughborough had a really nice vibe to it, but I'm a little worried the town is kind of boring, plus it's not as internationally renowned as Birmingham.

I'm not sure I'll be able to visit Sheffield, though I do hope to visit Exeter. As such I've not formed any personal opinions on those two! As such, I'm turning the TSR for help :smile:

If you go to one of these uni's, I'd love to hear your experience, particularly if you're studying (or have studied) Politics/International Relations. My primary focus is job prospects, so which of these uni's is the best for that (particularly internationally)? What are the student unions like? The city/town? The social life?

Hi Dear_Rhian

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough :biggrin:

Let us know if you have any specific questions about living/studying here.

Amy
Reply 3
Original post by Ananse
Ultimately, it's down to which course suits you the most.
My friend studies IR/Politics at Sheffield and I know he enjoys it, there are also plenty of student societies. Examine closely what units you will be covering at each university and decide for yourself which course seems the most interesting. I've only visited Sheffield Uni on their open day so I can't speak for the other ones but Sheffield struck me as one of the more interesting destinations for Uni out of the ones I visited. In the end I stuck with SOAS anyway as the course there suited what I wanted to study.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to have a real in-depth look into the course, modules e.t.c. and hope that helps me. I don't know why I'm struggling so much to decide. I'm gutted I couldn't visit Sheffield; I was meant to go today, but something came up.

What would you suggest in regards to accommodation, by the way? I'm actually at Uni Nottingham now (not really happy here, so my plan is to start over at one of these uni's if things continue), and am in self-catered accommodation. I find it pretty unsociable though, and haven't really made any friends. I'm not sure if it's simply the halls I live in, or the fact it's self-catered. It's tempting me to pick catered if I end up at one of these ui's next year, but I don't really like the idea of not being able to cook for myself! Are you living catered or self-catered in SOAS?
Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to have a real in-depth look into the course, modules e.t.c. and hope that helps me. I don't know why I'm struggling so much to decide. I'm gutted I couldn't visit Sheffield; I was meant to go today, but something came up.

What would you suggest in regards to accommodation, by the way? I'm actually at Uni Nottingham now (not really happy here, so my plan is to start over at one of these uni's if things continue), and am in self-catered accommodation. I find it pretty unsociable though, and haven't really made any friends. I'm not sure if it's simply the halls I live in, or the fact it's self-catered. It's tempting me to pick catered if I end up at one of these ui's next year, but I don't really like the idea of not being able to cook for myself! Are you living catered or self-catered in SOAS?

Have you thought of picking a day you want to go Sheffield then emailing the university and department to see if someone would be available to show you around. Most unis will be happy to do this and Nottingham to Sheffield is not that far.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Have you thought of picking a day you want to go Sheffield then emailing the university and department to see if someone would be available to show you around. Most unis will be happy to do this and Nottingham to Sheffield is not that far.

Yeah, I have considered doing something like that, it's probably a wise idea. They have general non-departmental open days, and sort of just turning up and having a wander around is possible, so I could do one of those.
Yeah, I have considered doing something like that, it's probably a wise idea. They have general non-departmental open days, and sort of just turning up and having a wander around is possible, so I could do one of those.

If you contact the department they may have a phd student or ambassador who will show you around. You could also book a campus tour
Reply 7
I have friends at both and the social life at each is apparently very good (especially Birmingham). Birmingham has a slightly better reputation, but then Loughborough is excellent for employment and I think you can do a year abroad or a year in industry if you please. I'm looking at transferring to Birmingham/Loughborough (Politics/Philosophy at Birmingham and Politics at Loughborough)- I was wondering who told you there were lots of group activities at Birmingham? As that's a bit of a put off for me. Loughborough seem to be very vague with their politics modules on their website too (especially third year modules).
Reply 8
Original post by 22.22
I have friends at both and the social life at each is apparently very good (especially Birmingham). Birmingham has a slightly better reputation, but then Loughborough is excellent for employment and I think you can do a year abroad or a year in industry if you please. I'm looking at transferring to Birmingham/Loughborough (Politics/Philosophy at Birmingham and Politics at Loughborough)- I was wondering who told you there were lots of group activities at Birmingham? As that's a bit of a put off for me. Loughborough seem to be very vague with their politics modules on their website too (especially third year modules).

Yeah, Birmingham's a massive city so there's definitely heaps to do there. It's my boyfriend who's studying IR and he has 6 seminars a week that entail debating, discussions e.t.c. He's also done a few group presentations. I realise that with social science courses, there will be group stuff, discussion e.t.c. but I just generally work better alone. All of his coursework essays are individual though.

You said you're transferring, right? Where are you studying now, out of interest? :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah, Birmingham's a massive city so there's definitely heaps to do there. It's my boyfriend who's studying IR and he has 6 seminars a week that entail debating, discussions e.t.c. He's also done a few group presentations. I realise that with social science courses, there will be group stuff, discussion e.t.c. but I just generally work better alone. All of his coursework essays are individual though.

You said you're transferring, right? Where are you studying now, out of interest? :smile:

I think you're right regarding that being the case for all social sciences courses, but 6 seminars a week seems a lot for social sciences. I get the impression that Loughborough is fairly similar in that regard although I have nothing to quantify it; perhaps it's the same for all politics courses. I work better alone too ( which is why I asked).

I'm at Royal Holloway at the minute. It's alright- I haven't particularly fitted in and I don't really like the course. It's also frustrating because no one's heard of the place. Like you, I kind of want to go to the best-reputation university I can. Are you a transfer student too- as you've already done a-levels?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 22.22
I think you're right regarding that being the case for all social sciences courses, but 6 seminars a week seems a lot for social sciences. I get the impression that Loughborough is fairly similar in that regard although I have nothing to quantify it; perhaps it's the same for all politics courses. I work better alone too ( which is why I asked).

I'm at Royal Holloway at the minute. It's alright- I haven't particularly fitted in and I don't really like the course. It's also frustrating because no one's heard of the place. Like you, I kind of want to go to the best-reputation university I can. Are you a transfer student too- as you've already done a-levels?

I know, right? That's what's putting me off for Birmingham. It's annoying uni's don't give more information on this kind of stuff (how many seminars, individual-group work ratio e.t.c.). At the moment, I'm probably leaning towards Exeter out of my 4 options.

Ah cool, Royal Holloway was one of my options last year actually. Yeah, I'm at Uni of Nottingham atm studying Management. It's not really my forte, and I've not exactly having a blast with the social life (aka, I don't have one :erm:) so I'm considering starting again at a new uni.
Reply 11
I know, right? That's what's putting me off for Birmingham. It's annoying uni's don't give more information on this kind of stuff (how many seminars, individual-group work ratio e.t.c.). At the moment, I'm probably leaning towards Exeter out of my 4 options.

Ah cool, Royal Holloway was one of my options last year actually. Yeah, I'm at Uni of Nottingham atm studying Management. It's not really my forte, and I've not exactly having a blast with the social life (aka, I don't have one :erm:) so I'm considering starting again at a new uni.

Exeter's a lovely place, I visited last year the only thing that really put me off was that it seemed quite upper-class/conservative/posh... I don't know, I think it's radically different to somewhere like Birmingham, but either way it's a great university.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you in terms of social life. It's good your starting afresh though (i'm living at home next year so i'm taking the easy route out). Anyway, best of luck with your decision and I hope it works well for you next year :smile:
Original post by 22.22
Exeter's a lovely place, I visited last year the only thing that really put me off was that it seemed quite upper-class/conservative/posh... I don't know, I think it's radically different to somewhere like Birmingham, but either way it's a great university.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you in terms of social life. It's good your starting afresh though (i'm living at home next year so i'm taking the easy route out). Anyway, best of luck with your decision and I hope it works well for you next year :smile:

Yeah, the stereotype of it being posh is putting me off a bit. I live in Wales and don't really fancy staying stuck there, otherwise I'd consider living at home! Thanks, you too, I'm sure it'll work out for the both of us eventually!
Choose Birmingham,

Exeter and Birmingham have the strongest reputation out of those four closely followed by Sheffield. I found that I preferred Birmingham to Exeter and Sheffield ( I didn't look at loughborough).

I didn't think the Exeter campus was nice as Birmingham, the Birmingham campus I fell in love with! I loved its beautiful old redbrick buildings, location in the leafy suburbs, modern glass library and own train station on campus... Exeter felt a bit more tired to me but thats just my personal opinion. I also prefered Birmingham as a city, it has a lot more going on being the Uk's second biggest city. Another thing that pulled me towards Birmingham is it has the best graduate employment in the UK so best job prospects after your degree.

But ultimately you've got to choose which ever uni course suits you best :biggrin:

I didn't go to any of the uni's you've mentioned but I did do IR. I can tell you now as a job seeker that when it comes to securing employment post uni, what you have to offer matters more- work experience, soft skills, good CV & cover letter/answers to applications, being able to pass the psychometric/competency tests, as you mention abroad, second language if you want to work for the EU or UN, a postgraduate degree for the UN. For the Civil Service for example, where you went to university is not considered one bit. So choose the uni you feel you'd be happiest at- considering course content, location, facilities e.c.t

You've chosen quite different unis in many regards- Birmingham being a campus uni near a large city, Loughborough a campus uni near a small town, Sheffield a city based uni in a medium city, Exeter near a small city. So consider what kind of environment you want.

Regarding socialness, I think each university has a hall or set of halls which have a reputation for being more sociable. Self catered doesn't necessarily = anti social though. I know a few people who went to Nottingham and stayed in halls and they had a blast of a time with their hall mates, but they were in the catered halls on the main campus (the one that isn't Jubilee). When I was applying to university I discovered that at Birmingham, its the halls on the Vale that had the reputation for being more sociable, didn't seem to matter whether it was catered or self catered. So its worth asking on here if any current students can tell you which are the most sociable halls before you apply.
Original post by jelly1000
I didn't go to any of the uni's you've mentioned but I did do IR. I can tell you now as a job seeker that when it comes to securing employment post uni, what you have to offer matters more- work experience, soft skills, good CV & cover letter/answers to applications, being able to pass the psychometric/competency tests, as you mention abroad, second language if you want to work for the EU or UN, a postgraduate degree for the UN. For the Civil Service for example, where you went to university is not considered one bit. So choose the uni you feel you'd be happiest at- considering course content, location, facilities e.c.t

You've chosen quite different unis in many regards- Birmingham being a campus uni near a large city, Loughborough a campus uni near a small town, Sheffield a city based uni in a medium city, Exeter near a small city. So consider what kind of environment you want.

Regarding socialness, I think each university has a hall or set of halls which have a reputation for being more sociable. Self catered doesn't necessarily = anti social though. I know a few people who went to Nottingham and stayed in halls and they had a blast of a time with their hall mates, but they were in the catered halls on the main campus (the one that isn't Jubilee). When I was applying to university I discovered that at Birmingham, its the halls on the Vale that had the reputation for being more sociable, didn't seem to matter whether it was catered or self catered. So its worth asking on here if any current students can tell you which are the most sociable halls before you apply.

This is super helpful, thank you so much! I have a bad habit of not looking past uni itself because as you noted, in reality, the specifics of where your degree is from is barely even the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, I'm in Nottingham at the moment and my course is taught on Jubilee Campus. As such, I opted for accommodation close to there, which has proven pretty miserable for me in regards to social life. My boyfriend, who's currently at Birmingham, lives in the Vale and I definitely agree with you there. I'll definitely ask for advice regarding halls when I've formulated a clearer idea of which uni/s I'm aiming for.
Reply 16
Original post by katya11en
Choose Birmingham,

Exeter and Birmingham have the strongest reputation out of those four closely followed by Sheffield. I found that I preferred Birmingham to Exeter and Sheffield ( I didn't look at loughborough).

I didn't think the Exeter campus was nice as Birmingham, the Birmingham campus I fell in love with! I loved its beautiful old redbrick buildings, location in the leafy suburbs, modern glass library and own train station on campus... Exeter felt a bit more tired to me but thats just my personal opinion. I also prefered Birmingham as a city, it has a lot more going on being the Uk's second biggest city. Another thing that pulled me towards Birmingham is it has the best graduate employment in the UK so best job prospects after your degree.

But ultimately you've got to choose which ever uni course suits you best :biggrin:

I beg to differ😊

-The campus at Exeter is much nicer, rolling hills,trees, flowers.(Yes, Birm. Has a few nice buildings, the ones you always see in the photos, but the rest are as you say "tired".
-Facilities It must be a long time since you were at Exeter, as there are a lot of facilities which are almost brand new. The new sports facilities must be one of the best in the U.K.
-Exeter is better in all of the rankings (in many of your posts, you push this point, but in this case Exeter is clearly ahead.
-The city is a ten minute walk away, and very, very safe.(no comments about Birm. here, you must read the articles about the danger in Birmingham😊)
-Simply a great place to be with a great social life and short train to the beach.
-Exeter has a higher level of students. Exeter has 74% AAB+ students, compared to only 48% at Birmingham.
-Exeter is a "hot" university. It has one of the highest % increase in applications of any uni in England.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending