The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham or University of Manchester?

I have applied to study Psychology at both universities, and I have had an offer from both. However, I can't decide which is better. Can anyone give me advice? :smile:
Have you looked at the course structure carefully? Even though they're both psychology degrees they are likely to offer different optional modules, particularly in years 2 and 3. Where would you rather live? Does one university offer any extracurricular activities, research/internship opportunities or year abroad options that particularly interest you?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Have you looked at the course structure carefully? Even though they're both psychology degrees they are likely to offer different optional modules, particularly in years 2 and 3. Where would you rather live? Does one university offer any extracurricular activities, research/internship opportunities or year abroad options that particularly interest you?

The course is definitely better at Birmingham, however I would rather live in Manchester where I can stay at home. Is it a good idea to stay at home? Birmingham offers both a year in industry and a year abroad, whereas Manchester only allows for one or the other :frown: I really can't make my mind up!
Original post by 31011991
The course is definitely better at Birmingham, however I would rather live in Manchester where I can stay at home. Is it a good idea to stay at home? Birmingham offers both a year in industry and a year abroad, whereas Manchester only allows for one or the other :frown: I really can't make my mind up!

Hmm, well clearly Birmingham is the better option for you. What are the reasons why you want to stay at home? Unless they are very serious reasons (health related), I would say go to Birmingham.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
Hmm, well clearly Birmingham is the better option for you. What are the reasons why you want to stay at home? Unless they are very serious reasons (health related), I would say go to Birmingham.

I want to stay at home because I would like to save money! I don't like the idea of a 50k debt, and there are some medical reasons why I want to stay at home. But, I don't know whether it's worth giving Birmingham a go?
I want to stay at home because I would like to save money! I don't like the idea of a 50k debt, and there are some medical reasons why I want to stay at home. But, I don't know whether it's worth giving Birmingham a go?

Hmm well that's a decision you really have to make yourself. Personally I don't think money is a good enough reason not to do a course you clearly prefer, not when you're unlikely to repay the full loan anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Hmm well that's a decision you really have to make yourself. Personally I don't think money is a good enough enough reason not to do a course you clearly prefer, not when you're unlikely to repay the full loan anyway.

Thank you very much for your help! What university are you at/ going to? :smile:
Thank you very much for your help! What university are you at/ going to? :smile:

I study with a Norwegian uni atm, hoping to go to UCL next year. :smile:
Choose Birmingham over Manchester in a heart beat!

Firstly both are Russel groups with a strong reputation so neither's a bad choice. But the Birmingham campus is amazing!!! Its in the leafy suburbs, has beautiful and impressive old redbrick buildings and has a train station on campus so you can be in the bustling city center very quickly giving a lovely mix of country and city life.

Academically, Birmingham is better in the league tables than Manchester and in terms of employment after uni, Birmingham has the best uni graduate employment record in the UK, so better chances of getting a graduate standard job straight out of uni.

Social life in Birmingham is amazing, second biggest city in the uk so loads to do!

The course is the most important thing when deciding a uni so honestly pick Birmingham if you prefer the course even if its only slightly.

Also do bare in mid that some people say if you live at home you are less likely to really immerse your self in uni life as you already know the area so well and may well make fewer new friends as you already have friends in the city. I don't know if you think this would be a problem but once again consider it and if you do think it might be I would say go to Birmingham. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
I study with a Norwegian uni atm, hoping to go to UCL next year. :smile:

Oh, cool! Are you studying psychology?
Oh, cool! Are you studying psychology?

Nope.
Reply 11
Original post by katya11en
Choose Birmingham over Manchester in a heart beat!

Firstly both are Russel groups with a strong reputation so neither's a bad choice. But the Birmingham campus is amazing!!! Its in the leafy suburbs, has beautiful and impressive old redbrick buildings and has a train station on campus so you can be in the bustling city center very quickly giving a lovely mix of country and city life.

Academically, Birmingham is better in the league tables than Manchester and in terms of employment after uni, Birmingham has the best uni graduate employment record in the UK, so better chances of getting a graduate standard job straight out of uni.

Social life in Birmingham is amazing, second biggest city in the uk so loads to do!

The course is the most important thing when deciding a uni so honestly pick Birmingham if you prefer the course even if its only slightly.

Also do bare in mid that some people say if you live at home you are less likely to really immerse your self in uni life as you already know the area so well and may well make fewer new friends as you already have friends in the city. I don't know if you think this would be a problem but once again consider it and if you do think it might be I would say go to Birmingham. :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your all of your advice! You have really helped me, and all of these points have really swayed me to choose Birmingham. I have a post-applicant day on Wednesday, but I think I will firm Birmingham. Which university are you at? Are you studying psychology? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest