The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

We DO NOT NEED to eat MEAT

Scroll to see replies

No !!! Get of my bacon :angry:
Original post by Ethereal World

Meat-eaters know they are killing animals in droves and supporting the industry by eating meat- and so they don’t need education on this fact.

I think what should be addresses is areas of hypocrisy e.g.:

- People eating free range or grass fed meat because they ‘care’ about animal life. If you care, don’t eat the animal. Irrelevant of it’s life, it’s ending up in the slaughter house.
- Ethical vegetarians- if you care enough about animals not to eat their meat you shouldn’t really be indirectly causing death and suffering by supporting the dairy industry.
- People who care about the environment- If you care about climate change and sustainable use of the planet then eating meat is potentially one of the worst choices you can make (due to inefficiency of livestock in terms of land area and the emissions that the meat industry causes)

The other key area of education is about the benefits of eating vegan and just putting the word out there about that rather than attacking the negatives of eating meat. For example the personal health benefits I have experienced since transitioning to a vegan diet:

- Shinier and stronger hair
- Clearer and softer skin
- Brighter eyes
- More energy
- Weight loss
- Improved body composition
- Better digestion
- Less brain fog
- More mental clarity and stability
- Stronger immune system (haven’t been properly ill since)

The above will change people’s minds or give them an incentive to try. Not militant vegans making being arrogant and superior and making comparisons that just simply do not resonate with people.

A few things that need to be addressed here.

Your areas of hypocrisy:

People eating free range animals that end up in a slaughterhouse anyway. Now say we completely abandoned eating meat, we would have to slaughter the vast majority of domestic herds, best case scenario they would take up resources needed for our own food or would do what deer do in the UK at the moment which is desolate large swaths of natural habitats being a huge impediment to conservation efforts. Even if we did this, animals don't as a rule die peacefully in nature (no passing peacefully in your sleep), exposure, starving or maulling is generally the order of the day. Atleast with a slaughterhouse you can try and ensure the death is quick and painless and are you really going to say that a pig would not be better off growing in fields and outside than in a battery farm shed?

The Ethical Vegetarians, right I'm assuming you've made a distinction of vegetarians and ethical vegetarians and I'm assuming that distinction is the ethical ones responsibly source their dairy, meaning they have already taken measures to get their dairy from sources that don't kill their animals or treat them inhumanely in which case what is your problem, they're already doing what you want.

The Environmentalists, this is the one that grates me. There are bigger problems facing the environment than farming animals. Additionally there are numerous calls from people that eat meat for sustainable practises but you will alienate them by calling them hypocrites even though you want some of the same things.

The benefits of a vegan diet:

Now we'll grant these descriptions as being accurate. You attribute it to the innate health benefits of going vegan. I'd attribute them to the fact that as vegan diets are so restrictive you most likely had to do a fair amount of research to discover how to get all the nutrients you need (especially ones that would normally be found in meat and dairy) and be fairly strict about keeping to that diet. In other words you did a whole bunch of research and kept at a healthy balanced diet, funnily enough all dietary research says just doing that, will also get those exact benefits you've described even if you're eating meat and dairy.
Original post by DiddyDec
Funniest thing I have read all week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hat2:
Original post by Gwilym101
A few things that need to be addressed here.

Your areas of hypocrisy:

People eating free range animals that end up in a slaughterhouse anyway. Now say we completely abandoned eating meat, we would have to slaughter the vast majority of domestic herds, best case scenario they would take up resources needed for our own food or would do what deer do in the UK at the moment which is desolate large swaths of natural habitats being a huge impediment to conservation efforts. Even if we did this, animals don't as a rule die peacefully in nature (no passing peacefully in your sleep), exposure, starving or maulling is generally the order of the day. Atleast with a slaughterhouse you can try and ensure the death is quick and painless and are you really going to say that a pig would not be better off growing in fields and outside than in a battery farm shed?

The Ethical Vegetarians, right I'm assuming you've made a distinction of vegetarians and ethical vegetarians and I'm assuming that distinction is the ethical ones responsibly source their dairy, meaning they have already taken measures to get their dairy from sources that don't kill their animals or treat them inhumanely in which case what is your problem, they're already doing what you want.

The Environmentalists, this is the one that grates me. There are bigger problems facing the environment than farming animals. Additionally there are numerous calls from people that eat meat for sustainable practises but you will alienate them by calling them hypocrites even though you want some of the same things.

The benefits of a vegan diet:

Now we'll grant these descriptions as being accurate. You attribute it to the innate health benefits of going vegan. I'd attribute them to the fact that as vegan diets are so restrictive you most likely had to do a fair amount of research to discover how to get all the nutrients you need (especially ones that would normally be found in meat and dairy) and be fairly strict about keeping to that diet. In other words you did a whole bunch of research and kept at a healthy balanced diet, funnily enough all dietary research says just doing that, will also get those exact benefits you've described even if you're eating meat and dairy.

It's just my opinion. I respect your counter points. Thanks for your time.

I would also look into the environmental damage caused by farming animals and the meat industry if you haven't done so already.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RomanKing
Hi, I'm chegan. (Vegan who cheats sometimes due to social circumstances. E.g. birthday cake etc. )

Have been for 2.5 years.

Long story short, I ate disgusting mince beef and spaghetti last night (Don't ask why/ how) and can't get it out of my mind. I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me and thinking about cancer. This is because It's not like me to and I don't eat that disgusting piece of sh**.

Anyway, thoughts on this? Tell me this mince beef won't trigger some sort of illness all of a sudden or I won't be able to reach 100 years of age now and only 98 years of age. ? ?

I've tried to detox today drinking green tea.

OMG chegan that's amazing.
I will decide if I want to eat meat or not - thanks :smile:

Spoiler

It's okay OP, I know your struggle. The other day I caught my 'friend' eating away at a chicken drumstick, like a peasant. I calmly explained to him that eating animals was morally corrupt, but he didn't want to hear it.

At the end of the day, you just gotta accept that not everyone can be as morally supreme as us vegans.
Yes YOU DO NEED to eat meat

obviously SOMEONE around here hasn't had chicken biryani! :eviltongue:

lol
Original post by SophieSmall
I certainly want to.

But it's hard to stop...isn't it? :colone:
Carnivorous animals need to eat meat to survive. Humans don't. Animals can't reason or actually think about the ethical implications of what they're doing. Humans can (but apparantly choose to ignore it).

Vegetarianism is not in any way radical and will not make you protein deficient. It irks me so much when meat eaters start accusing vegans of being pushy and controlling when they're actually being MORE pushy and controlling themselves.

This is a discussion about meat and veganism and stuff so obviously there's going to be veggies here talking about their beliefs - no one is trying to force you to do anything.
Original post by DiddyDec
I don't even degree. I'm not your bro, buddy.

And I ain't your buddy, bro.
Original post by Foo.mp3
I've tried all the feasible alternatives I'm aware of, but welcome further suggestions :smile:

You obviously haven't eaten farmed insects. For the same price, you get more proteins.
This is new news?
Original post by huddledapple
Carnivorous animals need to eat meat to survive. Humans don't. Animals can't reason or actually think about the ethical implications of what they're doing. Humans can (but apparantly choose to ignore it).

Vegetarianism is not in any way radical and will not make you protein deficient. It irks me so much when meat eaters start accusing vegans of being pushy and controlling when they're actually being MORE pushy and controlling themselves.

This is a discussion about meat and veganism and stuff so obviously there's going to be veggies here talking about their beliefs - no one is trying to force you to do anything.

Sucks I can't +1 this more than once
Original post by RickmanAlways

We dont. Need to eat. MEAT.

No, we dont need meat. Biology says so.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Insects are animals famalam

Fair point, just eat those without a central nervous system.
McDonalds is literally the only reason why I'm not a vegetarian right now
So what if we don't need to eat meat, I like to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know the degree doesn't make the scientist but I was pointing out that I understand what science is, as I do pseudo-science as well. In fact that's one of my areas of contention :yep: especially when it comes to adoption of GM technology :facepalm2: as I've discussed on my TSR blog :yep:

It is important to be careful of other people's stupidity yes but there comes a point where you can't continuously be accounting for it otherwise you would never say anything intelligent ever.

Book sounds interesting. I know a lot about metabolic rates not least because of the Biological Sciences degree but also because I have a thyroid condition- so I also know just how much your metabolism affects your weight and body composition. Synthetic hyperthyroidism is the bane of my life :frown: but its > hypothyroidism so I'll take it.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Hitler was vegetarian.

Ah. Seems his good and grounded vegi morals ended up a little bit astray
Would you like me to link you the blog posts here or on your VMs?

Latest

Trending

Trending