Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SMer
GCSE: 2 A*, 4A's and 6B's
AS: A(93 UMS)A(100)B(78) and B(73)
Predicted: A*AA
Sort of expected it but still would've loved to have gone to Durham.

Wow, I'm really sorry those grades are amazing.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2161
Original post by eleanorelodie
I have very very similar grades to you!! I'm definitely expecting it now. Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

York, Lancaster, Sheffield and Newcastle. All have given me offers so I'm deciding between York (AAA) and an unconditional from Lancaster. I hope you hear soon, and I hope it's good news!:smile:
Reply 2162
Original post by lukmanmiah
Wow, I'm really sorry those grades are amazing.

Thanks ha, bit demoralising to be rejected. Have you given any more thought as to what your decision will be?
Original post by SMer
York, Lancaster, Sheffield and Newcastle. All have given me offers so I'm deciding between York (AAA) and an unconditional from Lancaster. I hope you hear soon, and I hope it's good news!:smile:

Thank you but it if isn't, it's definitely not the end of the world! Ooo congrats! I have offers from York and Newcastle too and probably will firm York (if I don't get an offer) so I might see you there! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i don't want this to come accross as obnoxious or as the result of some self inflated ego because it really isn't , I'm not the kind of kid to expect stuff, but so far i have no uni offers from where id ever want to go (this is to study history). Durham was never like a massive dream of mine but i have always really liked the idea of possibly going there and i just got rejected and I'm still waiting to hear back from my last uni choice UCL. i understand there is more to it than just grades, and I'm sure my personal statement is quite commonplace. but i was just wondering if there are any other people who have applied for subjects with linear a levels (as in ones taken over 2 years) and have found that in any way more difficult, or that universities were more weary to them. I do Pre-U History so have all my exams at the end of this year, while the rest of my a levels are divided into the more typical AS and A2. i got 9 A* and 3 A's at GCSE and 3 A's at AS level in psychology, chemistry and economics and then i have my Pre-U history, i dropped chemistry and continued with history psychology and economics and i am predicted 3 A*. i promise this isn't some cry for attention or a fish for compliments, i just wanted some common reassurance that other people have this 2 year A level thing and they still got offers from the unis they wanted to go to, as i know Durham is extremely competitive and congrats to all those with offers. but if i wasn't to get an offer from Ucl than for me there is no point in getting into all that debt. so do you think it would just be best to apply next year with my actual grade in history rather than just having the last kinda reference or checkpoint in the subject all the way back at GCSE.
Original post by SMer
Thanks ha, bit demoralising to be rejected. Have you given any more thought as to what your decision will be?

Probably UCL but want to visit Durham. I actually feel bad I hope you don't feel too demoralised.
Original post by yvchan
Hey guys, I received my offer on the 23rd of February (for law) and was supposed to get my allocation within two weeks, but I have yet to receive one. should I be worried about this?:frown:

Check your junk folder and go back through your emails, I got my allocation within 3 days. If you still can't find it give them a ring
got rejected for English lit today :frown: pretty devastated tbh
Reply 2168
Probably UCL but want to visit Durham. I actually feel bad I hope you don't feel too demoralised.

Another prestigious uni! You shouldn't feel bad! I have ice cream and chocolate. It'll be fine, all things considered it isn't the end of the world. Need to concentrate on choosing between my others now.
Original post by SMer
Another prestigious uni! You shouldn't feel bad! I have ice cream and chocolate. It'll be fine, all things considered it isn't the end of the world. Need to concentrate on choosing between my others now.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck.
Genuinely tired of waiting now. If I didn't need 2 choices for the sake of a safety net, I think I'd probably have just firmed and withdrawn from my remaining choices by now. The drawn out wait is really getting upsetting.
Reply 2171
Hope you feel better soon and good luck.

Best of luck to you too! Let me know where you end up!:smile:
Original post by annonymous1760
me too , where else have you applied

I applied to Glasgow, Leeds, Queens Belfast and Birmingham.
I've just firmed Birmingham, its an unconditional so i'm so lucky I had that to go back to, just a bit gutting to know i wasn't good enough for Durham
Original post by Lizziec02
I applied to Glasgow, Leeds, Queens Belfast and Birmingham.
I've just firmed Birmingham, its an unconditional so i'm so lucky I had that to go back to, just a bit gutting to know i wasn't good enough for Durham

Birminghams a great uni, a lot of my really good friends have firmed that too, so hope you don't view it as second best ,sounds cliche but sometimes the best things for us are not also what we planned or expected. I'm certain you'll love it as you would for any of those other unis. reputation sure is a factor but in the scale of things, a good degree from any those universities is a huge accomplishment and simply the place it was attained is unlikely to change a potential employers opinion of you by any real significance. whats important is you study what you love and enjoy yourself there, its you that gets the degree and makes your time at uni good or bad, the scenery or lecturer,no matter how beautiful or intelligent is a never going to be more important than that. don't think of yourself as not good enough, despite what the application process may feel like or appear to be, it is never going to be an objective measure of peoples worth or intelligence. its people who read your applications not machines, each person with different preferences and weightings. in this year, that admission team decided not to offer you a place, but you were able to apply and met those requirements, those entry requirements were the point at which any objective measure ended, so you are good enough for durham and you shouldn't rob yourself of those accomplishments that got you into the positions where you could apply. (sorry if this seems like a bit of an over the top reply) best of luck :smile:
Original post by annonymous1760
Birminghams a great uni, a lot of my really good friends have firmed that too, so hope you don't view it as second best ,sounds cliche but sometimes the best things for us are not also what we planned or expected. I'm certain you'll love it as you would for any of those other unis. reputation sure is a factor but in the scale of things, a good degree from any those universities is a huge accomplishment and simply the place it was attained is unlikely to change a potential employers opinion of you by any real significance. whats important is you study what you love and enjoy yourself there, its you that gets the degree and makes your time at uni good or bad, the scenery or lecturer,no matter how beautiful or intelligent is a never going to be more important than that. don't think of yourself as not good enough, despite what the application process may feel like or appear to be, it is never going to be an objective measure of peoples worth or intelligence. its people who read your applications not machines, each person with different preferences and weightings. in this year, that admission team decided not to offer you a place, but you were able to apply and met those requirements, those entry requirements were the point at which any objective measure ended, so you are good enough for durham and you shouldn't rob yourself of those accomplishments that got you into the positions where you could apply. (sorry if this seems like a bit of an over the top reply) best of luck :smile:

Thank you, that's actually made my day reading your reply :smile: I know I've got to keep going and forget, as long as i'm studying what I love then that's what counts! I wish you luck to, did you get an offer?
Original post by Lizziec02
Thank you, that's actually made my day reading your reply :smile: I know I've got to keep going and forget, as long as i'm studying what I love then that's what counts! I wish you luck to, did you get an offer?

aww aha im glad it did thank you and no i didn't either
Original post by bsmart96
Check your junk folder and go back through your emails, I got my allocation within 3 days. If you still can't find it give them a ring

Thanks for the advice! I checked all my emails and there was no sign of any college allocation :s-smilie:The thing is, when I signed up for the post offer holders day, my accommodation is at St Johns?? Mildly confused but I think I'll call them later :confused:
Reply 2177
Original post by eleanorelodie
Congrats!!! Do you mind me asking what your AS grades are???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cheers 😁 and AAB so fairly average but I've already done my a levels and had a year out so was AAB overall as well. Are you applying for this course? Good luck!
Any body doing philosophy on its own?? Im still waiting for my reply :/
Reply 2179
Original post by yvchan
Thanks for the advice! I checked all my emails and there was no sign of any college allocation :s-smilie:The thing is, when I signed up for the post offer holders day, my accommodation is at St Johns?? Mildly confused but I think I'll call them later :confused:

That means that you have been allocated to St John's. Hope you're ok with that. Everyone ends up loving their college within the first weeks there, even when they have had their heart set elsewhere and have been reallocated.

Quick Reply

Latest