The Student Room Group
gcse subjects aren't really important, the key is what grades you get in your subjcects
Hey! I'm doing my GCSEs and also want to be a barrister. GCSEs aren't that important when deciding a future career but they do help in building up skills that you'll need. Obviously for law, you must be able to debate and analyse and therefore, History would be a good option. I also take Business and Economic because those also have skills about the world and economy which are interesting and somewhat useful.
But really, choose subjects you think you'll enjoy and just make sure you get the best possible grades,
I second Mayhems advice. GCSE subjects aren't important just the grades you get in them. However, look at some university courses. To see what a levels you need to take. If you need to take history at a level but haven't done it at GCSE you won't be allowed to take it at a level.
Original post by Jiminy Cricket
I second Mayhems advice. GCSE subjects aren't important just the grades you get in them. However, look at some university courses. To see what a levels you need to take. If you need to take history at a level but haven't done it at GCSE you won't be allowed to take it at a level.

Depends on the sixth-form/college really.
History, Geography, German.

Some people may disagree, but I would definitely say don't pick the 'softer' subjects such as childcare, food tech, media studies etc as you'd be best off picking GCSEs that you'd like to do at A-level.
Reply 6
Original post by hxfsxh
Hey! I'm doing my GCSEs and also want to be a barrister. GCSEs aren't that important when deciding a future career but they do help in building up skills that you'll need. Obviously for law, you must be able to debate and analyse and therefore, History would be a good option. I also take Business and Economic because those also have skills about the world and economy which are interesting and somewhat useful.
But really, choose subjects you think you'll enjoy and just make sure you get the best possible grades,

Hi,
Yeah I was thinking of history so at least now I know it will be a good choice.
Reply 7
Original post by TelAviv
History, Geography, German.

Some people may disagree, but I would definitely say don't pick the 'softer' subjects such as childcare, food tech, media studies etc as you'd be best off picking GCSEs that you'd like to do at A-level.

Thanks
I would like to know that too.
I agree with what has been previously said about not worrying too much at the moment . Choosing which A levels you are going to do is a bigger choice. I also agree though on choosing i suppose more academic subjects like history , geography and german . I took those subjects and even though i am not pursing german it has been a requirement for some university courses to have a language grade so it is really good to have . I loved history as a subject as well .

Hope this helps !
Good luck !
Original post by swimmer12345
I would like to know that too.

Original post by Madzjade2000
I agree with what has been previously said about not worrying too much at the moment . Choosing which A levels you are going to do is a bigger choice. I also agree though on choosing i suppose more academic subjects like history , geography and german . I took those subjects and even though i am not pursing german it has been a requirement for some university courses to have a language grade so it is really good to have . I loved history as a subject as well .

Hope this helps !
Good luck !

edit: this thread is 4 years old, please do not bump old threads.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest