The Student Room Group

A in AS maths.

So I thought that keeping a thread like this might somehow add a layer of discipline into my - truthfully - filled with procrastination existence and perhaps help me reach my target of an A in AS maths. Hopefully, also reassuring me a bit more about my chance of getting accepted into a med school.

Not going to say too much about myself, but in general, I'm a relatively good student that has never really focused much in class.

GCSE grades: 1A*, 6A's, 4B's.

In GCSE Maths, I have received a B. My plan for this year is to solely focus on mathematics until the end of my last exam that will take place somewhere around mid June I believe, and then, to catch up on the biology and chemistry AS that I didn't really concentrate on, to finally, end up studying harder than I am when I see Jessica Alba towards the mighty UKCATs. I'm planning on taking them on like a man at around August-September time, so then in October, I have a pretty good application for the less ambitious in their will to develop House MD's med schools - and with some voluntary work, experience and a couple of medical certificates to back up my omnibenevolent approach to future patients and their animals, I hope to fulfill the goals of such unis.

Anyway, I have designed a list of chapters of each of the exams that I need to study on and so far, it looks like this:

Exam Board: edexcel

My plan for studying (maths) is as follows:

revise the hell out of each topic in the textbook by copying and making sense out of the examples

finish all the past papers and 'end of section' sets of questions in from the textbook

use websites to find new questions and solve them if an issue with one of the topic arises

destroy all past exam papers

+a bunch of stuff that I sometimes will use for revision:

Spoiler

I am open to any suggestions on the way I should study, what resources to use and sometimes the mistakes that I make with solving problems (not necessarily mathematical : )).

Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by frostyy

What exam board are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by zetamcfc
What exam board are you doing?

edexcel

so yesterday I finished equations and quadratic functions. today I want to complete inequalities and get some way through simultaneous equations (the topic's huge)
Original post by frostyy
edexcel

so yesterday I finished equations and quadratic functions. today I want to complete inequalities and get some way through simultaneous equations (the topic's huge)

Ah ok, good luck :biggrin:
Reply 5
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths/past-paper-questions-by-topic/
This website is really good for practicing maths! It has past paper questions by topic that you can work on once you finish a chapter. Really helped me improve. :smile:
Original post by idkman
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths/past-paper-questions-by-topic/
This website is really good for practicing maths! It has past paper questions by topic that you can work on once you finish a chapter. Really helped me improve. :smile:

^^^ I went from a C in AS Maths mock to 90+UMS in the summer exams by just questions by topic and then moving on to past papers
Reply 7
update: finished inequalities, half way through simultaneous equations and I plan to finish them today.
Reply 8
So I decided to reinvent my approach to studying and instead of learning from solved examples, I will learn from unsolved questions by attempting them myself, only flipping a page to the worked solutions whenever my brain's capacity reaches an overload. I'm answering questions on topics 1-5 today:

-actually i just checked no im naht, left textbook in locker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending