The Student Room Group

Road to success

I was planning on writing this thread a long time ago... But I ended up procrastinating.

procrastinating. procrastinating. procrastinating

Right now, I feel that procrastination is holding me back.
In my thread I will be posting my daily routine of things i will be doing to achieve my dream grades, what i do everyday and what I think I should do differently.

Il post my predicted grades from my mocks later...
JK Here they are.
NOTE: These are my predicted grades from the mock which we had done months ago.
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Computing - A*
Latin - A*
Extended Project Qualification - A*
Citizenship - A
Geography - A
French - B
Greek Entry Level - Level 3

I know that my predicted grades are high but i'm not lying. They are what they are and this simply means that I will need to work especially hard to achieve the grades which I want.

I will try to do my best to keep up the thread as updated aswell and feel free to give me any suggestions on what I should do to stop procrastination XD.

Maybe this... whole thing i'm doing now is simply a way of me procrastinating by avoiding doing my coursework.

I hope this thread can help anyone if they want to manifest change in their life.

Im aiming to get all A* in my GCSE subjects except french. Seriously, I can't take that subject seriously.

I will be starting on posting information tomorrow along with a little plan!
Good luck! Also trying to beat procrastination, doing A-levels though. :smile:
These predicted grades are sooo good! :smile: I am doing Latin GCSE as well (OCR) and I am finding it quite tricky at the moment (especially the literature part...). What method(s) do you use to revise? Do you write language notes for your literature pieces and then learn them by heart? Thanks :biggrin:
Aaaah I feel your pain with french! I was all set to get an A* last year but then got defeated by the reading and listening exams. Turns out, whoever wrote the exam papers last year couldn't differentiate between gcse and A-level vocabulary! I was so annoyed because i'd learnt all of the vocab but still couldn't understand a word of the last few questions of the papers.
Anyway, best of luck! :smile:
Thanks!
I started my latin course during the end of year 10 and so we haven't covered the entire course. I would definitely say that getting the long pieces of text into smaller pieces and then memorizing them helps.
Untitled-2.jpg
Tuesday 16 February 2016
There is 75 days until the exam and I have done barely any revision compared to how much I want to do.
I have been going to half term school for maths to secure my A* in maths. I think that half term school really does help and I can see a big improvement in my studies. I would strongly recommend people to do work outside general school curriculum.
I think that during half term school is especially useful as there aren't a lot of pupils so you get more focus. I get direct help with any questions 1 on 1 with my teacher if i'm stuck on a problem.

I was given many past-papers and revision guides for subjects such as computing. Since i've practically finished my coursework, i'm focusing more on the theory part. For the mock, I was 4 marks off full marks. I got a question about denary to binary translation wrong because i converted the wrong number. Haha!. Therefore, I haven't put so much of my time into computing. I think that i will achieve my grade of A* without as much work in as other subjects.

I have been attending after school physics lessons to refresh my memory on P1 and P2 because we are studying P3 in class. I recommend anyone doing triple certificate to spend their time outside school refreshing their memory on unit 1 and 2 because it is likely that you will indeed forget the information.

Most people start their revision during mid march, so i do feel confident that I have enough time to revise thoroughly. I have made revision timetable using GetRevising. *check attached file*. This allow me to spread out my time throughout the 1 week holiday and spend time revising according to how much work i need to put in. I will be utilising my time table to revise and i will update more on what happens when I feel that it is right for me to do so. I think that revision time table is a very effective way of learning because it integrates discipline and guidance which is needed to perfect something.

Before I leave, here is a word of advice to ME and anyone who is struggling to revise.
You need to make something a routine to be successful at it.
If !(work hard consistently) then fail
else fail
//unless you work hard constantly, you will fail either way.
I'd like to dedicate this post to comment on how amazingly amazing the title picture looks. +1 photoshop skill kappa
25th february 2016

Its been about a week since the last update. Apologies for delay. Hey, it could be a good thing. We are doing our mocks and i have actually managed to do some revision.
I would dearly recommend everyone who has GCSE upcoming to do the grow my grade plan. I think that this scheme allows us to evaluate what we have done so far and what we need to do better. With this i have realized my weak points and i have corrected then. My mocks are not over yet but i have my grade for biology unit 2 which is 46/60 A*. Hopefully I can duplicate that in the real exams and same for other exams. I thought that my mocks were alright but i'm scared about latin because our teacher said we need to get atleast 60% to be entered for higher!!! Other than that, the mocks weren't too crazy apart from english. I kinda ran out of time. Weird how i didn't ran out of time in computing :biggrin:
Original post by BadgerNeer1
I'd like to dedicate this post to comment on how amazingly amazing the title picture looks. +1 photoshop skill kappa

Woah! Consider it appreciated. Good luck with your mocks! We had ours in January so it's odd for me with everyone doing their mocks now.
I think everyone keeps writing until the last second in English. You're not alone! :smile:
Here are my results from mocks so far:
I will update them as I have been told what I achieved
Biology unit 3: 44/60 - A*3
Chemistry unit 3: 44/60 - A*1
Physics unit 3: x
English Language: x
English Literature: x
Maths: x
Statistics: x
Computing: 75/80 - A*1
Latin language: x
Latin Literature: x
Citizenship: x
French: A* reading, A listening

I think I have done well for revising in such a short amount of time. I think i could have definately done a lot better in latin and english if i had more time to prepare. But this is the point of mocks right? to enable us
to find what we are lacking and improve it.
For now, I will await my results and make response to my studies after that.

I have a latin literature exam on friday which will be a deciding factor to whether or not we will be sitting higher paper. I will be utilising quizlet.com to memorize sections of the prose stories. I recommend anyone who is doing latin to do the same as it is very effective.
I'm doing Bravery and strategy in battle, caesar at the heart of battle against the Belgae, inspiration for the fight and marital conflict. If anyone wants to compare notes or give advice on what kind of questions they will probably ask, please feel free to message me through private message or as a response to this thread.

Hope ur mocks went well guys! Thanks for checking out my story and commenting so far, i really appreciate your time to read my story of hardships and achievements.

X

Congrats on your mock results! I hope you get what you wanted for the rest! :smile:
!!! Update time !!!
I received my speak and listening grade for english.
I got 28/30 which is apparently an A*.
It hasn't been moderated though so i'm afraid it will change. Hopefully it stays the same or gets higher.

I have made some revision material for latin, prose literature. Tacticus, marital conflicts and cicero. If anyone wants them,
I will private message it to them!

With couseworks for subjects due in next week/ week after, i need to start concentrating on finishing my coursework.
I need to work on:
- Statistics
- Citizenship
- Computing
!!! Update time !!!
I received my speak and listening grade for english.
I got 28/30 which is apparently an A*.
It hasn't been moderated though so i'm afraid it will change. Hopefully it stays the same or gets higher.

I have made some revision material for latin, prose literature. Tacticus, marital conflicts and cicero. If anyone wants them,
I will private message it to them!

With couseworks for subjects due in next week/ week after, i need to start concentrating on finishing my coursework.
I need to work on:
- Statistics
- Citizenship
- Computing

Yay congrats!! A*s are great!!! Fingers crossed for you that the moderators don't change it but I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:

Coursework = fun times. I only have one left but good luck to you! You can finish these last few pieces. :tongue:
Haha! lucky you I still have much to do for coursework.
Just bought some CGP books:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Statistics
-Maths
I got the english one and french before and they look really good!
I recommend checking them out.
Good luck to you with your exams aswell.
I haven't started my hardcore revision yet :3 but it will start once my books arrive.
24/7 revision NEET life :smile:.
We've got about roughly 50 days i think so this should be be a perfect time to start my revision.
Haha! lucky you I still have much to do for coursework.
Just bought some CGP books:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Statistics
-Maths
I got the english one and french before and they look really good!
I recommend checking them out.
Good luck to you with your exams aswell.
I haven't started my hardcore revision yet :3 but it will start once my books arrive.
24/7 revision NEET life :smile:.
We've got about roughly 50 days i think so this should be be a perfect time to start my revision.

:smile: I know I'm so lucky but I still have controlled assessments in french (do they count as coursework???)
CGP books are awesome. I have the three science ones and they're great except they don't cover my exam board..:frown: Still good though. Their poetry ones are really good for English.
64 days until 16th May (my first exam!). So if you're the same, you have 14 days more!!! :smile:
Sorry guys, ive decided to drop out of "grow your grades". I feel that planning things our causes me to procrastinate even more.
I will just do actions to meet my goals. Additionally, I will be posting my overall grades once we get out results.
Thanks to everyone who was keeping up with my thread. Shout out to @Ara8311a
Make sure u guys dont quit like me haha. the only thing that counts is the overall grades
Sorry guys, ive decided to drop out of "grow your grades". I feel that planning things our causes me to procrastinate even more.
I will just do actions to meet my goals. Additionally, I will be posting my overall grades once we get out results.
Thanks to everyone who was keeping up with my thread. Shout out to @Ara8311a
Make sure u guys dont quit like me haha. the only thing that counts is the overall grades

Hey! (I got a shout out!!!! :biggrin:) Aw no.. I understand why though but make sure you do update your final results! Exactly, the envelope at the end is what matters and it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get there your way.
I'm the same with the planning but for the last few days I haven't been planning and I've done nothing! Procrastination is at its peak!!! :smile:
I'll see you around on TSR. I'm still doing grow your grades so maybe I'll see you there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending