The Student Room Group

Is Israel or ISIS a greater threat to world peace?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 098udf89dsf
Source?
USA Europe, regardless.Most countries in the world conduct missile tests.
So?

Turns out what I believed was false, but look how close on the map it is to another country, my gut feeling tells me that they're targeting other territories http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17698438

No but if the USA are unhappy with North Korea, the EU and UK will most likely side with the USA, so we'd be targets as well.

Kim Jong-Un is a maniac, he's starving and killing whoever he wants, cares little about human rights and is hacking networks in the west, how is that not worrying about the prospect of having a missed too
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Turns out what I believed was false

How predictable...

No but if the USA are unhappy with North Korea, the EU and UK will most likely side with the USA, so we'd be targets as well.

Mere unsubstantiated speculation holds no sway in the court of public opinion.

Kim Jong-Un is a maniac, he's starving and killing whoever he wants, cares little about human rights and is hacking networks in the west, how is that not worrying about the prospect of having a missed too

He is a terrible dictator, yes, but how does that make North Korea "the biggest threat to world peace by far"? :confused:
How predictable...

Mere unsubstantiated speculation holds no sway in the court of public opinion.

He is a terrible dictator, yes, but how does that make North Korea "the biggest threat to world peace by far"? :confused:

You don't need Sherlock to work out that the UK and EU will almost always stand by the USA.

Israel? Only active in Palestine
Terrorism? Will not be a thing in a few years time, I severely doubt that it would spread outside the Middle East and sections of Africa + Asia
USA? Whether they are a threat is severely dependant on whether Mr Trump gets elected
You don't need Sherlock to work out that the UK and EU will almost always stand by the USA.

Did the UK "stand by" the USA during the Vietnam War?

Israel? Only active in Palestine
Terrorism? Will not be a thing in a few years time, I severely doubt that it would spread outside the Middle East and sections of Africa + Asia
USA? Whether they are a threat is severely dependant on whether Mr Trump gets elected
None of this substantiates your assertion that North Korea are "the biggest threat to world peace by far".
I think the biggest danger with North Korea is if they start to believe their own propaganda and resume the war with the South, which obviously leads to the USA getting involved on China's doorstep.

A maniac with nukes is certainly a far greater threat than a bunch of religious crackpots largely confined the the Middle-East or a democratic state, which Israel is for all it's faults.
Original post by JamesN88
I think the biggest danger with North Korea is if they start to believe their own propaganda and resume the war with the South, which obviously leads to the USA getting involved on China's doorstep.

A maniac with nukes is certainly a far greater threat than a bunch of religious crackpots largely confined the the Middle-East or a democratic state, which Israel is for all it's faults.

They are not capable of delivering their nuclear "weapons" via missiles (despite their claims yesterday that they have managed to miniaturise their nuclear warheads - even if this is true, which it almost certainly isn't, it shows they are still not able to deliver a conventional nuclear strike).

If NK attack South Korea no one will support them. South Korea have a far superior military, and North Korea don't have any reliable missiles that could target Europe/USA. Just yesterday even Russia told NK that they are creating justification under international law for a pre-emptive attack against NK with their rhetoric (threatening nuclear strikes against the USA), and a few days prior China agreed to more stringent sanctions on NK.

NK are only really a threat to SK, and could do some serious damage with their Scud-based short-range missiles, and maybe a nuclear 'dirty bomb'. But they shouldn't be seen as this grave threat to world peace that could destroy the world whenever they decide they wish to do so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Did the UK "stand by" the USA during the Vietnam War?

None of this substantiates your assertion that North Korea are "the biggest threat to world peace by far".

Hence I said "almost always"

The point is that North Korea are a lot more likely than an average country to invade elsewhere(take out the Middle East of the equation). Israel are very unlikely to start on Western Europe, the USA are unlikely to invade another country at this team as well as the UK and EU. Terrorism is alone unsettling the Middle East and sections of Africa- can I see it spreading elsewhere? No.

The point is that North Korea are a lot more likely than an average country to invade elsewhere(take out the Middle East of the equation).
I do not agree. What evidence do you have to support this assertion? Their empty rhetoric doesn't count.

The only country they could ever feasibly invade is South Korea, and they know that doing this would lead to their downfall, which is the one thing even Supreme Kimmy won't risk.
They are not capable of delivering their nuclear "weapons" via missiles (despite their claims yesterday that they have managed to miniaturise their nuclear warheads - even if this is true, which it almost certainly isn't, it shows they are still not able to deliver a conventional nuclear strike).

If NK attack South Korea no one will support them. South Korea have a far superior military, and North Korea don't have any reliable missiles that could target Europe/USA. Just yesterday even Russia told NK that they are creating justification under international law for a pre-emptive attack against NK with their rhetoric (threatening nuclear strikes against the USA), and a few days prior China agreed to more stringent sanctions on NK.

NK are only really a threat to SK, and could do some serious damage with their Scud-based short-range missiles, and maybe a nuclear 'dirty bomb'. But they shouldn't be seen as this grave threat to world peace that could destroy the world whenever they decide they wish to do so.

While they are obviously exaggerating their capabilities their repeated rocket launches and nuclear tests show that they aren't to be taken lightly, only they themselves really know what they are due to the secretive nature of the country.

Aside from the direct threat they pose, if a terrorist organisation was going to get nuclear material from anywhere I'd wager that North Korea would be the most likely. All the other nuclear armed countries are led by sane people.
I do not agree. What evidence do you have to support this assertion? Their empty rhetoric doesn't count.

The only country they could ever feasibly invade is South Korea, and they know that doing this would lead to their downfall, which is the one thing even Supreme Kimmy won't risk.

It's a genuine gut feeling, we have no idea where these missiles can get to, we don't know their intentions, all we can be certain about is the fact that they have a maniac in change

Well yes in the short term, but if we don't do something now they'll catch us sleeping, just like ISIS did with the Paris attacks
Original post by JamesN88
While they are obviously exaggerating their capabilities their repeated rocket launches and nuclear tests show that they aren't to be taken lightly, only they themselves really know what they are due to the secretive nature of the country.

Many countries routinely conduct missile tests.

Their missiles do not allow them to realistically reach beyond South Korea, and even SK is heavily protected by US air-defences.

Aside from the direct threat they pose, if a terrorist organisation was going to get nuclear material from anywhere I'd wager that North Korea would be the most likely. All the other nuclear armed countries are led by sane people.

This is complete nonsense. Pakistan are clearly the least stable country to possess nukes, and any proliferation of nuclear weapons into terrorist hands will most likely emanate from Pakistan.
Reply 111
World peace exists?
It's a genuine gut feeling, we have no idea where these missiles can get to, we don't know their intentions, all we can be certain about is the fact that they have a maniac in change

Well yes in the short term, but if we don't do something now they'll catch us sleeping, just like ISIS did with the Paris attacks

You have no real argument.

Not worth my time.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
They are gradually losing territory, but I think it's a bit early to say they won't be a long term threat. There is a good chance that if they lose control of their strongholds that they'll revert back to an insurgency, with massacres and hit and run attacks taking place. A bit like the Taliban, who went back to insurgency after they were removed from power and continue to pose some threat.

These sort of attacks have already happened in areas held by the YPG in Syria, with a mass shooting at Kobane last year (around the time that the YPG captured Tall Abyad from ISIS) and a recent attack at Tall Abyad and some of the surrounding villages. Insurgency attacks well behind the front lines. So that possibility isn't me making up unrealistic conspiracy theories.

That's before we get onto their overseas expansion. They may be defeated in one country but they can turn up somewhere else - like their recent expansion in Libya.

And with Israel, diplomacy is an option - the success of that sort of thing really depends on which governments are in power in Israel and their allies. It is 100% not an option with groups like ISIS.

Israel is a country that possesses nuclear weapons, the only country in the middle east, which by itself poses a massive threat, however small the chances that they actually use it. This alongside a powerful military shows that a country that has actively ignored the values of the UN and their atrocities against Palestine has this much power and international support (From even the USA)

ISIS haven't got any form of power in the air and are only strong on the ground and are losing soldiers as we speak. It is weakening and the whole world are against them.

In terms of 'peace', ISIS has done the worst it can in Paris, but no one can really tell what can happen with Israel.
OP,I think you should include a poll to go with this thread
Original post by queen-bee
OP,I think you should include a poll to go with this thread

Indeed, stupid thread should end with stupid poll. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending