The Student Room Group

Worried about GCSE Exams!!!!!

My GCSEs are incredibly soon, only a couple months away and I am panicking! I aim to get all A's and A*'s but I'm terrified that I might not get those grades. Right now, I'm not so confident on how to achieve my targets and I don't know how to revise with a focused mindset. I usually start revision but get distracted after doing two subjects. Is there anything I can do to secure my grades and not worry/panic about GCSE's?
Are you naturally smart? (getting B/A without revision in topic tests/mock exams)
Original post by Mayhem™
Are you naturally smart? (getting B/A without revision in topic tests/mock exams)

i wish i could be that species :redface:
Original post by fatima1998
i wish i could be that species :redface:

I have my own worries:redface:, without revision Cambridge will laugh at my application :colonhash:
Original post by Mayhem™
I have my own worries:redface:, without revision Cambridge will laugh at my application :colonhash:

:biggrin:
i am really so jealous of those people who get straight Bs and As without revision and i am the one who revise all the time and hardly achieve a B grade :biggrin:
Well, I'd say that a gradual build-up of revision is the best sort of way to go. It lasts longer in your head, unless you've got crap memory like me. In which case, my go-to guides are flashcards and usage of past-papers. (Although I am doing the new spec for Maths and English and ggghghghghgh.)

Good luck!! :wink:
Reply 6
Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Although, I have made a revision timetable but my biggest problem is sticking to it.
Reply 7
Original post by Mayhem™

Yes, somewhat, except for one subject which I need to put a lot of effort in to even scrape a B.
Original post by MeerabBieber
Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Although, I have made a revision timetable but my biggest problem is sticking to it.

Maybe move some stuff around then. If you can try and put subjects you don't like on days with subjects you don't mind as much, and then you can sort of alternate between the stuff you don't like much and the ones you do. Personally I never made timetables as I'm naturally fairly lazy so I would rather revise say chemistry if i felt like it than feel forced to 'revise' RE say and do nothing productive, but if you do that be careful not to leave out things
Wait till you get to A-Levels LOL
I've lost all motivation.
Original post by amahmoud0129
Wait till you get to A-Levels LOL

Spoiler

Original post by MeerabBieber
My GCSEs are incredibly soon, only a couple months away and I am panicking! I aim to get all A's and A*'s but I'm terrified that I might not get those grades. Right now, I'm not so confident on how to achieve my targets and I don't know how to revise with a focused mindset. I usually start revision but get distracted after doing two subjects. Is there anything I can do to secure my grades and not worry/panic about GCSE's?

There isn't much to expand on beyond what Kasoomb has said, but the best advice is to not let yourself get stressed out to the point where you're miserable. You'll probably disregard this, but believe me when I say how important it is that you leave time for yourself. Whether it's to pursue a hobby, or go to a party, or just relax. If you're in the kind of headspace where all you can think of is school, then your grades are going to suffer.

In regards to getting distracted when revising and not sticking to a timetable, don't force yourself. Once you feel your attention slipping away, take a break. Grab a snack, read a chapter of a book, go for a wander around your neighbourhood for ten minutes, whatever works for you! Even if it means taking a break every fifteen minutes or so. That's another key point actually; numerous studies have found that your brain works more efficiently by revising for short periods (20-30 minutes) and then taking short breaks in-between.

In the end, just don't be afraid to try a variety of different techniques because different things suit different people. There's no perfect way to revise, and if there is then I've certainly never found it. You've just got to find what works for you, and don't be afraid to experiment to find it!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest