The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
We've actually spent very little net due to big sales of Suarez and Sterling in the last two summers.

The extra 10-15mil could be the difference between buying another Benteke or buying a decent striker.

Our title challenge was a one-off due to Suarez/Sturridge. In reality, most of the time it's a case of good squads achieve in all competitions.

Why is it that the top 4 can compete in the CL and PL? If you can't deal with EL/PL, how are you going to cope with CL/PL if you did achieve it?

Its because the matches are usually Saturday-Tuesday or Sunday-Wednesday in the CL. Whereas with the Europa, its sometimes Thursday and Saturday. Add in the fact that you're travelling to unknown places far away, you barely get any rest. If you have a 12:30/1:30 kick off on Saturday and had a Europa match on Thursday, travelling back takes like a half a day and then you have like only half a day to recover. Barely any time to prepare for the early Saturday kick off and barely any rest. Its a nightmare and its been proven to affect clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Its because the matches are usually Saturday-Tuesday or Sunday-Wednesday in the CL. Whereas with the Europa, its sometimes Thursday and Saturday. Add in the fact that you're travelling to unknown places far away, you barely get any rest. If you have a 12:30/1:30 kick off on Saturday and had a Europa match on Thursday, travelling back takes like a half a day and then you have like only half a day to recover. Barely any time to prepare for the early Saturday kick off and barely any rest. Its a nightmare and its been proven to affect clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's always Thursday-Sunday. They always move the PL game back to the Sunday.

Which should be no different to playing Wednesday-Saturday.
Original post by Ned Stark
Sturridge did play well throughout that season for sure, but it was clearly Suarez who propelled him (and the rest of the team) to any kind of success. Players like Suarez can negate the failures of a team and improve the sum just by being on the pitch.

Na nonsense. Liverpool's losses that were critical for the title loss(Chelsea games) Sturridge was either unfit or didn't partake in at all.

Suarez didn't score against the top teams either. Suarez did a lot but Sturridge was just as much a part to play as Suarez, Suarez is the overall better player though but it was both of them. Suarez wouldn't have been able to make a title challenge on his own and same for Sturridge with that Liverpool team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure the PL games are moved to Sunday but Spurs (and Dortmund) have proven that you can still compete for the title or atleast the top 4 while playing in the EL. It's just a poor excuse for the squad not being good enough to compete both in Europe and domestically.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
It's always Thursday-Sunday. They always move the PL game back to the Sunday.

Which should be no different to playing Wednesday-Saturday.

Original post by samir12
Pretty sure the PL games are moved to Sunday but Spurs (and Dortmund) have proven that you can still compete for the title or atleast the top 4 while playing in the EL. It's just a poor excuse for the squad not being good enough to compete both in Europe and domestically.

I stand corrected. But the travelling issue still remain. Going to some next unknown places far away playing against teams you've never heard off. I mean we lost to a team that you could barely spell their name or even say it. Spurs have been the outlier this season but its certainly shown in the past few seasons that being in the Europa league has a negative impact on your league position in the PL. Maybe it is an excuse for a poor squad but I'd much rather focus on the league solely than participate in the Europa League imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I stand corrected. But the travelling issue still remain. Going to some next unknown places far away playing against teams you've never heard off. I mean we lost to a team that you could barely spell their name or even say it. Spurs have been the outlier this season but its certainly shown in the past few seasons that being in the Europa league has a negative impact on your league position in the PL. Maybe it is an excuse for a poor squad but I'd much rather focus on the league solely than participate in the Europa League imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the travel is overstated personally. It's effectively just a couple of extra hours on a plane.

Spurs' squad hasn't been good enough over the years. Yea on paper and as a one off game it looked good enough, but the reality is that their squad wasn't good enough for a grueling full season that the teams which qualify for the CL are regularly used to.

The difference are players like Aguero etc who are used to playing home/away for domestic, European and international games. They are able to maintain their quality and fitness over a full season with consistency. Spurs just haven't had any players who could do that for 50-60+ games a season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Na nonsense. Liverpool's losses that were critical for the title loss(Chelsea games) Sturridge was either unfit or didn't partake in at all.

Suarez didn't score against the top teams either. Suarez did a lot but Sturridge was just as much a part to play as Suarez, Suarez is the overall better player though but it was both of them. Suarez wouldn't have been able to make a title challenge on his own and same for Sturridge with that Liverpool team.

Not saying Sturridge was bad at all, he's a top player when fit and he's shown that a lot. My point is that Suarez elevated him to a level he may not ever reach again, hence why they were so good together. I saw a Premier League years episode on that season and WOW, Suarez was by far and away one of the best players I've seen in the Prem as a whole.
Imagine being a Liverpool fan and still discussing losing the title in 13/14.
Reply 5988
Original post by zKlown

Bit of a progression isn't it.

Otherwise we'd get talk of the last time they won the PL

..one of the great conspiracy theories

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ned Stark!
Original post by zKlown

At least we don't have Van Flatface as our manager...
Original post by Dirtybit
Ned Stark!

Thoughts on Arthur Dayne? @zKlown@SA-1@swirly@Louis.
Considered the greatest swordsmen the 7 kingdoms has ever seen.

(the guy holding two swords in the trailer)
Original post by Rk2k14
Thoughts on Arthur Dayne? @zKlown@SA-1@swirly@Louis.
Considered the greatest swordsmen the 7 kingdoms has ever seen.

**** him. Ned Stark is the GOAT.
**** him. Ned Stark is the GOAT.

GOAT actor.
WOAT character.

Didn't even make it through season 1 m8.
Original post by Rk2k14
Probably isn't him as he hasn't really been mentioned in the TV show, to introduce a new character for a single flash-back scene would be pretty pointless. Plus Arthur Dayne fought with a greatsword so if they were to bother to include him you'd imagine they'd at least get that right.
Original post by Nickini
Probably isn't him as he hasn't really been mentioned in the TV show, to introduce a new character for a single flash-back scene would be pretty pointless. Plus Arthur Dayne fought with a greatsword so if they were to bother to include him you'd imagine they'd at least get that right.

You have to wonder how many episodes they'd spend on flashbacks though. Especially now that the past is becoming more and more relevant - would anybody be surprised if a half/full season was set in the past?

Haven't read the books though so I don't know the details as much though.
Original post by Lúcio
GOAT actor.
WOAT character.

Didn't even make it through season 1 m8.

Wot.

So if you don't make it through 1 season the character is bad? Do you even watch GOT or are you trolling me lol?
Game of Thrones trailer for the new season got me mad excited. Its looking like Jon Snow might be bought back from the dead which would be a madness.

Anyways, I'm predicting a 2-1 loss tomorrow at Anfield which wouldn't be such a bad result. I can't see van Gaal winning his 5th consecutive game against Liverpool. Surely not?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wot.

So if you don't make it through 1 season the character is bad? Do you even watch GOT or are you trolling me lol?

I'm just messing m8 - always loved Sean Bean as an actor and Ned Stark was awesome.

Unfortunately he was "too good a man" to stay alive in this kind of kingdom if you get me. Anybody with good intentions dies horribly for viewer/reader shock, leaving only the semi-decent and outright people left for the climactic battles.

The notion is interesting - there are too many happy ever after stories or ones where the good people survive. I think this one shows that you need a little of the devil within you to make it through.

If you look at the "main" characters - Danaerys, Tyrion and Jon - all except the latter have done things that no "hero/heroine" would ever do.
Game of Thrones trailer for the new season got me mad excited. Its looking like Jon Snow might be bought back from the dead which would be a madness.

Anyways, I'm predicting a 2-1 loss tomorrow at Anfield which wouldn't be such a bad result. I can't see van Gaal winning his 5th consecutive game against Liverpool. Surely not?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah trailer looks sick. It was obvious Jon was to be brought back, however the interesting thing will be whether the character changes or not.

As for the game tomorrow, 2-1 would actually be an okay result for you. Our games aren't really that high scoring so if you could grab an away goal, you'd only need to win 1-0 at home (which you've already done). I can't see us getting back if we lose/draw (unless it's 0-0).

If I were Klopp, I'd press intensely for 30-45 minutes and if we score a goal, we can sit back and counter. If not, it might be worth playing for the clean sheet. Things are much more tactical in 2 legs and it's very different from getting the 3 points at any cost like it is in the PL. Any injury/suspension/major risk could massively backfire in the return leg.

Latest