The Student Room Group

Is 21 TOO old for University

Basically i will be 21 in december when i start university. I am quite nervous that i will not make friends or people will not really want to go out with me because of my age (clubbing etc)

Although i will be 21 i feel like im still quite like an 18/19 year old and i really enjoy going out etc

I plan on living in student accomodation but everyone else (i would hate to be paired with other mature students as im probably not really "mature" lol)

My question really is do you think it will be a problem for me to make friends and would it be weird to adjust or will i be alright?
Reply 1
I'm 23 and starting Uni in September, when I went to my interview I found that there was a huge range of ages.
I felt really old applying for my course, thinking I'd be the oldest there but I really wasn't!
I guess it depends on the type of person you are, but I honestly think it will be fine especially as you're 21 that really isn't old.
Don't worry about it!
25 and starting Sept.
not at all, theres quite a few 20+ guys in first year
one of my flatmates is 23, he gets along with everyone well and goes out clubbing

its not weird
Reply 4
23 in 2 weeks and i started 2 months before my 22nd birthday
Reply 5
Original post by Supersaps
25 and starting Sept.

Goodluck, which university?

Original post by Straighthate
not at all, theres quite a few 20+ guys in first year
one of my flatmates is 23, he gets along with everyone well and goes out clubbing

its not weird

The thing is alot of people my age are really mature whereas im not, people say that it is annoying being around 18 year olds being away from home for the first time but i will be just the same haha :biggrin:

Original post by shawtyb
23 in 2 weeks and i started 2 months before my 22nd birthday

How did you find it? did you stay in normal uni accommodation?
Aha. Actually, I forgot I'm 26. Birthday was on Sunday.

Durham
Reply 7
Original post by FTG894x
Goodluck, which university?

The thing is alot of people my age are really mature whereas im not, people say that it is annoying being around 18 year olds being away from home for the first time but i will be just the same haha :biggrin:

How did you find it? did you stay in normal uni accommodation?

hi i do mine from home due to childcare
if 21 was too old for university, universities would have no postgraduate students... i don't understand the logic '18-21 is uni age otherwise too old for uni'
24 :gangster:
3rd year at Uni
Started after just turning 20

#DoingIt

Original post by Supersaps
Aha. Actually, I forgot I'm 26. Birthday was on Sunday.

Durham

:toofunny: what've you been smoking?
Or is the noise from having a wife and children getting to you :colone:
Reply 10
I'm 21 and i'm doing my 2nd year at Uni .You will find a lot of different people who will have 20,18,24 ...:smile:
Reply 11
You're never too old for university. I'm currently in my third year (started straight from a-levels at 18) and one of my closest friends is 4 years older than me. There's a complete range of ages on my course, a lot started like me after a-levels, but a lot have also started in their 20s and 30s after having children. Good luck and enjoy your time at university!

Quick Reply

Latest