The Student Room Group

Leaving School with Unconditional Offers

I currently have 3 unconditional offers to study Teaching in Primary Education, and am considering leaving school so i can work and earn money to support myself at Uni, although i'm doing reasonably at school, i don't think i'll achieve my predicted grades in my subjects but would still complete the RME unit i'm doing and sit my History exam since i've done the assignment and everything for it. I was wondering if University could, or would, revoke or reconsider my offer if i did this. If it helps, i've got into Aberdeen Uni, Edinburgh Uni, and Glasgow Uni, but i'm pretty much set on Aberdeen, haha. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Universities gave you unconditional offers under the assumption that you were taking examinations for all the subjects you put on your USCAS form. Pretty sure that means if you quit school, your offer is null and void. I'd contact the universities in question and see what they say.

Congratulations though! I'm hopefully applying this year for 2017 entry, Primary teaching is such a rewarding career choice!
I would contact the universities and ask first. Obviously they are unconditionals, so are not asking for any academic requirements, however some may potentially revoke an offer as you offer has partly been based on that idea of you finishing s6.

Congratulations though on your offers as primary teaching can be very competitive, particularly for glasgow as they offer catholic teaching as well.
Reply 3
Okay :smile: Thanks guys, x I'll probably stay in school just in case but i can always work in the Easter Holidays a lot, and after i finish, all summer, and just not put 150% into revising during Easter D: :')
You never know, when you will need your A Levels (or other). You will bite you, when you apply for a first job and they want you to confirm, that you finished school with e.g. four passed A Levels. Or you absolutely hate your uni and want to transfer or just applying for any job and someone notices the lack of final grades in your CV ...

To sum it up: Don't quit, because it seems the easiest way now.
Original post by Tam909
I currently have 3 unconditional offers to study Teaching in Primary Education, and am considering leaving school so i can work and earn money to support myself at Uni, although i'm doing reasonably at school, i don't think i'll achieve my predicted grades in my subjects but would still complete the RME unit i'm doing and sit my History exam since i've done the assignment and everything for it. I was wondering if University could, or would, revoke or reconsider my offer if i did this. If it helps, i've got into Aberdeen Uni, Edinburgh Uni, and Glasgow Uni, but i'm pretty much set on Aberdeen, haha. Thanks :smile:

If you're not going to achieve all the qualifications you listed on your UCAS form, unis can reconsider or revoke their offers. In this case, if you'd be completely dropping out of school, there's definitely a chance unis would revoke their offers.

If money is likely to be a problem, you could ask to defer for a year and spend a gap year earning money for uni.
Reply 6
I emailed Aberdeen University (my first choice) and they said since it's unconditional they don't need anything more from me, so it's up to me if i leave school to focus on work or stay in school to finish my qualifications, although it's university policy that they recommend that prospective students continue in education :smile: I probably will stay, and just hope i'm not kicked out D: haha, although it's nice to know i can leave if i want to.
Original post by Tam909
I emailed Aberdeen University (my first choice) and they said since it's unconditional they don't need anything more from me, so it's up to me if i leave school to focus on work or stay in school to finish my qualifications, although it's university policy that they recommend that prospective students continue in education :smile: I probably will stay, and just hope i'm not kicked out D: haha, although it's nice to know i can leave if i want to.

I'm guessing you're a Scottish student taking highers. If you did drop out, could it affect your career in the future? In England, a lot of primary schools will expect you to have A-levels. Could you talk to some current primary teachers before making a decision?
Reply 8
yeah i'm doing 2highers and an advanced higher this year, i already have 5 highers from last year which is why i got unconditionals so i already have a fair few qualifications. Even if i left i'd still sit units in Rme and maybe my 2 highers so i'd have 7 but i can't drop my AH and stay in school because it's not enough, which is why im considering it pretty much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending