The Student Room Group

Does rape culture exist? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kates David
Yes, and when gathering such statistics they are based upon what people say as well. There were good reasons as to why reliable statistics did not exist at the time/were entirely non representative - Natural ability for understanding one`s own specie is not unobtainable, and it often takes you several steps beyond what at a particular time can be proven, if proof in this instance is even the right term, and I`d argue not. Again, secondhand information which we are supposed to simply accept..Heightened natural ability in communication both gave me the answers as to why the statistics were wrong then, and enabled me to know that this information passed on to me by this individual at the rock face could be depended upon. I have been shown to be right on both counts. Over information can actually hamper genuine insight, and Sociology, the study of, is the route to all evil. This is my voice, so don`t expect it to necessarily join you and your system, except of course by chance. I`m a philosopher first and foremost, and only interested in underlying truths.

I don't but also don't expect not to be questioned while using it
Original post by leavingthecity
The irony in your reply

The irony in your reply

What irony?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The dismissive tone of the one liner reply. It's supposed to be part of 'rape culture' from the perspective of those that argue one exists.

Not saying that I would judge there to be a rape culture or not based on individuals claims, but I wouldn't come to a conclusion without them either.
The dismissive tone of the one liner reply. It's supposed to be part of 'rape culture' from the perspective of those that argue one exists.

Not saying that I would judge there to be a rape culture or not based on individuals claims, but I wouldn't come to a conclusion without them either.

I think it is important to distinguish the difference between denying the real experiences of someone and what someone said on an anonymous forum to try and prove a point.

"I read it on the Internet so it must be true."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
I think it is important to distinguish the difference between denying the real experiences of someone and what someone said on an anonymous forum to try and prove a point.

"I read it on the Internet so it must be true."

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not this individual account so much, just go and ask a group of women. Ask me! It's all valuable information in determining the state of things. All information should be scrutinised.
Reply 126
I think there is a rape culture.

It is more pronounced in certain countries, often 3rd world, but it is still visible in the UK and similar nations.

For me its the attitude we hold; girls wearing tight dresses, lots of make up, heels etc make some people say "she is asking for it". If I walked out of my house naked right now, I would not be asking for it, if I left my house in my Harry Potter cloak I would not be asking for it, if I wore a tight dress and heels, I would not be asking for it. The same goes the other way around for guys and how they dress, although I think very few people say when a male is raped "he was asking for it". I also would argue we have a lad culture that encourages the sexualisation and objectification of women, taking away respect and consequently making sexual assault normalised; so increasingly people don't understand that what they are doing is wrong. Again I am not attacking guys, I know this works both ways, and women can lack respect in the same way.

I also think that when being in a relationship of some kind - whether exclusive, or open, or marriage or whatever - every sexual act must be consented by both parties. People can get taken advantage of because they've slept with someone before - that does not entitle someone to sleep with you again without permission. I think we are accustomed to not taking rape cases like this seriously: we see it as consensual.

Even the fact women cannot walk alone at night, or the need to guard drinks, or having pepper spray and holding your phone when walking alone, or pulling your keys out of your bag ready to quickly open the door if someone attacks - all of these are things that many women do without even thinking. It is instinctive for me to hold my keys ready, or to call someone when I'm walking alone etc, all illustrate this rape culture we live in.

Maybe what I'm describing is not a rape culture to you, but I see it as one.
Original post by Han-
I think there is a rape culture.

It is more pronounced in certain countries, often 3rd world, but it is still visible in the UK and similar nations.

For me its the attitude we hold; girls wearing tight dresses, lots of make up, heels etc make some people say "she is asking for it". If I walked out of my house naked right now, I would not be asking for it, if I left my house in my Harry Potter cloak I would not be asking for it, if I wore a tight dress and heels, I would not be asking for it. The same goes the other way around for guys and how they dress, although I think very few people say when a male is raped "he was asking for it". I also would argue we have a lad culture that encourages the sexualisation and objectification of women, taking away respect and consequently making sexual assault normalised; so increasingly people don't understand that what they are doing is wrong. Again I am not attacking guys, I know this works both ways, and women can lack respect in the same way.

I also think that when being in a relationship of some kind - whether exclusive, or open, or marriage or whatever - every sexual act must be consented by both parties. People can get taken advantage of because they've slept with someone before - that does not entitle someone to sleep with you again without permission. I think we are accustomed to not taking rape cases like this seriously: we see it as consensual.

Even the fact women cannot walk alone at night, or the need to guard drinks, or having pepper spray and holding your phone when walking alone, or pulling your keys out of your bag ready to quickly open the door if someone attacks - all of these are things that many women do without even thinking. It is instinctive for me to hold my keys ready, or to call someone when I'm walking alone etc, all illustrate this rape culture we live in.

Maybe what I'm describing is not a rape culture to you, but I see it as one.

Culture implies the majority and the people who say "she was asking for it" aren't the majority they are scum.

Nobody complains of men being sexualised.

Sexual assault isn't normalised it is a rare occurrence.

Not true we put these people in courts and people want them jailed (look at the Durham uni student case)

Except women are less likely to be a victim of violent crime so maybe the reason they don't feel safe walking home alone is because of the people who say there is a rape culture
Reply 128
Original post by joecphillips
Culture implies the majority and the people who say "she was asking for it" aren't the majority they are scum.

Nobody complains of men being sexualised.

Sexual assault isn't normalised it is a rare occurrence.

Not true we put these people in courts and people want them jailed (look at the Durham uni student case)

Except women are less likely to be a victim of violent crime so maybe the reason they don't feel safe walking home alone is because of the people who say there is a rape culture

I understand where you are coming from - although I did try make it clear that men are also subject to sexualisation. Yes I can see that not many complain about this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

No maybe the majority don't think this, but there is definitely at times a more negative sense towards women that dress as such and get raped, rather than women who are pounced on in alleys for example.

Do you really think sexual assault is a rare occurrence? Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word - "Sexual assault is a crime of power and control. The term sexual assault refers to sexual contact or behavior that occurs without explicit consent of the victim". (RAINN)

Earlier this week I heard statistics on the radio that showed over 80% of women had been verbally sexually assaulted in a public place, whilst half of these were also inappropriately touched. It happens in clubs all the time; we are always getting our bums slapped or similar. Again this is not limited to women.

Yes, we do have a good law system most of the time. I believe in the Durham uni case, he was not found guilty. Which is another example of rape culture - I think men get it really hard, theres always the risk of someone crying rape or sexual assault, and as a result men are put in vulnerable and unfair positions.

I think women are worried about walking home because there is a real possible danger, rather than because of any other reason.
Original post by Han-
I understand where you are coming from - although I did try make it clear that men are also subject to sexualisation. Yes I can see that not many complain about this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

No maybe the majority don't think this, but there is definitely at times a more negative sense towards women that dress as such and get raped, rather than women who are pounced on in alleys for example.

Do you really think sexual assault is a rare occurrence? Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word - "Sexual assault is a crime of power and control. The term sexual assault refers to sexual contact or behavior that occurs without explicit consent of the victim". (RAINN)

Earlier this week I heard statistics on the radio that showed over 80% of women had been verbally sexually assaulted in a public place, whilst half of these were also inappropriately touched. It happens in clubs all the time; we are always getting our bums slapped or similar. Again this is not limited to women.

Yes, we do have a good law system most of the time. I believe in the Durham uni case, he was not found guilty. Which is another example of rape culture - I think men get it really hard, theres always the risk of someone crying rape or sexual assault, and as a result men are put in vulnerable and unfair positions.

I think women are worried about walking home because there is a real possible danger, rather than because of any other reason.

There is a real possible danger anyone can be attacked and statistics show that it is mainly males in danger.

I think the statistic you mentioned may have been this one http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/take-the-uk-sexual-harassment-survey-with-a-grain-of-salt/article/2585236?custom_click=rss

I know the definition of sexual assault what I would suggest is you do not know the definition of culture "the way of ​life, ​especially the ​general ​customs and ​beliefs, of a ​particular ​group of ​people at a ​particular ​time"
Reply 130
There is a real possible danger anyone can be attacked and statistics show that it is mainly males in danger.

I think the statistic you mentioned may have been this one http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/take-the-uk-sexual-harassment-survey-with-a-grain-of-salt/article/2585236?custom_click=rss

I know the definition of sexual assault what I would suggest is you do not know the definition of culture "the way of ​life, ​especially the ​general ​customs and ​beliefs, of a ​particular ​group of ​people at a ​particular ​time"

Yes I agree, there is definitely a real possible danger of people being attacked, and that men may also be in the most danger. This does not change my belief that women's fear of being sexually assaulted has resulted in the instinctive need to protect ourselves, be it with a phone ready to ring someone or pepper spray etc - this is what I see as rape culture.

Thank you for your definition of culture :smile: Although I would like to point out that we are considering rape culture which is different - "it was designed to show the ways in which society blamed victims of sexual assault and normalized male sexual violence", of which I have been arguing.

Interesting article, but not certain that is the right one!
Original post by Han-
pepper spray etc

Owning pepper spray is highly illegal and is classed as owning an illegal firearm.

Good luck with that.
Reply 132
Owning pepper spray is highly illegal and is classed as owning an illegal firearm.

Good luck with that.

I don't actually own any, but I didn't know it came under the firearms act - very interesting!

By pepper spray I'm implying a protection method; for example I have a can of deodorant in my bag that has its obvious purpose but could always come in handy for self-defence.
I don't but also don't expect not to be questioned while using it

I do expect to be questioned. We are only on something like twenty percent of full communication by this medium, so it is virtually impossible to second guess what`s on each others minds. Word combinations alone are only enough when writing in all the details of one`s emotions, environment, and thoughts.

Once it was out that this girl had lived a life of sexual abuse all the other girls that had suffered similarly at the hand of men were drawn to her like a magnet. This is why her findings were so significant. These were the true statistics, and twenty years ahead of the experts.

If you add to this girls experience just how many men would likely, the percentage, join in gang rapes if they knew that they would never have to answer for their crime, you do need to question whether in fact we are living in a rape culture here; in certain areas, within certain age ranges. Too many men tend to joining a mob in preference to standing alone, and too many men when they say that they love you actually mean that they love/serve themselves, ultimately, and if the coast is clear, this can include rape.

Romantic love is more often than not concerned with self love, for beyond a certain order of emotion one`s feelings become more important than one`s partner. I always love with controlled emotion in order to attain a higher order of love. Love that rather than being the nearest thing to hate can never under any circumstances go there.

It`s b... hard getting badges here!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Han-
I don't actually own any, but I didn't know it came under the firearms act - very interesting!

By pepper spray I'm implying a protection method; for example I have a can of deodorant in my bag that has its obvious purpose but could always come in handy for self-defence.

You could still be done for the use of an offensive weapon, especially if you carry deodorant for the use of a self defense weapon among other things.
I do expect to be questioned. We are only on something like twenty percent of full communication by this medium, so it is virtually impossible to second guess what`s on each others minds. Word combinations alone are only enough when writing in all the details of one`s emotions, environment, and thoughts.

Once it was out that this girl had lived a life of sexual abuse all the other girls that had suffered similarly at the hand of men were drawn to her like a magnet. This is why her findings were so significant. These were the true statistics, and twenty years ahead of the experts.

If you add to this girls experience just how many men would likely, the percentage, join in gang rapes if they knew that they would never have to answer for their crime, you do need to question whether in fact we are living in a rape culture here; in certain areas, within certain age ranges. Too many men tend to joining a mob in preference to standing alone, and too many men when they say that they love you actually mean that they love/serve themselves, ultimately, and if the coast is clear, this can include rape.

Romantic love is more often than not concerned with self love, for beyond a certain order of emotion one`s feelings become more important than one`s partner. I always love with controlled emotion in order to attain a higher order of love. Love that rather than being the nearest thing to hate can never under any circumstances go there.

It`s b... hard getting badges here!!!

I don't think as many men as you say would join in.

It isn't just men who say things to serve themselves.

Are you seriously suggesting a lot of men would rape if they would get away with it?
I think if you are seriously suggesting that you should start talking to different people as if the men you talk to suggest they would do that you are talking to the wrong people.
Reply 136
You could still be done for the use of an offensive weapon, especially if you carry deodorant for the use of a self defense weapon among other things.

Nope I carry it as stated for the intended purpose of using an deodorant. I am more than happy to be done for using an offensive weapon though if it means I defended myself, or at least tried to, from an attacker.
I don't think as many men as you say would join in.

It isn't just men who say things to serve themselves.

Are you seriously suggesting a lot of men would rape if they would get away with it?
I think if you are seriously suggesting that you should start talking to different people as if the men you talk to suggest they would do that you are talking to the wrong people.

No, it is equally females, as so far as I can guess, but to the extent that rape is our concern in this discussion I feel that we should focus on men.
I`m suggesting that under certain specific circumstances that a "lot" of men might go there - Self love is common, especially as part of romantic love, and more men will join with mob mentality than will take their own path. This happens every time. The mob creates its own values for its members, and they think as one.

If you want to know whether a man is honestly ultimately stronger than his innate drive, because this does concern ultimate circumstances, lock him in a room with those females that he honestly finds the most appealing. Then tell him that they are under age. Have them strip in front of him, and study his response. He should be trying to cave the door in to get out, but is he? What happens if the girls ask him to engage? Mob rape mentality is such that it has its participants fooled into believing that this is normal sexual activity.on both sides. It tells them what all too many of them would in the ideal world wish to hear, and wills them into believing it. It only works should sexual conquest be its participants ultimate dream.

Rape is very common in battle, the mob rape the girl, most participating, but knowing that she will be disposed of afterwards, such that the incidence never even took place - Never trust to large groups of men. It does concern what quality of men you are with but their genuine quality takes for a lot of testing to discern. No men that I have spoken with have ever suggested to under any circumstances going there. My family are middle class, and gentle folk, and I live in tranquil countryside, not a town.

Why do you think men are avoiding us now - What do you imagine the psychology is? Many men are very defensive, because actually, locked up inside of them, they have a lot to defend/run away from about themselves. This is n`t normally revealed even to other men..
(edited 8 years ago)
No, it is equally females, as so far as I can guess, but to the extent that rape is our concern in this discussion I feel that we should focus on men.
I`m suggesting that under certain specific circumstances that a "lot" of men might go there - Self love is common, especially as part of romantic love, and more men will join with mob mentality than will take their own path. This happens every time. The mob creates its own values for its members, and they think as one.

If you want to know whether a man is honestly ultimately stronger than his innate drive, because this does concern ultimate circumstances, lock him in a room with those females that he honestly finds the most appealing. Then tell him that they are under age. Have them strip in front of him, and study his response. He should be trying to cave the door in to get out, but is he? What happens if the girls ask him to engage? Mob rape mentality is such that it has its participants fooled into believing that this is normal sexual activity.on both sides. It tells them what all too many of them would in the ideal world wish to hear, and wills them into believing it. It only works should sexual conquest be its participants ultimate dream.

Rape is very common in battle, the mob rape the girl, most participating, but knowing that she will be disposed of afterwards, such that the incidence never even took place - Never trust to large groups of men. It does concern what quality of men you are with but their genuine quality takes for a lot of testing to discern. No men that I have spoken with have ever suggested to under any circumstances going there. My family are middle class, and gentle folk, and I live in tranquil countryside, not a town.

Why do you think men are avoiding us now - What do you imagine the psychology is? Many men are very defensive, because actually, locked up inside of them, they have a lot to defend/run away from about themselves. This is n`t normally revealed even to other men..

What complete utter rubbish.....

Your basically saying men will do something if they knew they could 100% get away with it....

It's like saying a woman would steal if she 100% knew she could get away with it....

And mob mentality concerning sexual abuses, and in fact anything else, isn't really a gendered issue.

I think it is because society is willing to destroy them one a accusation alone and they are protecting themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending