The Student Room Group

Does this sound like I enjoy my job? Help

I actually need help with deciding whether I enjoy my job or not.. here is the details-
My job stresses me out to the maximum its almost frightening when I have no idea what I'm doing but when I solve an issue the feeling of happiness is great I almost dance home and will sing in the car thinking of what a great job I did and praise I've gotten. There has been times where I've gotten so stressed I've conscidered quiting, on one occasion I almost put my coat on and walkedout. When I'm at home I think about work and often try to solve problems at home I've encountered at work just because a particular issue has interested me to the point I must solve the challenge and beat it so I can go in the next day with the answer. I am always looking to learn new aspects of the job so whilst other employees are moaning about training days I welcome it and ask for more. I am always willing to go above and beyond my line of duty, but tbh I've always been like that in regards to employment so don't think its really just this job.I would possibly like a career from the job but I am put of by it complexity and feel not smart enough to make it into a career. I am baffled in deciding on whether I enjoy it or not.. in your opinion do I sound like someone who enjoys their job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TL;DR

Only you can decide if you like your job.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius
Original post by Superhotfire
I actually need help with deciding whether I enjoy my job or not.. here is the details-
My job stresses me out to the maximum its almost frightening when I have no idea what I'm doing but when I solve an issue the feeling of happiness is great I almost dance home and will sing in the car thinking of what a great job I did and praise I've gotten. There has been times where I've gotten so stressed I've conscidered quiting, on one occasion I almost put my coat on and walkedout. When I'm at home I think about work and often try to solve problems at home I've encountered at work just because a particular issue has interested me to the point I must solve the challenge and beat it so I can go in the next day with the answer. I am always looking to learn new aspects of the job so whilst other employees are moaning about training days I welcome it and ask for more. I am always willing to go above and beyond my line of duty, but tbh I've always been like that in regards to employment so don't think its really just this job.I would possibly like a career from the job but I am put of by it complexity and feel not smart enough to make it into a career. I am baffled in deciding on whether I enjoy it or not.. in your opinion do I sound like someone who enjoys their job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interested in what it is that you do?

Well a job where you feel like you're continuously challenged and learning is definitely a good thing, but you said you feel the stress is partly due to this and resultant feelings of inadequacy.

I think the question you need to think about is "will the stress end at some point?", and to answer that you need to look at more senior people in your job and consider what the scope of their knowledge is and what you think it will take to reach that level. Also, when you look at more senior people in the job does it seem like they are continously being challenged by the job like you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Death Grips
Interested in what it is that you do?

Well a job where you feel like you're continuously challenged and learning is definitely a good thing, but you said you feel the stress is partly due to this and resultant feelings of inadequacy.

I think the question you need to think about is "will the stress end at some point?", and to answer that you need to look at more senior people in your job and consider what the scope of their knowledge is and what you think it will take to reach that level. Also, when you look at more senior people in the job does it seem like they are continously being challenged by the job like you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It appears to me the higher up you are the less work you seem to do..

Posted from TSR Mobile
It appears to me the higher up you are the less work you seem to do..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you would be wrong. The higher up you are the more work you have to do, however it may not be conventional work behind a desk it is still work
Original post by DiddyDec
Well you would be wrong. The higher up you are the more work you have to do, however it may not be conventional work behind a desk it is still work

Well in my company the higher up you are the more time you spend on solitaire. If you manage a good team of people who know what they are doing it is quite easy to sit back and do nothing and reap the rewards of your team doing well which is not a result of your management skills. At my place my boss does nothing but we all work hard for him because he is a great person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Well in my company the higher up you are the more time you spend on solitaire. If you manage a good team of people who know what they are doing it is quite easy to sit back and do nothing and reap the rewards of your team doing well which is not a result of your management skills. At my place my boss does nothing but we all work hard for him because he is a great person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you do? I agree, the partners in my firm seem to do not a lot at all lol. But i guess they bear a lot of responsibility

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending