The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel9998
so investment banking lol ??

you are making it sound like a stroll in the park, when it really isn't. Starting an excellent business and making more money out of it then IB is a LOT harder than you think.

"its easy to make billions" LOOL that made me laugh

See, that's what most people would say.

For example, many people would say "Becoming a master rocket scientist is so difficult!". You know what a master rocket scientist would say? "That was easy!".

Things seem hard when you're ignorant about them.

But making billions is easy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by King Scorchy
Money is really easy to make, it's just that most people are unaware of how to make it.

I meant working for an investment bank to learn how they (and their clients) make money. But it was just a simple question - there are much faster and better ways of making a hell of a lot of money.

A simple way would be to live dirt-cheap, get as high a paying job as you can, start an excellent business (easier than you think) and devote your life to learning how to make more and more money, investing that money in the same or other ways.

Basically, it's easy to make billions - it's just that most people are ignorant (no joke).

This is plain wrong.

For example, people who took out second mortgages for to buy houses in London for their children in the 80's are probably feeling pretty good about themselves right now, don;t get me wrong, I think there is a lot to be said for not wasting money and apart from one aspect of my life, I am really good at making and saving money, but living on Tesco's value rice every day of your life won't make you a rich man.

Also when it comes to businesses, investing etc, there are few opportunities to make money risk free, because to do so, you have to spot these arbitrage opportunities before enough people erode their profitability.
See, that's what most people would say.

It's like most people would say 'Become a master rocket scientist is hard!'. You know what master rocket scientist would say? "That was easy!".

Things seem hard when you're ignorant about them.

But making billions is easy.

There are only 1,645 billionaires.
The population of earth is about 7 billion
You are calling 99.9999765% of the worlds population ignorant.

Also not one billionaire would say "this was easy"
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
This is plain wrong.

For example, people who took out second mortgages for to buy houses in London for their children in the 80's are probably feeling pretty good about themselves right now, don;t get me wrong, I think there is a lot to be said for not wasting money and apart from one aspect of my life, I am really good at making and saving money, but living on Tesco's value rice every day of your life won't make you a rich man.

Also when it comes to businesses, investing etc, there are few opportunities to make money risk free, because to do so, you have to spot these arbitrage opportunities before enough people erode their profitability.

No way - there are infinite possibilities to make lots of money in real life - life is infinite, there are infinite things to do and make (and to profit from, and profit big).

Also, about living well below your means, I mean that, when you first start out, if you don't have much money, simply spend as little as is possible of it and use that money to invest it in the best possible way you can - say, making a business that is just of fantastic quality. It's easy!

There are only 1,645 billionaires.
The population of earth is about 7 billion
You are calling 99.9999765% of the worlds population ignorant.

Also not one billionaire would say "this was easy"

They really are. How many people are, say, master astrophysicists? I mean on the leading edge of their science. Not many. The rest are simply ignorant about what they do (and know)! And the same can be applied to billionaires.

And I'll bet quite a few would say "this was easy".
No way - there are infinite possibilities to make lots of money in real life - life is infinite, there are infinite things to do and make (and to profit from, and profit big).

Also, about living well below your means, I mean that, when you first start out, if you don't have much money, simply spend as little as is possible of it and use that money to invest it in the best possible way you can - say, making a business that is just of fantastic quality. It's easy!

They really are. How many people are, say, master astrophysicists? I mean on the leading edge of their science. Not many. The rest are simply ignorant about what they do (and know)! And the same can be applied to billionaires.

You're deluded. Get back to reality.

I'll have that 'live forever' potion too, that'd be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

trolling at its best :smile:
Original post by Princepieman
I'll have that 'live forever' potion too, that'd be nice.

trolling at its best :smile:

Nope, I promise you it's easy to make billions.

Rocket science is easy when you've mastered it, brain surgery is easy when you've mastered it, guitar is easy when you've mastered it, and so on and so forth. When those people started out, it looked difficult. But then as time went on and they learned more and more, they saw that it was easy.

And what would a master guitarist say? "It's easy, you just gotta learn how to do it."

And it's the same with making billions.

Rocket science is easy when you've mastered it, brain surgery is easy when you've mastered it, guitar is easy when you've mastered it, and so on and so forth. When those people started out, it looked difficult. But then as time went on and they learned more and more, they saw that it was easy.

And what would a master guitarist say? "It's easy, you just gotta learn how to do it."

ok

These figures are about 2 years old (base for graduates a.k.a Analyst 1 is now £50k) but it gives you a ballpark. All-in figures would be base + bonus (i.e. base*(1 + percentage)).

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the figures like for a quant? I'm curious.

So where are your billions mate?
Original post by Terry Tibbs
So where are your billions mate?

In the future, and not far into the future either.
Usually much less bonus, and slightly lower base (but still pretty in-line). I'll dig around for some.
Usually much less bonus, and slightly lower base (but still pretty in-line). I'll dig around for some.

Don't give ******** advice. 65-90k starting to 300k + bonuses I can provide links. Stick to your beta IB.

Exactly. This is so true. The true reason people don't make billions, is because of their belief in a myth, that you have to work, and because of the relative lack of education of self made entrepreneurs.

Lmao Quants making 300k at a Wall Street firms, designing financial instruments, take their salary with pride, without considering the profitability of the business on a larger scale. They could probably make low millions at least running their own firms.
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
Don't give ******** advice. 65-90k starting to 300k + bonuses I can provide links. Stick to your beta IB.

Thought bonuses were capped at 200%?

Oh ignore me, didn't read properly
(edited 8 years ago)

But that sort of contradicts what ur saying? Ur saying its easy to make billions...... wants you've mastered it. So ur saying that the journey to it is hard but once u make it its easy.

Honestly ur underestimating how hard it is to be a billionaire. Im sure if it was that easy then a couple million people would be billionaires in this world.
If its so easy why arent u a billionaire? Why are u chatting online on TSR, spreading dumbass logic and not making billions?

Seriously never heard something so stupid before😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought bonuses were capped at 200%?

I think that's an EU law so perhaps. But the starting and the general base salary is higher. Plus they generate more in bonuses than IBs.
Reply 138

What do you know about infinity?
How do you know its exists?
How can you measure it?
tell me something that you have that is infinite.

See.. You shouldn't go round using that beautiful word will nilly. You can carry on motivating your self to make the dough but just realise that there's a cap to everything.:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
Exactly. This is so true. The true reason people don't make billions, is because of their belief in a myth, that you have to work, and because of the relative lack of education of self made entrepreneurs.

Lmao Quants making 300k at a Wall Street firms, designing financial instruments, take their salary with pride, without considering the profitability of the business on a larger scale. They could probably make low millions at least running their own firms.

Amen. Before you posted I thought everyone was just stupid.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest