The Student Room Group

Graduating with an intergrated foundation year

Hi, so I am currently on a Physics BSc (with foundation year) course and was wondering when I graduate do I have to technically graduate with this or can I simply graduate with the BSc and take the foundation year and its own certificate.
Its not that I'm not proud of the foundation year, but all in all it may not look as good as others with just the BSc on applications for jobs and such.
To be completely sure you will need to ask your university, but one of my friends did a foundation year and neither their diploma nor transcript mentions it. You certainly don't have to mention it on your CV if you don't want to.
Original post by RiverNix
Hi, so I am currently on a Physics BSc (with foundation year) course and was wondering when I graduate do I have to technically graduate with this or can I simply graduate with the BSc and take the foundation year and its own certificate.
Its not that I'm not proud of the foundation year, but all in all it may not look as good as others with just the BSc on applications for jobs and such.

It'll just be your end qualification (i.e. the BSc (hons)). There's no need to put down the fact that you did a foundation year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm looking to do a foundation course starting in September (will have to apply through Extra as I've changed my mind on a lot), but would you recommend doing one?
Original post by williamsxsophie
I'm looking to do a foundation course starting in September (will have to apply through Extra as I've changed my mind on a lot), but would you recommend doing one?

If you can't otherwise get onto the degree due to insufficient current qualifications; it's a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
If you can't otherwise get onto the degree due to insufficient current qualifications; it's a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So would you recommend doing a degree with a foundation year at a top university (such as Nottingham - where I'm looking to apply), rather than going straight into an undergraduate course at a 'normal' university?
Reply 6
This is the course I have applied for to start 2016! Really excited but don't know the answer to your questions sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
So would you recommend doing a degree with a foundation year at a top university (such as Nottingham - where I'm looking to apply), rather than going straight into an undergraduate course at a 'normal' university?

Yes

Yes

I don't agree. Unless you're planning a career in law or IB/finance, it doesn't really matter where you go to university. Increasing numbers of employers are using a CV-blind system to recruit graduates, so they won't know where you studied anyway. Is adding an extra £15,000+ onto your student debt worth going to a slightly more prestigious university? No.
Original post by Snufkin
I don't agree. Unless you're planning a career in law or IB/finance, it doesn't really matter where you go to university. Increasing numbers of employers are using a CV-blind system to recruit graduates, so they won't know where you studied anyway. Is adding an extra £15,000+ onto your student debt worth going to a slightly more prestigious university? No.

Except, that debt is meaningless because it's not actual debt. So my answer is still yes.

And it's not 'slightly'. We're talking about a BBB or less university vs a top university; that is a significant increase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except, that debt is meaningless because it's not actual debt. So my answer is still yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is money you will have to repay, whether it's called debt or a graduate tax is immaterial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending