The Student Room Group

Mathematics for Computer Science at the University of Oxford

If anyone is interested, then the 'Mathematics for Computer Science' part-time evening course with the Continuing Education Department at the University of Oxford is still open for enrolment. Course starts Monday 11th April 2016, and runs for a total of 10 Monday evenings sessions from 7pm-9.30pm between 11th April-27th June 2016 (excludes Bank Holidays).

This course is pretty unique, so it may also be useful to you and/or any of your friends to know about as it could add a valuable string to a bow!

Best to enrol before 3rd April 2016, if interested.
(edited 8 years ago)
It looks very interesting, but why is it worth £255 when you can learn all those things for free from say Khan Academy?

Top American universities put materials online for free, it seems like you're paying to mess around at Oxford more than for valuable learning.
Reply 2
Original post by Mahmoud X
It looks very interesting, but why is it worth £255 when you can learn all those things for free from say Khan Academy?

Top American universities put materials online for free, it seems like you're paying to mess around at Oxford more than for valuable learning.

I think it's because people have different learning styles. Some people value in-class learning in combination with online/independent learning. Naturally, in-class learning has a cost associated with it, because the tutor needs to be paid, as well as the cost of the facilities/venue/library, lol!

Also, this Oxford course comes with assessments and students can earn a certificate to add a string to their bow. I've done online courses, and in my opinion the assessments/feedback are not always that rigorous.

Research has suggested that classroom based learning is very beneficial for higher order thinking skills to develop a deeper understanding through discussion, bouncing off ideas and problem-based learning in a group etc. Humans are social animals, so that's part of the science behind in-class learning being more effective. Saying that, self-study is very important too - successful learning is often a combination of classroom-based learning and self-study.

Hope that helps! :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Juxtapose
If anyone is interested, then the 'Mathematics for Computer Science' part-time evening course with the Continuing Education Department at the University of Oxford is still open for enrolment. Course starts Monday 11th April 2016, and runs for a total of 10 Monday evenings sessions from 7pm-9.30pm between 11th April-27th June 2016 (excludes Bank Holidays).

This course is pretty unique, so it may also be useful to you and/or any of your friends to know about as it could add a valuable string to a bow!

OP, have you taken this course personally? Would you recommend it to someone who has only studied maths as far as GCSE? (Going with the assumption that you aren't a shill here)
Reply 4
Original post by GTTOG
OP, have you taken this course personally? Would you recommend it to someone who has only studied maths as far as GCSE? (Going with the assumption that you aren't a shill here)

Hey - I am taking this short course starting next month myself as I'm hoping to do an MSc in CompSci.

My highest level of Maths before applying for this course was at GCSE, and I got accepted, so I think it should be suitable for those who've only studied as far as GCSE. Worth double checking with the University themselves though as it maybe different on a case-by-case basis (their full contact details are on their page and email is: [email protected]).

Felt it was worth making people aware of the course, in case anyone else was interested, as I only stumbled upon it by accident and it is a pretty niche short course to find (especially taught in-class at a reputable institution). Also, more the merrier - it means more opportunity for diverse class discussions, sharing more varied ideas and different techniques of approaching Mathematical problems in Compsci.

As this is my first short course with Oxford's Continuing Education dept. I'm a little nervous about it - i.e. what to expect etc. However, I have asked around and the general consensus seems to be that the department's courses (they offer lots of different ones) are apparently good quality and it's valuable learning. One thing that was said is that it's aimed at the level of an undergraduate 1st year, so some graduates found it easy - but that was in relation to a different subject and each student is different etc. etc.

:-)
(edited 8 years ago)
I am just trying to imagine mathematics for computing at oxford and the only thing that comes to my head is:

Reply 6
Original post by urbanlocations
I am just trying to imagine mathematics for computing at oxford and the only thing that comes to my head is:

Lol! Or, in other words, the decimal value: 595646916949?!

(edited 8 years ago)
Lol! Or, in other words, the decimal value: 595646916949?!

Hexadecimal

OIKSHDJ0978SAYD09FYH0DS9FYADS097F6ASD0F98YASD-F9A78SD
Reply 8
Hey - I am taking this short course starting next month myself as I'm hoping to do an MSc in CompSci.

My highest level of Maths before applying for this course was at GCSE, and I got accepted, so I think it should be suitable for those who've only studied as far as GCSE. Worth double checking with the University themselves though as it maybe different on a case-by-case basis (their full contact details are on their page and email is: [email protected]).

Felt it was worth making people aware of the course, in case anyone else was interested, as I only stumbled upon it by accident and it is a pretty niche short course to find (especially taught in-class at a reputable institution). Also, more the merrier - it means more opportunity for diverse class discussions, sharing more varied ideas and different techniques of approaching Mathematical problems in Compsci.

As this is my first short course with Oxford's Continuing Education dept. I'm a little nervous about it - i.e. what to expect etc. However, I have asked around and the general consensus seems to be that the department's courses (they offer lots of different ones) are apparently good quality and it's valuable learning. One thing that was said is that it's aimed at the level of an undergraduate 1st year, so some graduates found it easy - but that was in relation to a different subject and each student is different etc. etc.

Interesting. I am in the same boat as yourself and am worried I will be overwhelmed by the maths content on a Comp Sci MSc so this could be perfect for people in our position. Good find.
Reply 9
Original post by GTTOG
Good find.

Yeah - I was quite excited when I found it! Lol!

I don't live in Oxford, but I'm going to travel in to do the course. It's only on 10 Monday evenings, and I think I can manage that - and also support/boost it with online materials too. There is a certificate/assessment with the course too, which maybe useful!

Where are you going to do your CompSci MSc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Yeah - I was quite excited when I found it! Lol!

I don't live in Oxford, but I'm going to travel in to do the course. It's only on 10 Monday evenings, and I think I can manage that - and also support/boost it with online materials too. There is a certificate/assessment with the course too, which maybe useful!

Where are you going to do your CompSci MSc?

Same here but it's not an issue as I have plenty of free time these days. I'm looking at Bristol, Glasgow (for software dev.) and Kent. Yourself?
Reply 11
Bump - deadline is approaching, if anyone is interested...

Been told there are still places available for this course and, if interested, it's best to enrol before 3rd April 2016:

'Mathematics for Computer Science' part-time evening course with the Continuing Education Department at the University of Oxford is still open for enrolment until about 3rd April 2016. Course starts Monday 11th April 2016, and runs for a total of 10 Monday evenings sessions from 7pm-9.30pm between 11th April-27th June 2016 (excludes Bank Holidays).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending