The Student Room Group

Best A levels for a maths degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theconfusedman
OK now you're just contradicting yourself. I didnt say anything about the new a levels released in 2017, I was talking about the A levels starting in sept 2016.

'Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams' - This is what you said, which is wrong because when im in year 13 (in 2018), i will be doing the modular test. I cant see how I can make that any clearer. I wasnt there just to quote you, but to make sure others dont get confused too.

No need for you to start a petty argument, you've embarrassed yourself enough already.

Hun it's not that deep how am I gonna be embarrassed over this Lmaoo

Yes year 13s starting in 2018. How's that wrong lolll?

Noones gonna get confused Hun because I previously said linear maths starts in September 2017 for year 12s (which is clearly correct). You were trying to shine or somet I really don't know but calm down with the pettiness
Original post by RonnieRJ

Yes year 13s starting in 2018. How's that wrong lolll?

Your stupidity annoys me. Dont quote me again.
Your stupidity annoys me. Dont quote me again.

Dont blame me if you can't understand dates :wink: get them right for your GCSE exams Hun
Dont blame me if you can't understand dates :wink: get them right for your GCSE exams Hun

I can understand what your saying but its wrong. You know what, just forget it, as you said it aint that deep.
I can understand what your saying but its wrong. You know what, just forget it, as you said it aint that deep.

Reforms start: September 2017
A students starts year 12 September 2017
The same student starts year 13 September 2018
Therefore he is a year 13 student in 2018 doing linear maths

Repeat it to yourself a couple times maybe you'll get the jist

Nope you're wrong.
'Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams'
This is what you said. You said nothing about SEPTEMBER 2018. Just 2018. Also, September 2018 year 13 students do their exams in 2019, whereas a 2018 student does the exam in 2018, which is modular.

As I said, dont twist your words, its embarrassing.
Nope you're wrong.
'Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams'
This is what you said. You said nothing about SEPTEMBER 2018. Just 2018. Also, September 2018 year 13 students do their exams in 2019, whereas a 2018 student does the exam in 2018, which is modular.

As I said, dont twist your words, its embarrassing.

Honey I think I know what I meant Lmaooo

If I was saying they start the course in 2017, I used the year after to indicate they're the first year 13s to do the new course. People replied because they actually understood what I meant unlike you lmao

Lol how you gonna tell me what I meant, it's ok my aggrevated child just accept you got the wrong thing lmao
Maths and further maths are required if you're applying to anywhere decent. Physics and AFM are good but not necessary. Doing STEP or reading more maths would be better.

You don't sit your actual AS exams for the linear courses anymore (eg physics you will do both AS and A2 exams at the end of year 13). They might make you sit mocks but that's about it. Maths remains modular until 2017

For a lot of schools/colleges, students will take AS exams in year 12 as normal, then take all the new full A-level exams in year 13. If you do okay in your A2 then the AS doesn't count but if you fail your A2 then at least you have an AS in the subject.
Original post by morgan8002
Maths and further maths are required if you're applying to anywhere decent. Physics and AFM are good but not necessary. Doing STEP or reading more maths would be better.

For a lot of schools/colleges, students will take AS exams in year 12 as normal, then take all the new full A-level exams in year 13. If you do okay in your A2 then the AS doesn't count but if you fail your A2 then at least you have an AS in the subject.

In addition to this, a science or any 'hard'(I think unis usually list this) subject is adequate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm that's odd, the two schools I did my a levels at, one a grammar, one a comp, are not doing the AS exams in the first year for this years lower sixth. Although I guess it's the same thing but some schools make you do the AS exams twice I assume? Year 12 and year 13?
For Oxford University they require: A*A*A with an A* in Maths and Further Maths if taken (surely you should do both!!!) But for the other two I'd do something Maths related say Physics (putting Maths into another perspective), but also Economics as well again using maths again but also within a different perspective this time in a financial and political environment. But also things like IT/Computing and Computing also help :smile: I would also say Business Studies, but not a highly regarded A Level for Oxford/Cambridge
Reply 71

Gist, not jist.
Original post by warmday
Gist, not jist.

Nah how fckn petty lmaoo leave

why does my spelling bother you? :rolleyes:
Original post by drandy76
In addition to this, a science or any 'hard'(I think unis usually list this) subject is adequate

Posted from TSR Mobile

This'll be useful but isn't strictly necessary.
Hm that's odd, the two schools I did my a levels at, one a grammar, one a comp, are not doing the AS exams in the first year for this years lower sixth. Although I guess it's the same thing but some schools make you do the AS exams twice I assume? Year 12 and year 13?

Yeah I think they're doing all the AS exams twice: once each year. I know the college I went to is doing that.
This'll be useful but isn't strictly necessary.

Yeah I think they're doing all the AS exams twice: once each year. I know the college I went to is doing that.

Ah that's not too bad, although won't the first AS levels sat not count if you resit the next year with the A2 exams? My comp school probably didn't want to spend their money on double entries and the grammar probably thought it wasnt necessary
Ah that's not too bad, although won't the first AS levels sat not count if you resit the next year with the A2 exams? My comp school probably didn't want to spend their money on double entries and the grammar probably thought it wasnt necessary

Yeah, as I said. They get "overwritten" when you take the full A-level. It gives you some insurance if you fail the A-level and at least gives you something to apply to universities with. Also, if people don't work in the first year they get a shock when they fail their AS exams and hopefully improve for 2nd year. I'm glad I'm not doing the new system. It seems so much worse for students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 77
chemistry is pretty difficult and requires a lot of time, economics or business would also be good since numbers are involved etc. however id pick french instead of chemitry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honey I think I know what I meant Lmaooo

If I was saying they start the course in 2017, I used the year after to indicate they're the first year 13s to do the new course. *People replied because they actually understood what I meant unlike you lmao*

Lol how you gonna tell me what I meant, it's ok my aggrevated child just accept you got the wrong thing lmao

Even you acknowledged that what you said wasnt true and people implied that that is what you went.

Or to put it simply, you know you said the wrong thing, since you need everything to be said simply.
Even you acknowledged that what you said wasnt true and people implied that that is what you went.

Or to put it simply, you know you said the wrong thing, since you need everything to be said simply.

Are you dumb I've been saying I'm correct in saying the new a levels start in September 2017 lol. How are you gonna pass your English GCSE at this rate?

Quick Reply

Latest