The Student Room Group

When you get married do you want your own separate bank account ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
Not happening in my marriage. See neomasculinity vs, the perils of female financial autonomy for reference. Pragmatic sustainability ftw :yy:

So one?
23 and still growing. I would just hope my lady wont secretly stash monies away from me.

I'm more along the lines of what's mine is our's. So if she has £££ stashed with her, I would hope she will happily give it up if I genuinely asked for it... .... 😬
We both should have are own account and a separate joint account for bills and home stuff
Original post by Foo.mp3
We'll use a shared account, aye. I'm an all or nothing kinda guy when it comes to serious long term relationships :colonhash:

Woooowwww I love this ! It should really be like this, but I get why people want their own thing.
joint. 22
Individual accounts for individual spending

Joint account for maintaining house, bills, kids etc

Don't like the idea of shoving both our wages into one big pool

I'm 18
What's insecure is needing a joint bank account to prove how committed your relationship is. Which is basically the reason 90% of the people in this thread have given.
Original post by HFBS
If you entered the marriage with significant assets then there is an argument for a prenup, although I'm not sure how much UK courts actually take notice of them. I'm sure a law student would be able to clarify. But fundamentally, having a separate account will not stop one party in a divorce from having to pay a settlement to the other, no.

isn't that called alimony? :hmmmm:
it's so expensive to divorce lool
Original post by Foo.mp3
We'll use a shared account, aye. I'm an all or nothing kinda guy when it comes to serious long term relationships :colonhash:

Okay but what's wrong with her having another Account for herself?
I won't get married (:frown:) but if I did then I'd like to have my own account plus a shared one for the house.
Separate, for keeping track of things
Original post by xobeauty
Or shared?

And why?... And disclose your age.

Both. One for the main joint one
Separate, because I have like 13 banks :biggrin:
Original post by Foo.mp3
If there's a logistical reason for it, then fair enough, but otherwise it's about being a team in every respect, plus shared financial decision making and my financial oversight :scrooge:

Sure,that's why you can have a joint account and one separate one for her own spending
Mid 20s.

We've been together 5 years, and we've got a joint account that we both pay into each month for our bills etc, but having our own accounts is a must.

He can spend whatever he wants from his own account on his motorbike, and I can spend whatever I want from my own account when I go off travelling and leave him at home. Works great for us.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not sure I follow, m'dear:mute:

You'll still have a joint account and your wife can have her own for her own spending
Original post by Foo.mp3
Does not compute. What's the point in her having her own account if I have control/oversight anyway? :dontknow:

So you can be less controlling :laugh:
Yes, I feel like I would.
Original post by Foo.mp3
No need. My wifey will be 110% on board. Indeed, she'll be relieved that someone with my economic pedigree, not to mention discipline/reliability, is there and has the inclination/ability to keep family affairs and finances on lock-down :ninja:

Would you freak out if she spent $250 on clothes for herself would you question her? Would you even care?
I don't know what I want yet, our own and joint sounds smart but morally sounds no no.
Seen too many controlling people who want an itemised run down of every penny spent / people who clear out joint accounts before leaving, not to see the necessity of having one's own money. So either separate accounts or joint one for bills.

Even the latter is not fool proof when the other party doesn't pay in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending