The Student Room Group

Turkey joining the EU? Disucuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
God no I hope it doesn't.

You'd have millions of savage,uneducated migrants who come from a backward culture running to the UK,Sweden and Germany for benefits.

...oh my god. Seeing your half Indian also, I thought you would be against awful stereotypes. Please stay away from my posts/ threads.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
If they don't join the EU, they have a right to release all migrants into Europe which I wouldn't blame them for doing in all honesty.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Foreign policy - Not relevant.

Press Freedom/Activists - What values? The EU (and Member States) don't really subscribe to the values that they signed up for.

We live in an era of the greatest mass surveillance, eroding our personal freedoms and we acquiesce for "national security" reasons.

The only difference between us and Turkey is that we have a piece of paper saying that we guarantee rights whilst subverting them underhandedly whilst Turkey does it openly.

If you want Turkey to do it underhandedly, then you only have to tell them and I'm sure they will be more than happy to do so.

Because the EU can only legislate in, and determine areas where it has been given competency by Member States to legislate in.

Does this country's government mistreat journalists and take over media organisations, for example? Do journalists and activists get detained under anti terror laws? Our media isn't perfect but to compare it to Turkey in terms of treatment of journalists and government interference/censorship is just ridiculous.

I'm not bringing these things up because of whether the EU can or can't legislate in them. I'm bringing it up because a country that has these sort of problems with their governance and supports Islamist rebels in Syria should not be signed up to an organisation like the EU. They just don't belong.
Reply 43
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
God no I hope it doesn't.

You'd have millions of savage,uneducated migrants who come from a backward culture running to the UK,Sweden and Germany for benefits.

The Turks are quite nice actually. Better than South Asians anyway.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Does this country's government mistreat journalists and take over media organisations, for example? Do journalists and activists get detained under anti terror laws? Our media isn't perfect but to compare it to Turkey in terms of treatment of journalists and government interference/censorship is just ridiculous.

Yes, our country does engage in such practices, as highlighted by the recent cases of the Guardian journalists (David Miranda, I believe his name was).

The fact is that Turkey is undergoing a severe overhaul of entire institutions which, in the most recent past, has been generally supportive of coups against democratically elected governments is a work in progress.

Jesus Christ, you think we suddenly became free and liberal overnight because a piece of paper said we were? You think that we didn't have to battle entire institutions that were not happy with the curtailment of their power? You think that because we are in such a state, that other countries should also be without having any appreciation or regard to it's history?

I'm not bringing these things up because of whether the EU can or can't legislate in them. I'm bringing it up because a country that has these sort of problems with their governance and supports Islamist rebels in Syria should not be signed up to an organisation like the EU. They just don't belong.

As opposed to us (and many EU countries) who support Wahabist despotic rulers in the Gulf in addition to supporting Islamist rebels in Syria?

Come now, if you want to sling mud, then let us do so in a fair and justiciable manner.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is the exact reason why the UK should leave the EU...
....but they are Muslims. Absolutely no place in the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turkey joining makes as much sense as Britain jointing the African Union
Constantinople can join the EU. Just that part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
If we ban Turkey for the treatment of the Kurds we should also ban Spain for its treatment of Catalans and Basques. While we're also talking about legitimacy and democracy, we could ban Spain and Italy for the same reasons since corruption is endemic in these countries. People who are saying Turkey is not a European country, Istanbul is a cosmopolitan centre in Europe, Turkish has a Latin alphabet, the Turks have had a significant influence on the Balkan countries due to ruling them for centuries, not to mention comparatively it is a secular country which promotes science over superstition.
Original post by Hussm
The Turks are quite nice actually. Better than South Asians anyway.

Kindness has nothing to do with economic and foreign affairs.
Reply 51
Original post by AccountingBabe
....but they are Muslims. Absolutely no place in the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not?
Original post by Hussm
Why not?

The issue should not be directed at Muslims but Islam as a religion.
I'd just let them in lol
Reply 54
Original post by Aceadria
The issue should not be directed at Muslims but Islam as a religion.

It seems to be the opposite on this thread.
Original post by Hussm
It seems to be the opposite on this thread.

Bigotry exists on both sides of the spectrum.
What we really need to do is allow Turkey to join, stay in the EU for a few more years and see how high we can drive house prices :sly:
Original post by Longshot700
...oh my god. Seeing your half Indian also, I thought you would be against awful stereotypes. Please stay away from my posts/ threads.

Awful stereotypes? I'm not being stereotypical sweetheart. Majority of the migrants happen to be men who have left their families so they can benefit scrounge in Europe.
The day that Turkey is permitted to join the EU is the day that i wholeheartedly back leaving even without a referendum.

They are still poor and they are still a Muslim nation, they are not one of us and they will not be an asset to us for decades.

Let them release the migrants, European nations have no obligation to let them in.
Original post by AntiWhitesOut
Turkey joining makes as much sense as Britain jointing the African Union

maybe it will do oneday :sly:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending