The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield vs York undergrad History

I have applied to both Sheffield and York to study History. Yet both seem really good, and I can't decide which to go to.

I like the course at both, but Sheffield city seems a little shabby. I was also unsure about the second year accommodation. The graduate prospects also appeared to be inferior to those at York. Is the feeling of community that strong? Are people bullied?

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know anything about Sheffield, but York has a very strong history department and the city is much, much nicer. I doubt there is any difference in terms of graduate prospects though. I'm sure bullying isn't really an issue at university, but even if it was, you're not more likely to be bullied at Sheffield than York.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by dexterford97
I have applied to both Sheffield and York to study History. Yet both seem really good, and I can't decide which to go to.

I like the course at both, but Sheffield city seems a little shabby. I was also unsure about the second year accommodation. The graduate prospects also appeared to be inferior to those at York. Is the feeling of community that strong? Are people bullied?

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! I'm a third year Economist at the University of Sheffield, but also know York really well. I know I am biased, but I would 100% choose Sheffield over York for University.

The second/third year accommodation in Sheffield is excellent. Most of it is in an area called Crookesmoor (Crookesmoor Road, Harcourt Road, Bower Road), which is no more than a 10 minute walk to the campus. Other popular areas (which are a bit cheaper as they are a little further away) are Broomhill and Crookes. Nobody really lives more than a 20 minute walk from campus, which is really good. Sheffield is very compact and you can walk everywhere. The houses in Crookesmoor are typical student houses, generally between 4-10 people, mostly Victorian terraced and semi-detached. Because the area is nearly 100% students, there is a great atmosphere and all your friends live nearby.

Sheffield is a really, really nice city. Some parts are a little shabby "Castle Market, around the bus station, etc.), but the vast part of the city centre have been completely redeveloped over the past 20 years and are really nice. Search Google Images for: Sheffield Peace Gardens (in the city centre), Sheffield Winter Gardens (next to the Peace Gardens), Sheffield Botanical Gardens (close to the campus and Endcliffe halls of residence), Devonshire Green (between the campus and city centre). Broomhill is where the majority of first year residences are located, and is really nice - mostly Victorian houses and a good selection of shops (and a Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tescos). Also search for Weston Park (which is between the University and Crookesmoor).

Most first year students live in Endcliffe or Ranmoor student villages, these are set in landscaped grounds and are only a 20 minute walk to University (everyone walks down/back together, so the walk isn't an issue, and you can always catch the bus fro £1).

Finally, just a couple more reasons. In my opinion, the buildings on campus are much nicer at Sheffield - search for: Western Bank Library; Information Commons: The Diamond (those are our 3 main libraries); Jessop West (the history department building); Sheffield Students' Union (voted best in the country for 7 years in a row [Times Higher Student Experience Survey]); Sir Frederick Mappin building; Firth Court (the oldest University building). We have a great mix of traditional red brick and modern buildings. Also the Students' Union is amazing - as I mentioned above it's the best in the UK, they do loads of good club nights there, have 2 students bars, 360 societies and 55 sports teams.

If you have any more questions about Sheffield, the Uni, the facilities, etc., please don't hesitate to message me. : - D
Reply 3
Hi,
Yeah ive got an offer from sheffield for history and politics! Was wondering about student employment? is it a popular thing for students to get jobs while working because i know i will have to, to afford anything? Also what are the halls like and do you have any recommendations?
Cheers

Original post by SheffieldWill
Hi! I'm a third year Economist at the University of Sheffield, but also know York really well. I know I am biased, but I would 100% choose Sheffield over York for University.

The second/third year accommodation in Sheffield is excellent. Most of it is in an area called Crookesmoor (Crookesmoor Road, Harcourt Road, Bower Road), which is no more than a 10 minute walk to the campus. Other popular areas (which are a bit cheaper as they are a little further away) are Broomhill and Crookes. Nobody really lives more than a 20 minute walk from campus, which is really good. Sheffield is very compact and you can walk everywhere. The houses in Crookesmoor are typical student houses, generally between 4-10 people, mostly Victorian terraced and semi-detached. Because the area is nearly 100% students, there is a great atmosphere and all your friends live nearby.

Sheffield is a really, really nice city. Some parts are a little shabby "Castle Market, around the bus station, etc.), but the vast part of the city centre have been completely redeveloped over the past 20 years and are really nice. Search Google Images for: Sheffield Peace Gardens (in the city centre), Sheffield Winter Gardens (next to the Peace Gardens), Sheffield Botanical Gardens (close to the campus and Endcliffe halls of residence), Devonshire Green (between the campus and city centre). Broomhill is where the majority of first year residences are located, and is really nice - mostly Victorian houses and a good selection of shops (and a Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tescos). Also search for Weston Park (which is between the University and Crookesmoor).

Most first year students live in Endcliffe or Ranmoor student villages, these are set in landscaped grounds and are only a 20 minute walk to University (everyone walks down/back together, so the walk isn't an issue, and you can always catch the bus fro £1).

Finally, just a couple more reasons. In my opinion, the buildings on campus are much nicer at Sheffield - search for: Western Bank Library; Information Commons: The Diamond (those are our 3 main libraries); Jessop West (the history department building); Sheffield Students' Union (voted best in the country for 7 years in a row [Times Higher Student Experience Survey]); Sir Frederick Mappin building; Firth Court (the oldest University building). We have a great mix of traditional red brick and modern buildings. Also the Students' Union is amazing - as I mentioned above it's the best in the UK, they do loads of good club nights there, have 2 students bars, 360 societies and 55 sports teams.

If you have any more questions about Sheffield, the Uni, the facilities, etc., please don't hesitate to message me. : - D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending