The Student Room Group

Exeter vs Edinburgh

Hi, so have offers for Eng Lit at both Exeter and Edinburgh, both A*AA, but not sure which I want to go to more. Any help would be great. Have been to Exeter applicant day and am going to one in Edinburgh shortly. My main dilemma is that Exeter is ranked higher, but is much much closer to home, and a smaller city. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by ohitstia
Hi, so have offers for Eng Lit at both Exeter and Edinburgh, both A*AA, but not sure which I want to go to more. Any help would be great. Have been to Exeter applicant day and am going to one in Edinburgh shortly. My main dilemma is that Exeter is ranked higher, but is much much closer to home, and a smaller city. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Please do not take rankings too seriously, they're nearly all wrong. Edinburgh is much more prestigious (in the UK and abroad) than Exeter. Which university has the modules you most want to do? At Edinburgh you have to study at least two, maybe three subjects for the first two years before you can focus just on English - is that something you'd be up for?
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Please do not take rankings too seriously, they're nearly all wrong. Edinburgh is much more prestigious (in the UK and abroad) than Exeter. Which university has the modules you most want to do? At Edinburgh you have to study at least two, maybe three subjects for the first two years before you can focus just on English - is that something you'd be up for?

I am leaning towards Edinburgh at the moment, but everyone I've asked has seemed to say they believe Exeter to be more prestigious. Exeter has lots of modules I would love, but as does Edinburgh, and I would like to be able to do two other subjects initially. Also, have heard Edinburgh is a lovely city.
Original post by ohitstia
I am leaning towards Edinburgh at the moment, but everyone I've asked has seemed to say they believe Exeter to be more prestigious. Exeter has lots of modules I would love, but as does Edinburgh, and I would like to be able to do two other subjects initially. Also, have heard Edinburgh is a lovely city.

Edinburgh is more prestigious in terms of international reputation.

Also, it is important to note you have managed to get an offer for one of the most competitive courses at Edinburgh, congratulations!
My friend who dropped out of Durham doing English applied to Edinburgh and received a rejection, despite having the typical offer grades. Also, Edinburgh has moved it's typical grades up A*A*A for English for 2017 entry which just shows how competitive it is.

I currently do the three module system at Edinburgh and I love the fact there is flexibility- it's really a bonus in my opinion.

Edinburgh is also a lovely city, so beautiful and packed with culture yet never dull and full of life.

Having said that, Exeter would also be fantastic- it's personal choice and what kind of university you think you'd suit best- you wouldn't be doing badly at either.
(edited 8 years ago)
Edinburgh anyday of the week. Easily a top 5-6 UK uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending